Add company

bigfoot53

bigfoot53

Hello All,
How do i add another company to my box "World 7.3 cum 13 "
We would like to add a sister company to our box, both should function as a seaperate entity but wouold like to share info as well. Can i just copy our company and then use that to create the new one ?

thanks

What do you mean by "share info"? I you looking to access the same data from two companies?

Just want to be able to reference information for each company, Such as a report that shows totals from some or all the companies,

thanks
Burce

If it were easy there would not be tens of thousands of skilled people making a living in IT and consulting.
To provide for a "sister" company so you can do some reporting you may need:
A new company, business units in the company, accounts in the business units, and accounting rules (called AAIs) so that the system does what you want and not something else. Also you could need fiscal dates, category codes, and other things to facilitate the reporting. Once all of that is setup, where is the financial information going to come from that you want to report on? You likely need interfaces and/or data conversion to bring the data into the new company, business units, and accounts.
This should not sound easy, it is not. To add additional "sisters" and "brothers" to an existing enterprise means taking care that the mix does not get homogenized such that you just messed up company one in an attempt to add company two.
Good luck.

I agree with Solutionkid

It is a major undertaking, also consider new company means new users. New company means new DreamWriter versions and data selections, new versions mean new menus, new menus mean new security plus all of the above and many more.

New company almost certainly means new business processes etc etc etc

thanks fo rall the input, the other company(s)will be very much the same setup as ours, we all operate the same way jut as seaperate facilities, the powers that be want the seaperate setup but also want to be able to access all the data in one place. is it possible to copy our envorinment completly to a new one and then purg all our data, then input theirs, basicly use the structure but not the data?

thanks
Bruce
shocked.gif

If you do not have the time (money?) to do it right in the first place; when and how are you going to find the time (money?) to fix what you have done?
World consultant since 1989!

we have the ime and soe money, but i dont feel that 150K is justifiable for copying existing data into new environment. got quote for local consultant for 150K "1028 "hours . All i need is someone to check what we have and properly copy to new envoronment we will do the rest. surly thats not 1028 hours worth of work!
confused.gif

Yes, you can copy existing environment to make new with no data. (this is DBA job)
After that:
1) CNC administrator has to do object mapping at OCM.
2) If you need some data from old environment (F0006,F0901,F0002 etc,,,) you can use R98403 to copy data from old to new environment.
But you should have knowledge about data relation model. If you don’t know you will have problem with database integrity.

Regards,
Natasa

Hi,
I've "only" got 14 years on JDE - so not in the league of solution kid - so I guess I have to agree with him!

Questions you need to ask yourself are:
1) is it a seperate legal entity - if yes then this is another company on JDE
2) does it have the same currency - if no then this is at least different accounting setup and quite likely a new company
3) does it have the same factilities as the parent (same physical mfg plant, same offices etc etc) - if not then this is at least new BU's and quite likely new company
4) do you sell from exactly the same distribution centers in the same way - if not then this is likely to be new BU's (branch plants)
5) do you sell identical items
6) do you sell to the same customers
etc etc

Your idea of just copying the data to another environment and then deleting the stuff thats different will practically leave you with a blank system. Plus you will have difficulties in getting consolidated information across the group - unless you do reporting etc outside of JDE.

In terms of the estimate - its difficult to know whether 6-7 months is right or wrong without looking at the detail of whats included. However, when I was working for a JDE partner the ROUGH estimate we used was 1.5-3 months for small to medium implementations per suite! ....

Without knowing your full circumstance its difficult to give you an informed direction, but USUALLY I would look at a new company WITHIN the same environment so security and general administration could be consolidated into one area and its generally easier overall technically to manage.
On the applications front its much easier to get to company consolidations in finance and to get total group stock holdings in inventory - plus you can assign credit limits to any joint customers - thus reducing credit risk.

I could go on in this theme - but I guess you get the drift.

Why do you want to create a completely new environment ?

Cheers

Peter

PS - note change on rough estimate (I added per suite)

That's exactly how our customer decided to add sister companies...separate environments. We setup new versions, menus, removed unneeded custom code, and tested the new environment in 3 manweeks of consulting time. Pretty barebones, but that's what the client wanted.

Hope that gives you another frame of reference.

