WebSphere on iSeries

SHeroux

SHeroux

Hello,
How many of you are using WebSphere on your iSeries?
I have two Win2003 servers with WebSphere and it performs very well. However for our DR project we are entertaining running JAS on the iSeries so that initiall all we would have to do is to perform a restore from tape of the i550 for our financials.
Any pros & Cons for running it on the iSeries?
I look forward to your replies!

I have 15 live/ready to go-live 812 clients with 8 running iSeries. Of these, 6 are running iSeries on Web as follows:

1. WAS ND NO cluster 6.0.2.19 with 8.96 in an All-In-One
2. WAS ND NO cluster 6.0.2.19 with 8.97 in an All-In-One (811 SP1)
3. WAS ND NO cluster 6.1.0.9 with 8.97 in an All-In-One
4. WAS ND NO cluster 6.1.0.9 with 8.97 with WAS in a separate LPAR
5. WAS ND cluster 6.1.0.9 with 8.97 with WAS in a separate LPAR
6. WAS ND cluster 6.1.0.9 with 8.97 in an All-In-One (not live)

Two of the above configurations were originally running WAS on Intel and then decided to move it to AS/400. One client actually got a bigger box because the original box was 1/3 less than the MTR's for 812 but didn't have time to change out the machine before go-live.

The other client simply added some more memory to the box (4 GB) to accommodate WAS on the AS/400.

In ALL of these cases WAS on AS/400 was choosen for the DR purposes and for simplicity.

For 2 of the clients above, WAS was running on Intel but they decided to install it on AS400 only for DR purposes but during testing they discovered that the performance was the same between AS400 & Intel so they just left it there and reused the Intel boxes.

Colin

It runs just fine...but of course it's a pig on resources on the iSeries. In my experience, it's usually a matter of how many instances an organization needs to run, and how much money they have to spend to get a iSeries big enough to run WAS in the intended configuration. Many organizations have boxes that were purchased prior to needing to use a HTML client, and the box might be just fine to continue running the middleware and DB, and they find that the cost to upgrade the iSeries would get them plenty of machines on another platform. Obviously running WAS on the iSeries means the app and DB are on the backplane, but if the iSeries isn't sized correctly, you might get better performance with external WAS/HTML servers.

Back