Menu Detailed Listing required

CNC Guy

Well Known Member
Folks,

We need a listing (an extract) of our menu structure listing the name of the menu/submenu along with the app/report and versions name. And the requirement is an extract in the same way it is displayed in the menu. for e.g.
E1 menus
--Logistics
----Sales Order
------Daily Processing
--------Task 1 (App)
--------Task 2 (report)
--------Task 3 (App)
--------Task 4 (report)

Is there a way we can extract that from F9000 and F9001?

Thanks,
CNC guy
E1 8.11 SP1
UNIX

CNC Guy,

Yes you sure can! You will need to know or work out how it works - it's not that hard. It would be easier if you new what all the different columns were and any related UDCs. The attachment to Post 98121 - old 109002 will help you with this.

I looked at this a while ago but can't remember all the details. F9005 and F9006 may be of use too - if you need to work out who has access to what. But that's another story.

The menu structure is contained in the F9001 and the detail of each task is in the F9000.

The menu list that you get when you first log on to JDE is a list of Task Views. These are the top level of each menu structure. F9001.TRRLTYPE groups all the tasks for a view. The first level of a task view is where F9001.TRRLTYPE = F9001.TRPARNTTSK. Then the various levels are set up where F9001.TRCHILDTSK in one row is also F9001.TRPARNTTSK in another row.

Anyway that should get you started. If you any questions post them and they will be answered by someone.

All the best for your task (no pun intended
smile.gif
)

Last edited:
Thanks Peter. I will try and use this information. Looks like we might have to write some complex sqls to get the data from F9000 and F9001. I was looking here to find out if somebody has already done that and we could use that stuff.

Thanks anyways mate.

CNC Guy,

I haven't seen any non-commercial report/process to produce what you require. I know All Out Security have some interesting commercial JDE reports (UBEs) and applications, all built with the JDE software, that do what you want. I don't know if Everest Software International (aka Alex Pastuhov) has a canned solution.

I don't think a straight/complex SQL will do the job, but I'm not a DBA. If I was to build something myself, I would be using an Oracle (our database) Stored Database Procedure (SDP) or, using OMW, writing a JDE UBE or application.

Once again all the best for a solution.

Thanks Peter. That's exactly what I am feeling as well as in there would be much more than simple sql's to get this.

We might get in some DBA to help us on this.

Thanks for the tipoff anyways Peter. We will let everybody know once we have some solution in place.

In the meanwhile if somebody has any clues or suggestions.. well I am ready with a a bacardi
smile.gif

I wrote one of these for SQL Server years ago, and its a real pain.

I used a set of recursive cursors, which due to the fact that you can nest cursors in SQL has to be written as a bunch of stored procedures going 10 levels deep with a bunch of work tables, and the result is stored in a final table.

To be honest I wrote it in around 2001\2002 and can't remember exactly what was going through my mind when I did, so its a bit hard to decipher. If you want to PM me I can send you a zip of it, but it is for SQL Server only.

As for AllOut, the architect is a friend of mine and he can do incredible stuff with the task views, making this tool seem a mite primitive to say the least...

CNC Guy,
Depending on what you want to do with the output, you can print this information directly from the client.
1.Turn on Menu Design
2.Switch to the Task View you want to print
3.Expand the tree levels you want to see
4.Click File-->Print, and choose a printer.

You should get an output that is indented properly and lists the names and versions of everything on that particular task view (I am attaching a sample). Like I said, it depends on what you want to use the output for if it will be useful or not.

I know it works in 8.12 and 9.0, hopefully it can do it for you in 8.11. I don't have an 8.11 machine with me, so I can't test it before offering this tidbit.

Cheers,
Matt

Attachments

• 146151-sample expanded print.pdf
    323.8 KB · Views: 335
Thanks mate. I checked and it worked in 8.11 SP1 as well.
But the problem is as you said we need it to prepare one of our menu matrices. So is there a way we can extract to excel?

Well, see, I knew you were going to ask that question. I can't really think of a way to get a pdf (I usually use a virtual PDF printer when I print menus) into an excel-esque format without getting a high-school intern to sit and perform mindless data-entry. Perhaps someone has an idea about how to rip the pdf apart and reassemble?

Cheers,
Matt

Matt,

If you have the full Adobe Acrobat (I have version 8) application you can export tables from the pdf to excel. I don't know if the reader has that functionality.

Peter,
A very good idea, I will give it a shot tonight and see what happens!

I know SQl will be the fastest. However, if you need a neat menu structure output, you may wish to try writing a simple JDE report, the code of which I'd put up on post 119519.

Yep that's right. We were able to make some sql's to get the data. But as was expected it was one full set of data and somebody had to manually mark the menus from the sub menus and so on.. I wish I could export from pdf to excel too. Unfortounalty I don't have the Full Acrobat 8.0 .. Only the reader ..!!

Shailesh-> thanks for the tip off mate. I will surely try and use it to our benefit.

Another possibility would be a PDF to Excel converter. If you get out the old google or yahoo and search on "convert PDF to Excel" you will find some cheap and even free converters. We actually bought one for $99 since we need to be able to read scanned documents (OCR).

To preserve the indenting, you may have to have excel start a new column for each submenu which will break the parent menu into separate columns. You can fix that easily with some CONCATENATE formulas in the resulting excel spreadsheet.

Jer

Hi,

We went down the PDF conversion route with some success. There was a bit of work involved in terms of tidy up as we wanted the output in an Excel document but worked fine!

Basic steps were to 'print' the menu structure from a fat client to a PDF file (using some software called PrimoPDF). Once in PDF format we opened in Adobe Acrobat and saved as a .txt file. Then we could import this into Excel using ',' and '[' as the delimiters (also selected treat consecutive delimiters as one).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sanjeev

CNC Guy - Did you figure out an easy way to do this - I am trying to get info out of these F9000 and F9001 for an easy lookup of a menu item on a menu for its location.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciate

Back