Interoperability for Cardex (F4111)

• Thread starter Frosty the Coder
  • Start date

Frosty the Coder

Legendary Poster
I'm looking for, but not seeing, something like a P4111Z to upload physical inventory counts.
Does one exist?

Please AND Thanks
Gene

You can use P4141Z1 to load your cycle count results. The application will
populate F4141Z1 and can be processed by R4141Z1I.

Guy Robert
Syntax.Net

I don't have those objects on our system. I wonder if they're part of Enterprise One?
In World you can use the EDI Inbound Product Activity Data functionality. You populate the F47121 / F47122 header and detail files, and then run P47121 to perform the Edit / Update step.
There's an excellent white paper or how to document on the website that explains how to configure the records for physical counts.

4141Z isn't on this system.
The 47s are and I did find the white paper mentioned.

Thanks.
Gene

I am confused.=C2=A0 JDE has a whole process for doing a physical inventory count.=C2=A0 Generating the count tags, entering the count results, and up dating all the various files that need to be updated (including creating th e journal entries).=C2=A0 You should be using the JDE process.=C2=A0
=C2=A0
John Dickey

Agreed! To set up inventory you just need to do either a physical inventory or a cycle count, and the balances will be set according to the count. This will create the necessary adjustments in the Cardex.

I can't speak for the original poster, but there are occasions when it is desirable to load physical inventory counts from an already existing flat file or other electronic record, rather than having to rekey them into the green screen in JDE.
Some examples are instances where there is a third party warehouse management system with its own hand held devices and server, a division which is not on JD Edwards, or where you've hired an inventory service company to do a physical count and you want to upload their counts from their hand held devices.

Being the original poster, I CAN SPEAK FOR MYSELF (just don't tell my wife).
The issue at this site is that they've had JDE for 10+ years, but haven't LEARNED IT.
They do physical inventory onto an excel sheet, and have someone rekey it.
I want to eliminate the rekey.

Please AND Thanks.
Gene

Definitely! In this case, you should be able to upload the data from Excel into the format used by the Cycle Count, F4141 if I remember correctly. You can then use the Cycle Count processing to update inventory.

Alternatively you could use the Physical Inventory process file.

I personally would be leery of uploading from an Excel spreadsheet directly into one of the JDE count files.=C2=A0 JDE data entry program to enter the counts does some basic editing against the data.=C2=A0 If you simply uploa d data into the file without doing the same editing you could be asking for trouble.=C2=A0 If you want to automate the entry, there are handheld softw are products, like DCLINK, that would let you scan a tag and enter the coun t and send that data to the physical inventory count record.=C2=A0 Or you c ould even write your own routine to replicate the data entry function on a handheld device.=C2=A0 This is all still linked to the JDE physical invento ry process, which really should be what needs to be followed.
=C2=A0
John Dickey

OK, I was a contestant on "Wheel of Priorities" and this is back at the top of my list.

RIGHT NOW, I am STUCK at the "pc support/client access/iNavigator"
step of getting the .txt from PC to the 400.

I've been UNABLE to find the correct documentation telling me the gory details of this step.
(I've searched JDE and IBM sites)
confused.gif

Would someone PLEASE be very kind and detail those steps for me?

Please AND Thanks

As always, clueless....
Gene

My post yesterday is only showing up when the "threaded" view is used.

I'm back onto this, and am stuck at square #1, upload the .txt file.
I've searched here, IBM, and JDE looking for the specific instructions
for "iNavigator" 5.3
I haven't FOUND the manual to be able to read it.

Would someone please detail the "client access/pc support" steps getting TO the 400?

Please AND Thanks
Gene
A7.3.11

Gene,
Are you wanting to transfer a Microsoft Excel worksheet up to the 400? Your Excel program will have the icons on its menu bar for Data Transfer To/From the iSeries. If not there yet, you can add the icons easily. The steps to add the icons to Excel 2003 are a bit different from what Excel 2007 requires.

Thanks, yes that describes what they had said they wanted to do,
and what I couldn't find in "pc support".

FORTUNATELY they've realized the folly of trying to automate physical inventory (at this time).
I'll get to spend some time keying BUT staying w/in the system.

Thanks ALL again.

Back