The updated bible

gregglarkin

gregglarkin

Legendary Poster
I saw that McGraw Hill has published a new version of JDEdwards OneWorld, the Complete Reference. It has jumped from version 7.32 (with brief mentions of XE) up to 8.12. Has anyone ordered it yet? I'm curious to hear your opinion before I plunk down my $50 bucks.

Only $50 US bucks? It jumps to $107 CAD cross the border
frown.gif

Just found it on the Amazon.ca for only $68 CAD; now we're talking
grin.gif

Yup - I found it (updated my post to the correct link). I just ordered a copy - we'll have to see if its any better then their first one...

How relevent is the new "Complete Reference" to 8.11? Are there new versions of the "Developers Guide" and/or the "OMW Guide"? That is if there has been changes enough to warrant a revision. If so, how relevent are they to 8.11?

Reading the TOC (and, understanding I haven't received my copy yet - I just ordered it today) - I would say that it is very relevant for 8.11 - since 8.11 and 8.12 technical foundations are so similar.

I would say that the current developers guide (which is the best out of all of the existing guides if you ask me) - is still somewhat relevant, though it is still written based around B7332. It does need to be updated, especially with the web forms - but it is a great start for those people wanting to understand how to develop with OneWorld of any version - I know many developers keep that guide close by - just in case !

I'm glad to see time spent on republishing these guides. That is positive news for all customers - hopefully even more guides will come out revolving around implementation and development.

Jon,

Thanks for your reply. I will have a look at getting the updated reference guide. I agree that the three manuals (Reference, Developers and OMW guides) are excellent. I keep them on my desk - not in the cupboard.

The OMW guide (for Xe) has the best explanation of the OMW configuration I have seen. The Developers guide (for Xe) is also an excellent publication. Because they are so valuable, I was asking if these two (Developers guide and OMW guide) have been updated for 8.12 as well as the Reference guide. If they are not yet available (could someone let me know if they are please), has anyone heard/read if they are on their way?

I ordered and received. Have not looked at all, but it is an upgrade in quality to the old book...

I am glad to see the Jacot brothers are still keeping busy with OW. I just hope the text somewhat reflects their sense of humor. If you know them personally you know what I am talking about.

I was wondering when someone might mention this!

I ordered, received, and have begun reading. I have already picked up some new things (like, I never knew there was a UBE to create a new pathcode directory structure on the deployment server - I've always done it manually!) but then I saw some references to Object Librarian that totally threw me, considering there is so much focus on 8.12 and I thought OL went out the window when OMW came along.

I'm not even through the first 100 pages, but so far there seems to be quite a bit of information for someone like me (the old learn-through-doing-what-needs-to-be-done-right-now model) that fills in the gaps I might have missed.

I am very interested to hear what some of our more "seasoned"(?) colleagues have to say in review.

Matt

[ QUOTE ]
I am very interested to hear what some of our more "seasoned"(?) colleagues have to say in review.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey!!! I resemble that remark! I have mine on order.

I recently took the 8.12 sys admin class. In my humble opinion, roughly 10 to 15% of the admin tasks (taught in that class) have changed or been updated. I took some pretty extensive notes on the net change and will be writing up a white paper on the net change for "an esteemed purveyor of all things jde" for their January issue. I'm sure it won't be as widely read as the next issue of GQ with Jennifer Aniston on the cover, but it will have an audience......

Gregg,

Truer words were never spoken. However, if you are over 6 feet tall, lean,
and athletically built, perhaps we can do something with that for our
readers of the female persuasion.

Andy

_____

Behalf Of gregglarkin
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 9:23 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: The updated bible

Quote:
_____

I am very interested to hear what some of our more "seasoned"(?) colleagues
have to say in review.

_____

Hey!!! I resemble that remark! I have mine on order.

I recently took the 8.12 sys admin class. In my humble opinion, roughly 10
to 15% of the admin tasks (taught in that class) have changed or been
updated. I took some pretty extensive notes on the net change and will be
writing up a white paper on the net change for "an esteemed purveyor of all
things jde" for their January issue. I'm sure it won't be as widely read as
the next issue of GQ with Jennifer Aniston on the cover, but it will have an
audience......

Production: XE, Update 6, SP23V, Win 2K3, SQL 2K, Websphere 5, XPI 4.7,
Citrix 3.0, Full Fusion Middleware Suite Development: 8.12, Update 2, 8.98,
OAS 10.1.3.3, SQL 2005

_____

The entire
JDELIST thread is available for viewing.

Looking for a job? Check out the Job

This is the JDELIST EnterpriseOne Mailing List.
JDELIST is not affiliated with JDEdwardsR.

To unsubscribe from this list via email, Click <mailto:
[email protected]?Subject=Unsubscribe&Body=Sirs,

Please remove
this address from the JDELIST EnterpriseOne Mailing List.

Thank You.>
here.

Re: RE: The updated bible

[ QUOTE ]
Gregg,
Truer words were never spoken. However, if you are over 6 feet tall, lean,and athletically built, perhaps we can do something with that for our readers of the female persuasion

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch! really left myself wide open on that one, huh?
grin.gif

Santa came early and brought me a copy of "the bible." gotta say, it's not bad. A little smaller than the last version, this one is around 900 pages vs 1100 pages. Seventeen chapters and two appendixes. Appendix one is about implimentations, appendix two discusses the pros and cons of managed services. This book is written for 8.12 implimentations, with some notes on previous releases. All in all, two thumbs up.

Gregg

Hi Gregg,
Did you ever write this? If possible, would you please let me know where I could find it?
Thanks!
Jennifer

Jennifer,

Are you refering to the article about the net change from XE to 8.12? It was scheduled to publish in the July edition of the "esteemed Journal of JDE tips and tidbits". The editor wanted me to keep going on the article and make it longer, so it will be postponed until the November/December issue. I would have argued with the editor but that would have been a losing battle, seeing as how I'm married to her....
grin.gif

Back