iSeries or Linux

[ QUOTE ]
... after viewing E1, it's much more powerful (IMO) then the other systems out there, much more advanced and real web browsable menu's...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. EnterpriseOne (OneWorld) has always been technically the most advanced ERP system out there. Any of us that have been working with the product for a long time understands and supports that fact, hence the reason why so many of us "stick" within the industry for so long.

Good luck with your implementation. If you need anything, don't hesitate to email or phone - and don't forget to use JDEList to "bounce" questions like this !

Just an update,

The composition of this server will look like this:

IBM Power520 model M25
iSeries Stack running Domino Notes.
Oracle Stack running on Linux (prod)
Oracle Stack running on Linux (test/dev)
(HD's in the Oracle zone will be on RAID 10 striped).

I think the above provides me with the best of both worlds - IBM hardware reliability.
- Internal Domino Notes strength with this service now on a DB2 stack that it was developed on.
- JDE environments on Oracle thus allowing my business to take advantage of Oracle's ongoing development/acquisitions.
- Linux platform that allows saleability.
- Business has the power choice as it can either use IBM Websphere/Portal or Oracle's Portal.

Now, my lovely salesmen is trying so hard to put this all on an iSeries or blue stack but after trolling through the forum and finding out that a product like XML publisher came across in the Red Stack but one would need to purchase this as an extra - it's a no-brainer.

I hate to sound negative, but I for one would disagree: this would artificially combine two otherwise totally incompatible platforms into a single system, plus require multiple incompatible and hard-to-come-by skillsets, which you probably do not have in-house now and will have to acquire.

The likely three different people you will end up hiring will have problems even talking to each other ;-)

AS/400 enjoys this reputation only because it originally was as a mainframe - the OS was very lean. Bloated with the TCP/IP, Notes and all of the usual client/server things, it's really no different from any other OS out there in terms of its reliability. In fact, it will require many more fixes to make it work with JDE, and will probably have a few extra AS/400-specific bugs, as everyone here knows all too well.

Generally, from my experience, combining such different platforms, instead of "bringing the best of two worlds together" will likely "multiply the worst of two worlds" instead...

Jay,

You are heading in the right direction, but I have to agree with Alex. That's a lot to put on one box. You would be better served to spread this around to a couple of different boxes. If you want less servers, take a look at using vm-ware for the virtualization.

Jcenteno,

I have experience with Linux on the Power5, 5+ and now the 6 boxes. It is smoking fast. Ideally, though, if you are buying an M25 box, you'd put all components on i/os. This is due to the fact that you are buying an iSeries version of the Power6 box. And keep in mind with i 6.1 you still get everything 'integrated' and BRMS is an excellent tool for backing up Domino servers while on-line. Also, DB2 on the 400 is nearly completely self-sustaining, unlike Oracle and SQL Server.
Regardless of the 'converged' Power Systems, there still are differences. If you really like IBM and the Power chips (these new Power6 chips are unbelievably fast BTW), you should either get an M25 running i 6.1 in two partitions; PD812 and Domino in one, and DV/PY812 in the other. Or else buy the AIX version of the M25 because you get 4 cores instead of 2 for about the same price. You can LPAR that one as well, although AIX is only slightly more than the 'supported' flavors of Linux. Your IBM sales rep can clarify pricing differences, but even with the convergence of i and p, the AIX flavors give you more bang for the buck. I also recommend further reading at http://www.itjungle.com

-Ethan

At this stage, l'm getting a bit of stage fright
blush.gif

I will admit that iSeries is bloody reliable but with the solution that l had posted, l agree, l would rather have a separation into physical servers.
But the pricing is not even close for to the ballpark that l had in mind for a 50user environment.
To put into perspective:
M25 - 1xiSeries and 2 Linux Parts - AU$155k hardware and AU$41k software = AU$196k
M25 - 2 x iSeries Partition - AU$85k hardware and AU$42k = AU$127k
I might sound like a tightarse but a costing of 4 x HP servers running Linux would cost AU$60k.
Now both prices don't include support or OS implementation but l'm really torn between staying with Oracle vs Db2 only from the view point of Oracle support and benefits that my company may receive as Oracle further develop their range of products.

The joys of it...
wink.gif

jcentno

Sounds like a no brainer - $196k vs $60k? Put another way, $3920 per user verses $1200 per user.

When I took the Oracle Application Server classes (which I know you are not talking about in your post), the classes were taught on Linux. Oracle has a strong bias toward Linux. They have an even stronger bias toward the Oracle database verses DB2 or SQL. On a long term basis, I would hedge my bet on Linux and Oracle database. As Oracle moves toward Fusion, I would expect that things like Websphere, DB2, and MS SQL will start getting crowded out. It's not going to happen overnight, but if you are looking long term, that's where Oracle is driving the bus.

Gregg "gazing into my crystal ball today" Larkin

[ QUOTE ]
On a long term basis, I would hedge my bet on Linux and Oracle database.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Gregg!!!

Did more research and l'm leaning towards the same thoughts!!!
Well l guess l've made my mind up!!

Thanks all

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On a long term basis, I would hedge my bet on Linux and Oracle database.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Gregg!!!

Did more research and l'm leaning towards the same thoughts!!!
Well l guess l've made my mind up!!

Thanks all

[/ QUOTE ]

Jcenteno - here's the ironic part. The company I work for doesn't use linux and barely uses Oracle databases. Our E1 platform is MS SQL on Windows. Good luck with your implimentation.

G' day!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jcenteno - here's the ironic part. The company I work for doesn't use linux and barely uses Oracle databases. Our E1 platform is MS SQL on Windows. Good luck with your implimentation.G' day!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what l'll leave as a legacy for the next IT Manager
laugh.gif

I guess if everyone had their time again in setting up an E1 environment, majority would do it differently - the joys of IT.

Jay

Back