Boomerang slows down somewhat after exporting large projects...

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
Hi Alex

I'm exporting some large projects (lots of versions and UBE's in projects) - and I noticed that Boomerang slows down a lot after exporting a lot of items. Sometimes Boomerang will stop at around 69% - so I kill the session and restart it, and it will QUICKLY move to 69% (takes about 10 - 15 minutes) and then slows down for the remainder of the project (about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how large the project is)

Are there some temporary files left over that maybe it's struggling through ?

This progress bar progresses at different speeds, depending on the size of objects it's working with: it copies objects sequentially and the first lot it moves are DD items that are tiny, taking under a second each, hence fast progress at the beginning. And it typically finishes the job with larger objects, which may take much longer, i.e.: P4210 may take about 2 min alone.

So this perceived slowing down is not really an issue. It still works at full speed.

The client and the server performance would certainly have effect on the overall speed too...

Are there temporary files that Boomerang writes to on the local client hard disk before it writes the BG1 file ? I find that sometimes, with really large projects, it takes a long time to get to - say - 60% - and if I then restart the export, it only takes a couple of minutes to get back to 60% and then it slows down for the rest of the project. Or maybe the client is JITI'ing the project locally ? Just wondering what the best practice is, whether to "Get" objects first then export them or just let Boomerang do its thing !

Yes, there would be a number of different files involved, of course. But these would all be re-created at re-run, so this would not explain why it's faster on the second try.

What you are describing is more likely related to DB caching: the second time you run the same task, most data will be in the RDBMS cache, hence making it go faster.

Or this can certainly be JDE JITI as well, if any of the objects and their dependencies may be missing in the local specs. But I think DB caching is a somewhat more likely explanation...

Boomerang exports off the local specs, so you need to make sure your local specs are at the correct level, one way or another. Doing Get may be just the thing, but it can also overwrite your local specs with unwanted specs, depending on the situation. I.e.: if your local specs are expected to be identical to the master copies, then you can always do a Get first and this would cache everything it may need, so the subsequent export with Boomerang will likely be faster, but the overall time (Get & Export) will probably be longer than just the Export...

Back