ER Compare between 9.0 and 8.10

Harry Chen

Can someone share some thoughts on ER compare for 9.0?

Description: We hope to have the function working to do Event Rule compare between 9.0 objects and 8.10 objects to ease our migration to 9.0.

But we have an error of 'Unhandled win32 exeption occurred in VSMerge.exe [2876]'.

I copied e810\...\pd810\...\spec folder to my fat client 100WKSXP4 at D:\PD810 Spec\spec.

How to do it:
Run OMW and pick an object like R42800, R554901MTQ, click Design, go to Design Tools tab, choose 'ER compare', click 'Select Object Location' and choose 'Remote Specifications', enter the folder D:\PD810 Spec\spec in the prompt box, click 'Open' and 'OK to compare.

Thanks, --Harry

If it was me, I would simply print out the ER code to a .txt file for both 8.10 and 9.00 and then use Beyond Compare to do the comparison. In fact that is usually what I use here in Xe to do my comparisons when doing ESU retro-fits, etc. I have found in some cases it actually works better than the Xe version of ER Compare.

Hi Harry & Brian,

I do not know Beyond Compare'sfeatures, whether can you exlude char positions from the comparey, namly the first 4 digits with the ER Line Numbers.

If it is not available in the mention tool or the actual compare tool, then useful to turn OFF Show Line Numbers option on the Event Rule Printing Panel - otherwise, if same ER blocks exist on the both sides, but with different ER Line Number (e.g. some code or comment were inserted or deleted on one side), then this will cause FAKE differences in the comparision result.

Brian wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
In fact that is usually what I use here in Xe to do my comparisons when doing ESU retro-fits, etc. I have found in some cases it actually works better than the Xe version of ER Compare.

[/ QUOTE ]

XE does not allow ER Compare with different object name - it is available only later releases. So if you made your mods on a copy of vanila object, and applied an ESU on the vanila, then you can not compare the vanila to the copied one.
BUT
Chris Bruce from Colorado developed a Tool to make it available on XE too, and published it on the Dowload board of JDEList on 04.15.2005

Brian (and other Listers), I do not know, who knows this tool already, here is a link for your convenience to acces this post and download this tool:

Visual ER Bridge (VERB)

Regards,

Zoltán

I find it MUCH easier to export the ER to a file (be sure to un-check the line number option) for the objects you want to compare, and use a tool like 'CompareIT'. This tools works beautifully and is easy to use.

The downside is that it is only a text comparison tool (the file you created is just a text file) and you cannot use it to copy ER from one object to another.

But, for a quick and dirty utility, it is so much faster than ER Compare.

Hi,

Just a bit clarification:
[ QUOTE ]
Chris Bruce from Colorado developed a Tool to make it available on XE too, and published it on the Dowload board of JDEList on 04.15.2005

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, the Tool make possible to compare the copied object to the vanila object with the vanila Visual ER Compare tool and use all of its features, e.g. moving variables, ER lines, etc.

Regards,

Zoltán

Thanks for your replies. Yes, using a text tool like 'CompareIt' would be useful. But I still hope to get the standard ER compare function in JDE working, which allows me to directly move/copy event rules to the target object.
Anyway I opened a Service Request to Oracle for this error.
Also I am attaching a image of the error.

Attachments

• 143150-ER Compare 8.10 and 9.0.jpg
    143150-ER Compare 8.10 and 9.0.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 99
ER Compare works now! The reason of the issue was many files were missing in target folder when extracting from the compressed file using 'Compressed (zipped) Folder' tool of Windows.
Please be careful with that compressing tool.

Back