Terms of license of the Oracle JD Edwards Enterprise One Libraries

reivilo78

reivilo78

Well Known Member
Hi,
I was wondering what were the terms of the license of the proprietary libraries that you can find for instance on the standalone installations.
Is using them and linking them to third party programs allowed with no restrictions whatsoever ?
Is it allowed to release Open Source software using those libraries ?
Is it allowed to commercially distribute a third party program using those libraries. Under what terms ?
I suspect that for example the popular Everest Software programs use those libraries and i noticed that they have on their website the "Oracle Partner" stamp.
Is it some legal obligation or just an agreement with Oracle ?

Thanks,

While I don't know this for sure, I would imagine that as long as you do not distribute any JDE libraries with any software you develop, you are ok.

The end user of any custom software will be a JDE customer who has already paid for any and all of the libraries you refer to and will have them at their site.

Just making calls into their api should not be bound by any legal restrictions. Can you imagine if Micro$oft charged a fee to make calls to the windows api... there would be no non-MS windows software.

Maybe Alex P will chime in here, but I doubt he has to pay Oracle to make calls to their API. Of course, he may say so to discourage other developers
wink.gif
Remember, a free market is bad for the software industry
laugh.gif

Hey JMR,
yeah, you're right, i didn't think of the Win32 API example
smile.gif

I dont blame Alex P for selling his software, since I can imagine the amount of time he had to invest to produce those.

I was wondering if it would be possible to make an Eclipse plugin to support connection to JD Edwards and editing of JD Edwards programs with syntax coloration, various Refactor possibilities (renaming variables, changing versions without messing the whole code) (Eclipse is a famous IDE for developing Java, C++ and other various languages). This would be awesome but also very difficult and time consuming.

Back