YES, it is a seperate legal entity.
they do have the same currency.
Not the same factilities.
they sell to the sane customers just different product,and same supliers as well.
currently we have sister company setup in a test env, with only our data.
have also considered just setting up new BU ans Branch plant but not sure that will work. since they basicly do the same things as we do and have the same suppliers and customers i thought the copy of DB "to New ENV or bu"and removal of of our data then inport their data from excel or manual entry would at least get us started, suer some things would need tewaked but would it work?

thanks
for all the help

Bruce
confused.gif

Hi,
to add a little more "froth" to the beer...

I just did a bear bones 8.12 app build - "menus", versions, new company etc finance, dist and mfg in 5 days BUT I would hardly call it a full install.

In the same token someone could copy the data library, create a new library list and hey presto a new environment (give or take) in less than a day.

My points were that seperate environments suffer from business issues which at some point in the corporate architecture will need to be dealt with. Also comparason of estimates need to be on the same basis - from the little posted I wouldnt give an estimate apart from the guideline estimates for a new install.
The 1, 5, 15 or 150 ALL could be wrong as its not clear as to whats really required.

How many of us have been in two companies and the "structure" is identical - probably none of us. Versions, menus and data all reflect the differences. Even in the most displined of common model role outs I have ever seen, there has always been differences between sites let alone companies.

So - rant over
smile.gif

Coming back the question from Bruce:
"How do i add another company to my box "World 7.3 cum 13 "
We would like to add a sister company to our box, both should function as a seaperate entity but wouold like to share info as well. Can i just copy our company and then use that to create the new one ?"

Your requirement to share information looks like you want it in the same environment - customers, vendors items etc can all be shared.

Your requirement to have it as a seperate entity is met be either seperate environment or same.

Copy will only work if you want a seperate environment - although there are some tools around that might be of use.

So it looks like you requirements lead us down the route of a new company in the same environment with all the security and data set up required to make it work. The bit missing is the data conversion - which is always interesting
wink.gif

As a closing point - Im in the UK so commercially this is outside my geography - so I wish you good luck
smile.gif
!!!

Cheers

Peter

Hi Bruce,

looks like our posts crossed in the "cloud"
smile.gif

Looking at these extra bits pretty much nails it for me - same environment, different company.

This should allow you to
1) Consolidate groups accounts over the legal entities
2) Share AB records (employee, customer and vendor)
3) Do multiplant planning - if needed
4) Better commercial visibility on customers and vendors

The key problem will be the data load - the rest is fairly easy.

Issues that you will face are:
1) same customer different number
2) same vendor different number
3) Other.....

To get 1/2 take a look at parent/child on your customer/vendor records - but unfortunately there will be lots more when you start to look at your data mapping
frown.gif

Look at the z-tables for transaction loads...

Sorry !

Cheers

Peter

ok,
Created new"company" in existing env. and blanked data form Prddata in new company now need to creat new BU/BP how do i correctly do that ?

thanks
B
laugh.gif

Hi Bruce,
basic list is
1) Create company - P0010
2) Create BU's - P0006
3) Create chart of accounts ( from standard...)
4) Create AAI's
5) Create Branches
6) Create items
7) Create DM AAI's

plenty of detailed stuff in the manuals on each of these areas - or alternitively get the business involved from the respective areas e.g. Finance, Distn etc

CHeers

Peter

Hi,

Just as a follow up:
1) Check all versions for company/BU use
2) Check all AAI's for company BU use
3) Check processes for new company
4) Check chart of accounts for new company (its unlikely that they have the same CoA)
5) Check customers/vendors and how attributes are used
6) Check out who needs what security (JDE security is fun
frown.gif
)

Also blanking data only really happens when you create a new environment ( I read you other post). I hope you have done the library copy in this statement - otherwise you have just killed production!
smile.gif

Looking at your comments, its becoming obvious that you dont have much JDE experience and I have to tell you that it is a complex system - you will not be able to get your system setup without help from people who are experienced in this technology. Knowing the AS400 doesnt count.

A lot of people think that JDE (World or E1) is a technology project. Technology forms part of the project, but the vast majority is on the consulting (Understanding the business) front, so that the system can support the processes that your company opperates.

Add to that, knowledge of how finance, warehouses and manufacturing opperate and it quickly becomes very complex very quickly.

I dont know what your time frames are but I would get help to do this. Without knowing how complex this might turn out to be I would use a guideline budget (for all three suites - finance, distribution and manufacturing) of 90-120 mandays.
This would cover:
1) project management
2) Process mapping
3) Data mapping and conversion
4) Version setup
5) Security setup
6) Testing
7) User acceptance testing
8) Go live support

Cheers

Peter

Back