E1 Security Software

jdeexp

Has anybody used a security software like the ones from QSoftware / ALLOut software? Appreciate if you could share your experiences and any pros / cons?

Thanks
E1 - 8.12
Oracle / AIX

Shankar,

I haven't used either one, but we have been looking at them very carefully. IMHO - if a company is just starting up and needs to define security from scratch, I would strongly recommend purchasing one or the other solution. Defining security from scratch is very difficult, and these two vendors provide a good leg up on the process. For companies with security already defined, the "sell" is more difficult. Not impossible, but less justified.

The biggest difference between the two solutions is where the security tables live. With All Out, the security stays in the standard tables, they just provide better tools and reporting. With QSoft, the security moves into custom tables. It's harder to start using qsoft, and then drop it. With AllOut, you can use it for a time, and then stop, and your security still works.

Both are good solutions, it's worthwhile to see demos of both and decide for yourself.

Gregg

[ QUOTE ]
With QSoft, the security moves into custom tables. It's harder to start using qsoft, and then drop it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gregg, I'm not sure what you mean by having it be harder to stop using QSoft once you've started with it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. If you decided not to use QSoft any more you can simply go back to using the standard P00950 application to do security with. Yes, with QSoft the security you are in process of building is written to a custom table but it is still written to the F00950 when you are ready to push it out.

I've used QSoft for a while now and I wouldn't want to do JDE security any other way now that I've used it. It has a fair amount of packaged reports that we use quite frequently and comes with a basic Segregation of Duties tool that is helpful if you are needing to in depth SOX audits. They also have a separate and more detailed SOD tool available that integrates with the standard E1 Config product.

I haven't used All Out ever so I wouldn't be able to fairly compare the two but I have no complaints with QSoft.

CNCJunior,

I haven't studied it in depth, and perhaps the analyst that was running our eval between Qsoft and AllOut got the information wrong, but that was her main grip about Qsoft (besides the pricetag differential, which is considerable). I know the Qsoft guys monitor this forum, so perhaps they can clarify the point.

I liked both solutions, and would be happy to use either if our management team opted to spend the money. My primary point is, using a third party solution would be VERY beneficial to a new implimentation. Building an "all doors shut" implimentation from the ground up is very time consuming and monotinous work.

Gregg

I agree with Greg. I have used both products and have positives to say about both. As noted, AllOut's premier benefit is with the Discovery piece that allows you to sift through the Solution Explorer menu and identify all embedded UBEs and row exits and set a baseline for security up. Helps tremendously with the initial setup of security.

Hello Gregg,

Thank you very much for your valuable input. Initially I would have hesitated, but the initial setup that the products offer may definitely be valuable in terms of time and especially their ability to find & lock all possible related exits. My only thing is how valuable it might be once everything is all set. But they do boast good reporting tools which might be a plus.

Thanks
Shankar
8.12 8.97.2.3
Oracle/AIX

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I knew I could count on you guys.

Thanks again.
Shankar
8.12 8.97.2.3
Oracle/AIX

We went with a third party solution after the E1 security was "touched" by too many hands. Management chose AOS.
AOS came with a pretty straight forward implementation plan, the consultant they have sent helped me with the first module. He provided other very helpful tips. One to be mentioned is the "disabling" of PD tasks for a new user, while keeping the full operational roles structure to be tested in PY.
I was able to retrofit three other modules in no time; now we have the business analysts using it on a daily basis, and never heard having an issue with it (after more than a year and three projects deployed for five other plants).

Gregg,

From my understanding of the Q Software solution it has a number of good points:

+ it stores all its security in its own security tables until you have checked you have everything set up as you want it. You then build the F00950 table. This means you have less chance of screwing up your security file, as you test it first. It also means that if you later want to stop using Q Software, you can, as the security is all written to the security table. DOn't know why you would want to stop using it though, it still saves loads of time on your on-going maintenance.

+ You can test your security assignments against a segregation of duties model (I think they have more than one type - you will need to check with Q Software for the lates on this). Again, you check your security against your SOD policy before you write to the F0950 security table, which reduces your risk of geting it wrong.

+ I believe the Q Software solution has dozens of audit reports to check that security has been set up correctly and even to check things like who changed the security. AUditors love that.

+ I think I am right in saying that QS can pick up the Solution Explorer task views to build security and can also identify back-door exits from programs to ensure all the correct programs are included in your security table.

+ I'm sure I saw something recently from QS that indicated they have some pretty good pricing deals at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Qsoft still uses the standard E1 security table. It adds some custom tables in front of the F00950 for the setup and maintenance of components or functions. It does a very good job of creating role based security and allowing you to copy or create security on the fly with very little effort. I initially used Qsoft in an 8.0 environment and it cut the time to add security for additional sites by 80%+.

Back