Unable to connect to Oracle ORA-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off client connection

gionata

gionata

Unable to connect to Oracle ORA-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off client connection

HI all.
I have a problem with the listener.
The system runs for some days, but sometimes the listener(oracle listener ) gets the following error:

Unable to connect to Oracle ORA-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off client connection.

When that happen i have to restart the cluster an then evrything runs fine for days.

The oracle version is 10g(is the only one that runs ) .
We tryed to enlarge number of pool connection but the error still happen.

i don't know???

Please let me know.
Thanks a lot i hope you'll understand my english.
confused.gif

E812,
database: Oracle Database 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0
Fat client : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002
Enterprise server: Microstof windows Server 2003 r2 standard edition service pack 1
Application server: Microstof windows Server 2003 r2 standard edition service pack 1

Re: Unable to connect to Oracle ORA-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off client connection

Is your database on the Enterprise server?

Re: Unable to connect to Oracle ORA-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off client connection

I am extremely curious about this one. Has it ever worked? Is this a JDE with Oracle 10G RAC DB configuration (multi-node cluster)?

We supposedly had Oracle's best 10G RAC guys and a JDE CNC guy working on this for 4 straight days. They could never get the cluster stuff to work.

Had same issue. Increased amount of memory available to oracle process (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e834e9c7-708c-43bf-b877-e14ae443ecbf.aspx)
increased sga also. Take a look at the oracle performance case on KG mentions setting sqlnet timeout.
next time you get the issue connect to sql(have to get someone to logoff first) and do select * from v$pgastat to see your process usage increase sga further if possible.

E812
Win 2003 r2 Database Oracle 10.2.0.1
Win 2003 r2 Enterprise
Win 2003 r2 Batch

hi.
Thanks a lot for reply.
Yes the database is on enterprise server.
The configuration is not RAC but is multi node.

We tryed to enlarge memory for pool connection but the error still happen.

It seems that there are stale "session" but we are not sure about that.

i really do'nt know...
please let me know if you gt any idea.
Thanks a lot

hi frederick.
Tahnks a lot for reply.
I will try to do what you suggest.
Bu to "expand" memory for oracle process is impossible(sytem administrator say that is impossible ).
The memory for oracle process is already set up at max 2 gb
(available ram is 3 gb).
When i look task manager Oracle process "lock" 1,2 gb.
i don't know.....

Gionata,

THIS IS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WE HAD. (clenching upper lip): I FEEL YOUR PAIN...

We had no problem with the Oracle 10G. And we had no problem with RAC clustering piece until we moved our JDE dbs over. We tried to switch JDE over to use the RAC cluster instead of a standalone 10G box (Win2K3 server standard with 4GB of memory running JDE 8.12 too). We started getting the ORA-12518 errors and JDE would lose connection anywhere from 15 minutes to 8 hours later. We always had to restart E1 services and JAS services.

The Oracle consultants kept saying to give more memory to Oracle SGA and PGA. The clustered box had Windows Enterprise 2K3 with 10 GB of memory. We added memory in 2 GB increments up to 8GB or memory.

They never could get the ORA-12518 error to go away. My manager asked our Oracle rep to give us just one other JDE customer's name that was running RAC. They never could find one or give us their name. Finally we gave up with RAC and JDE.

Everyone says what a great database Oracle is. What a joke JDE on RAC was...

Hi all.
list6654 thanks for reply.

at the moment we decied to schedule a restarting of "services"
(in the
night) .
So i think the problem is "solved"(workaround).
I f you have any idea please tell me.
thanks a lot.
In the slqnet.ora there are not setup...i don't konw if it's ok.
frown.gif

Sorry to butt in on the conversation, but I have a client on Oracle 10.1.0.5, and are having terrible problems with the database running out of memory, and dropping the database instance entirely.

If you don't mind sharing, what are your Oracle memory parameters set to? Specifically things like SGA buffer size, PGA, etc.

Hi.
I hope that the folowing information will help you.
The initorcl.ora information:

db_block_size=8192

control_files=("G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\orcl\control01.ctl", "G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\orcl\control02.ctl", "G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\orcl\control03.ctl")

db_recovery_file_dest_size=2147483648
db_recovery_file_dest=G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\flash_recovery_area

log_archive_dest_1='LOCATION=G:\Backup\ARC\LOC1 MANDATORY REOPEN=300'
log_archive_dest_2='LOCATION=G:\Backup\ARC\LOC2 MANDATORY REOPEN=300'
log_archive_format='ARC%S_%R.%T'

open_cursors=300
processes=600

background_dump_dest=G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\orcl\bdump
core_dump_dest=G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\orcl\cdump
user_dump_dest=G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\orcl\udump
audit_file_dest=G:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\orcl\adump

db_domain=d_ktirm1.corp
db_name=orcl

job_queue_processes=10

undo_management=AUTO
undo_tablespace=UNDOTBS1

dispatchers="(PROTOCOL=TCP) (SERVICE=orclXDB)"
local_listener="(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=??????)(PORT=1521))"

remote_login_passwordfile=EXCLUSIVE

compatible=10.2.0.2.0

db_block_checksum=TRUE
db_cache_advice=ON
db_file_multiblock_read_count=8
pga_aggregate_target=600M
parallel_execution_message_size=4096
session_cached_cursors=100

# "disable"
# use_indirect_data_buffers=TRUE
# db_block_buffers=166000
# shared_pool_size=550M
# shared_pool_reserved_size=55M

#
sga_target=1200M
shared_pool_size=0
large_pool_size=0
java_pool_size=0
db_cache_size=0
streams_pool_size=0

HI Cdmerson.
Why you ask me if the databse is on the enterprise server?
do you have any udea about that?
please let meknow.
i'm really soory abitu my eenglish i hope you'll undrstand .
Thanks in advanced.

Most likely, what he means is that it is possible to have the JDENET kernel processes running on a separate server from your database. Thus, he makes the distinction of the database server, running only Oracle, and the enterprise server, where the JDENET stuff and UBEs run.

Thank you for the information. This will be very helpful to compare our installation against.

Back