Label Printing From E1 to Zebra Printer

pabilao

Hello to all,
I must print barcode label from a thin E1 Client to a Zebra printer. Is it possible? How?

Thanks in advance

Hi.

We use Zebra printers also.

But we print by sending the pdf with the label to the printer like any windows printer.

We compose the label (barcodes included) in the RDA or in Formscape

And how is configured the printer in JDE? Can you send me some screenshots? And what model is your zebra printer?
Thanx in advance and sorry about my english.

I must print with models S4m and S600. Any tip?
confused.gif

I developed labels produced in JDE and printed on a Zebra printer.

To do so I used two software applications: Bartender and Create!Forms. I think that you could use Formscape or even JDE itself instead of Create!Forms. If you have Create!Forms, they have some decent documentation on how to make the process work.

The trick to printing to a Zebra printer is that you are sending the printer the Zebra control language in whatever application you are using. This is where Bartender comes in. You design your label in Bartender, then you print the label to a Zebra printer but in Windows you set the port to go to file. This produces a text file with all the Zebra codes to produce the label. You take those codes and put them into your printing application.

With Create!Forms I basically pasted in the codes and then mapped the variables from the PDF coming from JDE into the appropriate places with in the zebra code.

By the way you only need the professional version of bartender (about $200) not the enterprise version (about $2000) that Create!Forms recommends.

Let me know if you need any more specific information.

Steven

Hi,

I've been asked to see if it was possible to print some labels on zebra printers (LP 2844) directly from OneWorld.
I'm currently working on it, and from my tests, it's possible to do so without any third party software.

For that, you can create a report in RDA of JDE to generate a csv file containing the ZPL code (ZPL is the langage of Zebra printers), and then use the print immediate of OW. To do so, you have to choose a General Text driver for the Zebra Printer, and not the specific Zebra drivers, so it's your file (containing the ZPL code) which is sent to the printer, and it's the printer that interpret the code to print the label.

First, you have to design your label using some specific software (like Zebra Label designer - wich is a freeware -, or Impulsoft) and then create the related ZPL file.
This file is composed of lines like that :
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
^XA^MCY^XZ
^XA
^CFD,24^LH0,0^PW850
^PRD
^CI7^MNY^MD2^PON^PMN
^XZ
^XA
^A0N,28,28^FO25,15^CI7^FDVALUE1^FS
^XZ
</pre><hr />

Notice the line with "VALUE1", it's a line to print "VALUE1", with the right font, at the location you choose.
Of course, you'll have to identify where will be your variable data in a line. (but it's very easy).

So in RDA, in a report (with "csv" print option), in the header section for instance, you create all the lines you have in your ZPL file. To build the line, you can use constant (if there's no specific data coming for OW), or use Report variables you'll build to create the appropriate string (using concat to put the static part and the data from OW).

On your Enterprise Server, you'll install the zebra printer (with the "Generic / Text Only"), and in JDE, you'll add the printer, just like a standard PCL printer (with whatever paper format).

Then, running your report, choose the zebra printer, select the print immediate option, and you'll get your label.
Of course, you can have Barcodes on your label (the barcode will be describe in your zpl file, just like any other item).

So far in my test, it seems to work fine. i didn't notice any problem for the moment.

Hope this help.

Hi all!

One alternative way of printing to label printers is to use Business functions to write to a network share. In stead of a windows network shared folder, the path points to the shared printer in stead.
So basically you putput strings to \\server\labelprinter

This works nicely from interactive applications when you want to have the label instantly...

/Aarto

We rely extensively on Loftware Print Server for label printing on Zebra printers (e.g., thousands of labels/day). Not a cheap solution, but it scales well.

You can also purchase the professional version of Bartender software - it's not very expensive. Create your label in Bartender and then print it to a file. This gives you all the codes that you need to put into JDE to print the label. We use Create!Forms with it as well because you can just paste the codes into the form and map the variables.

At least with Bartender you don't have to learn to write Zebra language.

Steven

Re: Label Printing From E1 to CreateForm thru Bartender using graphics

I am able to use BarTender and print to a file. I can also take that file over to CreateForm, map the variables and get a label to print.

My problem is when I add graphics to the BarTender file. (Like my logo.) Printing to the file then adds a ton of code that Create!Form doesn't seem to be able to understand. I assume that BarTender is trying to draw my logo but can't figure out how to get CreateForm to understand that. Any ideas?

EnterpriseOne 8.12/Tools 8.97/Oracle Database

Back