Inventory Cycle Counts and Dates

ssolberg

VIP Member
First let me say we have a "simple" inventory and so pretty simple physical cycle counts on the inventory. I was recently asked "how can I find out what I HAVEN'T counted this year". So of course I went hunting for a date of some sort. I know that when cycle counts are done, they write a PI entry in F4111 (even when it is a zero variance) but that isn't much help since I'm looking for things that I DON'T have.

So then I found the Next Cycle Count Date and it got interested in how that was getting filled and it also didn't seem to be consistent. In reading the manual, it does talk about "how" this date is calc'd, just that it can be done via the Proc. Opt. in Cycle Count Update and it is based on the Cycle Count Category Code (we don't use ABC codes). It appears for the most part, they are using a variety of codes but how does it figure out what the next date is to be based on the code? Is it using the numeric value in the second description line to calc a future date? For example, I see a part with A10 on it and the second line says "365". Does that mean it will take the date of the cycle count update (for that part) and calc a date 365 days in the future for the Next Cycle Count Date? That's cool if that's how it works...

In looking at about 2/3 of the parts, that appears to be roughly correct. But... I am finding some parts that have, for example, a Next date of 5/12/06 so I was assuming this part had not been counted "this year" but I look in the Cardex, and sure enough, it was counted on 5/12/06? Any ideas why some of my parts might NOT have a correctly calc'd next date?

Any other ideas on how to find out parts that have NOT been counted?

If i remember correctly. I am not at a JDE site now. The cyle date is in F41021. If the date is 0 no cycle has been done. I think i wrote a little program to put a date in the ones that were 0 so they would start comeing up for counting.

Hi,

I'd run an SQL statement to find the info. You'll have to determine what items are supposed to get counted first, probably want to exclude some because they're phantom items, etc. Then something like this...

Select * from F4101 WHERE IMITM NOT IN
(SELECT ILITM from F4111 where ILDCT = 'PI' and ILDGJ > 106300) AND ...(here's where you'd put other conditions for selecting records from the Item Master).

Hope this helps.

Sannan,

You are correct about the next count date. It is updated on that item location record based on the Cycle count Category (or ABC code) for that item in that branch plant using the value in the second description. As you said, if the value is 365, it will update the item location record with a date 365 days out. Also as you mentioned, it will update the next count date on that location if you count zero.

I am not sure why that one item didn't get updated, but here are a couple thoughts. First, maybe that item was not assigned that cycle count code last May. Second, that code may not have had 365 days on it last year. Third, if the item was transferred from the location where it was counted to a different location, the transfer process does not populate the next count date with the current date that is on the from location record. Fourth, when the update was done, was it done with a version that was set to update and update based on Cycle Count Code.

You are correct in that you should be able to select items not counted by looking at the next count date and selecting those items where the date is less than a certain date. This becomes a challenge when the inventory is transferred and thus loses the date, but if you don't normally do that, the date should work for you. You may want to filter the report to not look at phantom items or items or locations that you don't count to limit the size. You may also want to review that all items have a cycle count category code that has a value in the second description. Also, since the update is controlled based on the processing option, ensure that all versions that the users have access to, are setup to update teh next count date and that it is based on the cycle count category. This would include checking the exits on the cycle count review screen to make sure the versions are correct.

If i remember correctly. I am not at a JDE site now. The cyle date is in F41021. If the date is 0 no cycle has been done. I think i wrote a little program to put a date in the ones that were 0 so they would start comeing up for counting.
Hi Fred, We have a similar issue with work order completions, IAs, Inventory receipts all not stamping a "Next count date". Just wondering how you approached the date stamping - you said you wrote a program to do it?

How do I cancel an approved cycle count and restore the inventory before entered it

I have been able to cancel a cycle count up to the point of Updating it. From Work with Cycle Count Review, Find the cycle count you wish to cancel, Select the count, and from the Row exit choose Cancel Cycl Count. No adjustments will be made.

Back