Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Data Encryption Business Function

Re: Data Encryption Business Function

How would I create a base64 encoded field in my file through the DD or a base64 encoded field in my business function?

I understand the reason/concept but not clear on how to create the field attributes. In the DD I see the following possibilities:

Code Description
    1 Character
    11 Date
    15 Integer
    17 Character (Blob)
    18 Binary (Blob)
    19 Binary
    2 String
    20 Variable String
    55 PeopleSoft UTime
    7 Identifier (ID)
    9 Numeric

Thanks
    Rob

Brian is, of course, right on with the encoding issue. What about using a Binary BLOB (type 18) in your table? I think you'd need to write/update your custom table record in your BSFN where you can do the JDB_SetBLOBSize and copy the byte array.
    Craig Welton
    PatWel Group Inc.
    http://www.patwel.com
    Home of the FREE JDE Object Browser, JDETrace, NERDup and BusBuild+ Tools

E1 9.0 8.98.4.2 Wintel SQL 2008
    E1 9.2 9.2.1.4 iSeries

Craig is right, a BLOB field is the best solution if you don't need a string representation or the need to display the encrypted value or pass the value through APPL/UBE interconnects.

Just an FYI on the base64 stuff. I don't know if JDE provides any API's for doing base64 encoding - at least I never found any, there may be some buried some where. What I did when I needed base64 encoding/decoding was to use an open source library to create my own base64 encoding/decoding BSFN that I can use in JDE.
    Brian Oster
    Application Development Manager
    E1: 9.0 (TR9.1.5.1) / 9.2 (TR9.2.2.2)
    JAS/BSSV: Weblogic 12.1.2 / Weblogic 12.2
    ES: Win2008 / Win2016
    DB: MSSQL 2014 / 2016
    WebDev Client: Win7Pro / Win10Pro

Base64 Encoding would use a string data type. Its up to you though to do the encoding / decoding. In addition there are the size issues (extra characters) as already pointed out. Google to find the algorithms used.
    Larry Jones
    E1 9.2 - TR 9.2.2.6 on Win 2016 R2. SQL Server 2016
    Wintel, BI Publisher

Brian,

After looking at all my code and running some more testing. I think the base64 conversion will work better for me even if it means increasing the size of my fields.

Is it possible to post or email me the base64 source code your using and how to call the open source from a BSFN.

Thanks for all your help, this has been educational to say the least. This is pretty complicated stuff when it is all put together.

Rob

[ QUOTE ]
    Just an FYI on the base64 stuff. I don't know if JDE provides any API's for doing base64 encoding - at least I never found any, there may be some buried some where. What I did when I needed base64 encoding/decoding was to use an open source library to create my own base64 encoding/decoding BSFN that I can use in JDE.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is not a whole lot of documentation that goes with this, only what you find in the .h file. Keep in mind the string passed/returned is a ZCHAR so you will need to transcode between JCHAR/ZCHAR. Here is a code snippet on how to call:

D58FUP03_B64_ENCODE dsEnc = {0};
    DSD58FUP03A dsEncF = {0};

dsEnc.nEncodedBytes = (jde_n_byte *)(&dsXfer.nSize);
    dsEnc.src = (void *)pb;
    dsEnc.srcSize = nBinSize;
    dsEnc.dest = dsXfer.chunk;
    dsEnc.destLen = sizeof(dsXfer.chunk);

dsEncF.idPtrHandle = jdeStoreDataPtr(hUser, (void *)&dsEnc);

jdeCallObject( _J("AcmeFxfer_b64_encode"), (LPFNBHVR)NULL, lpBhvrCom, lpVoid,
    (void *)&dsEncF, (CALLMAP *)NULL, 0, (JCHAR *)NULL, (JCHAR *)NULL, 0);

Oh, and there is very little error checking, and by "little", I mean virtually none.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Brian Oster

HI Rob - Were able to get this to work. I am able to Encrypt - write to a table and then decrypt. However, when I do this from an application, it throws web exception errors intermittently. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks
    SAM

E1 8.12

Hello Brian,

Could you help me out on implementing this Base64 code? Can you define for me what your dsXfer looks like? As well as the pb variable?

Thanks,
    Steve

Hi,
    I have a requirement where i get input a base64 encoded string and need to give back a decoded string. The above bsfn i understand is working with a prt Handle. how can i convert this to work with a string as input and output?

If you are talking about the BSFN above that I attached you would need to write a C BSFN that calls the BSFN above since the BSFN above can only be called by another C BSFN. Then follow the example above. Having said that I think JDE now has its own API calls you can use for encoding/decoding b64 data.

encodeB64
    decodeB64

I have not used them since I have always used my BSFN above, but the preferred way would be to use the JDE provided API. Going forward should I ever need to deal with b64 data I would personally use the jde provided APIs.
    Brian Oster

Thread Information