Periodic Maintenance - OMW Logging Purge

• Thread starter brother_of_karamazov
  • Start date

brother_of_karamazov

Legendary Poster
Maintenance Item - OMW Logging Purge

Description - Depending on the setup, Object Management Workbench can generate a large amount of log records in the F98210 (Log Header) and F98211 (Log Detail) over time. The default OMW logging configuration specifies full logging.

While a reasonably well-designed database system should be able to handle a large number of records, purging the OMW log tables is certainly something worth doing on a periodic basis to maintain performance of the Object Management Logging applications (P98210). The Object Management Log Purge UBE will winnow the number of records.

Method - R98210B

Frequency - Monthly

Notes- To determine the number of records in the F98210 and the F98211 one can execute the following sql script:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>select count (*) from sy812.f98210
GO
Select count (*) from sy812.f98211
GO </pre><hr />

Modify the script for your E1 version/RDBMS.

Once you have determined the number of records, hide the results from your boss so that they have no idea how badly you have been slacking for the past five years. Then find the R98210B, copy the UBE and set the processing options.

Set to remove log records older than x number of days, where x is a number negotiated between the IT department, the development group, and possibly the internal/external auditors. Please note that the retention of OMW logs may be governed by law, company policy or a UN special task force.

I would run the R98210B in Proof mode first before running it in Final mode.

Run the above script again to verify the deletion of records.

Run Method - Scheduler if possible, otherwise from a web client or on a fat client.

Disclaimer - As with all postings please ask questions on the forum and do not contact me personally unless:

1) you are my buddy and want to buy me a beer, 2) you wish to tell me "Happy Birthday" or 3) you wish to engage my services during December and your company is in Miami.

ummmm

Why would you do this ?

OMW Logging shows an audit trail of every object in the system. Purging the logs might clear some space to some degree (not much) - but realistically you'd better be confident that you know EXACTLY what has happened to your objects back when you had that weird developer who didn't really know what he was doing on staff for a month or so.

I recommend KEEPING your OMW logs - all the way through to the next upgrade. At the point you upgrade, then you start from scratch again.

Believe me, the times that OMW logging has saved a customers rear end from a really bad day is far more times than you can imagine. You want to know if an ESU has been applied ? Successfully ? The only way is to look at the OMW logs (unless you really enjoy reverse engineering SAR's !).

What about truly knowing what objects have been modified by your development team ? If you're really clever, you have a helpticket system linked into OMW that can backtrack to when a user made the first complaint ! Now thats a TRUE audit trail !

Lastly, knowing exactly what has occurred on your enterprise system is a SOX requirement for public companies. There is no statute of limitations to your auditors requiring information on how an object ended up in production. I really have a peverse satisfaction making copies of the OMW Logs and handing them to the SOX auditors in CSV format...

So, while this is a good reference for customers to know about (and its not a knock against Jeffs' post at all, far from it) - I SERIOUSLY do not recommend removing your OMW logs.

Back