One stack, two stack, Red Stack, Blue Stack...please help a user out

• Thread starter Robert Robinson
  • Start date
[ QUOTE ]
Reads like a convergence, but still separate products, and interesting that OC4J features will be integrated with WebLogic. Not exactly a rip and replace of OC4J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, ha. You're joking, right?

If by "rip and replace" you mean Oracle rips down the door to your data center and replace your servers over night. Then, that is correct.

Charles,

Here is my take on the main points in their Middleware Roadmap:

It looks like OAS and Weblogic will converge. The Weblogic Application Server will be the base product. The key features of OAS will be seamlessly merged into BEA Weblogic Server. We will see that change in OAS 11G (which will take at least 6 to 12 months to come out).

From the SOA perspective, it looks like BPEL, BAM and Data Integration stay the same.

The Oracle Enterprise Service Bus is converging with BEA Aqualogic.

Portal products look to be converting over to BEA

Enterprise Manager is being extended to BEA products

It looks like the SOA repository will be changing over to BEA AquaLogic Enterprise Repository

The support timeline for Fusion 10gR2 and 10gR3 will be extended a year to allow Oracle to integrate the BEA products into 11gR1

BEA Tuxedo is now part of the suite to provide for integration to mainframes.

They are promising "no changes to Fusion Middleware adoption strategy." The strategic BEA products will be introduced gradually.

They will be having a number of one day conferences on the merger: http://www.oracle.com/events/welcomebea/index.html and of course at OpenWorld.

Gregg

My opinion/guess/foretelling is that by ERP 9.0, only one JAS Server will be supported. It will have an Oracle badge on it.

Jon,

I would agree with that. I haven't gotten very far into Server Manager, but that component is built on an OAS core. Of course the interesting thing is that OAS is merging into the BEA weblogic engine. We will see that convergence in the 11i (11g?) release. Most (if not all) of the SOA suite relies on an Oracle database and an Oracle application server. There are a few components (the stuff that was recently acquired) that can use Websphere, but I think it's a safe bet that in the long haul WAS support will be phased out. Oracle certainly has no financial reason to encourage customers to purchase the blue stack, and it just costs them money to support it. This could all change if the bOracle decides to buy IBM, but that's not likely. Has anyone noticed that OAS is now an option for XE customers? They added support for it in SP 23V. I might set that up for fun and compare it to the performance of WAS 6.

Gregg

Not to hijack (again) a (many-hijacked) thread, but for those using Server Manager (since it seems like a few are tuned in here), how's it working for you? Does it deliver on (some of) the promise of more control over web sessions?

Not really. 90% of this functionality was available without server manager in 8.9x JAS.

There are a few things I like:

1. Centrally managed jas.ini variables.
2. Security for Server Manager users (JAS console users).
3. Better log filtering.

Things that are (still) missing from a console that i would like:
1. A single screen for all JAS user sessions.
2. A clear representation of the java stack for a user session.
3. Clear links/ties between HTTP sessions and java app server sessions.

Is it true that there is control over user web sessions (ability to terminate, where you could only knock out Virtual Client sessions before)?

[ QUOTE ]

Things that are (still) missing from a console that i would like:
1. A single screen for all JAS user sessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is possible. When viewing the user sessions for a particular JAS instance there is a dropdown box allowing you to choose another JAS instance to view. There is also an option 'All' that allows you to view the sessions for every JAS server you are authorized to view.

You may also accomplish a similar mechanism in the "Search for User Resources" screen off the main page.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but you could do this pre-Server Manager.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could not terminate user sessions, only their OWVirtual sessions prior to server manager.

Also new is the ability to prevent new logins to a JAS server(s) without disrupting the currently active users.

I stand corrected. I must have missed this. That is a nice enhancement to the previous versions of JAS SMC / SAW.

So, all in all, I guess I would say that its seems like SM has like 25% new stuff and 75% similar enhanced stuff.

Jon,

I will disagree with you on that point of ERP 9.0 only supporting one JAS. I have a giant client who is a 'beta' for 9.0 because of GCAST and they are blue stack...

Back