Multi Foundation delivery configuration on Citrix

Jane_d

Hello all,
we are reviewing the option of running multiple foundations on our E1 810 tools 8.94 install. Foundation 1 will be used by the PD environment only and Foundation 2 will support the remaining environments. The issue we are most concerned about is the Citrix configuration. Currently we deliver all environments with a single Citrix published app. The plan is to create a second published app. Each foundation will have its own set of citrix servers and own published app. The challenge is that we have several users that will need citrix access to both publication.

We believe that there will be an issue if a user logs onto production and gets a jde.ini that points to foundation1 and then later logs on to Development and the JDE.INI time stamp is older than that of the JDE.INI that was delivered when the user logged on to Production. The user will not be able to logon because their personal copy of the JDE.INI will point to foundation1.

We do not have an environment yet to test this but, trying to be proactive, we are looking to see how other companies are dealing with this.

One thought we had was to change the published app to call a script somthing like this:
copy [citrixservername]c:\JDE.ini [homedrive]:\
c:\e810\system\bin32\activeconsole.exe
basically force the copy of the jde.ini everytime the user launches the citrix published app.

THank you in advance for your time

The only way to do this is to have two sets of citrix servers - one for the commonly used foundation, the second set for the other foundation.

Usually you only TEST the multi-foundation for a short while (like a couple of weeks) amongst a handful of users. Usually, this test occurs in DV or PY or some other pre-production environment.

Multifoundation is not meant for long-term production use. You are likely to have issues having more than one foundation accessing the same data.

In your example, you are correctly having foundation1 against PD, and foundation2 against the other environments - therefore you only usually need a single citrix server to handle this.

If you only have one citrix server, then go out and get a second one. No-one should just have a single citrix box - everyone should have test/DV running on a separate citrix server to ensure that they don't muck up production issues.

By the way, I personally just bought a quad xeon Dell 6850 with 32Gb of memory for $399 on ebay - so I have no sympathy for those customers who "don't have the cash for a test/development server" ! There are a couple of Dell 6850's of similar size for the same $$ on ebay right now.

Certainly do not have more than one foundation accessing the TAM files in 8.10 - that would be a major issue and would have distinct Spec Corruption issues.

Jon,
Thank you for your time to review my question.

I agree about the short term existence of two different foundations. The reason we are implementing Multiple foundation sets is only to support 2 ports on our enterprise server, we are not actually updating the foundation code yet. The concern is when all environments share the same set of queues and foundation, we are very limited as to when we can deploy packages and would like to separate the PD from non-PD environments as much as we can but still use the same enterprise server. Each foundation will have its own queues/directories and port number

The point about having the only a single citrix server is valid, no worries we have load balancing and contingency well covered there.

My real concern is the multiple ports ie foundation1 uses port 6012 and Foundation2 uses port 6112. Since the port is identified in the JDE.ini my concern is how will the client get the correct JDE.ini for the right environment?

In the past I have seen issue where the jde.ini update. This is the process, as I understand it:
1) The user logs on to citrix jde published app
2)The timestamp on the jde.ini users home is compared to the time stamp on the for jde.ini on the citrix server(stored in the registry).
3)If the home drive has the newer ini, the home drive ini is left asis
4)if the citrix has a newer timestamp than the citrix server copy is propagated to the client home drive.

My concern is if users are moving back and forth between pd and dv or port 6012 and port 6112, then the jde.ini in the users home drive may not have the correct port for the environment they are trying to logon to.

Thank you again for your assistance

Hi Jane,

You can try creating two profile folders one to access PD and other for non PD environments for the same user which contains appropriate jde.ini settings.You can map these folders from user Terminal service account but not sure how to achieve this using single citrix server.

Terminal Servers are not capable of running two Tools Releases concurrently,
without using a virtualization solution.

Behalf Of Davidlivingston
Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:32 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Multi Foundation delivery configuration on Citrix

Hi Jane,

You can try creating two profile folders one to access PD and other for non
PD environments for the same user which contains appropriate jde.ini
settings.You can map these folders from user Terminal service account but
not sure how to achieve this using single citrix server.

David Livingston JDEdwards Techo/CNC Consultant

_____

The entire
JDELIST thread is available for viewing.

Looking for a job? Check out the Job
forum

This is the JDELIST EnterpriseOne Mailing List.
JDELIST is not affiliated with JDEdwardsR.

To unsubscribe from this list via email, Click
<mailto: [email protected]?Subject=Unsubscribe&Body=Sirs,

Pl
ease remove this address from the JDELIST EnterpriseOne M

Re: RE: Multi Foundation delivery configuration on Citrix

Just to clarify,
We have 3 production citrix servers using a single published app (JDEPD)and 2 citrix servers supporting a single published app(JDETEST) for DV/CRP

[ QUOTE ]

In the past I have seen issue where the jde.ini update. This is the process, as I understand it:
1) The user logs on to citrix jde published app
2)The timestamp on the jde.ini users home is compared to the time stamp on the for jde.ini on the citrix server(stored in the registry).
3)If the home drive has the newer ini, the home drive ini is left asis
4)if the citrix has a newer timestamp than the citrix server copy is propagated to the client home drive.

[/ QUOTE ]
A much easier method is to not actually publish oexplore.exe (or activeconsole or whatever) - but instead publish a startup.bat file - where this batch file performs some pre-logic (such as copying over the correct INI file for the user) and THEN launches oexplore.exe.

By publishing a DOS Batch file, you have a LOT more control over what the users session can and cannot do - and, of course, you can set it not to echo, to always run the batch file minimized (or even hidden) and without the user being able to "break" the script as well - but usually most batch files run so quickly, your users won't actually see the DOS window running !

Now, by publishing the batch file, you'll be able to "change" the port number for that citrix session and correctly do what you want it to do.

Of course, that is if you are running just a single "type" of foundation - just against two different ports (my question is, again, "WHY?!")

If, on the other hand, you want to run different foundations on the same citrix server - then you'll have to have the entire pathcode/foundation copied to a users profile directory and set up the server the same way as you would set it up for multi-user development - but this would necessitate a lot of disk space for user profiles....see my document "development under citrix" (listed in tips & tricks or on my website) for steps on how this is performed.

Back