JD Edwards XML & Web Services Integration

Mo Sid

Hello,

We are in the process of developing a third party application that gets data in XML format from JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 8.1. Can somebody shed some light on how this can be accomplished? Does JD Edwards provide XML interface or Web Services interface for EnterpriseOne 8.1? If so where can we find documentation on this topic. Help will be highly appreciated. Thanks!!!

If you are talking about 8.12, TR 8.96, you can use XML Publisher (XMLp) to generate XML from any report that generates data. XMLp is added to JDE as an ESU and works quite well. We are currently developing modules for the Pa yroll system using XMLp.

There is also the Web Services Gateway (WSG ). There are many guides on htt p://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/jdedent.html, under the Tools 8 .96 guides. The WSG will expose , as a webservice endpoint, any BF that you have created in the JDE toolset. It is a pretty good tool and uses the JDE security to maintain access.

Hope that helps.

Peter Douglas
Voice: 208.542.8253
Email: [email protected]
[cid:[email protected]]
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On B ehalf Of Mo Sid
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 2:33 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: JD Edwards XML & Web Services Integration

Hello,

We are in the process of developing a third party application that gets dat a in XML format from JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 8.1. Can somebody shed some l ight on how this can be accomplished? Does JD Edwards provide XML interface or Web Services interface for EnterpriseOne 8.1? If so where can we find d ocumentation on this topic. Help will be highly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Re: RE: JD Edwards XML & Web Services Integration

Thanks for the information.

Also, is anybody aware of any methods of communicating with JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 8.1 to extract/update data without using JD Edwards EnterpriseOne tools? Please let me know. Thanks!!!

We are also looking for the same. Can you extend your help to start with Web Services Gateway.

Rauf,

WSG (Web Services Gateway) has been deprecated by Oracle for a while now. Your current options (within E1) are Business Services and AIS (AIS requires tools release 9.1.5). Several third party options are also available.

Hello Mo Sid,
If you just need simple data extract from JDE I would recommend SQL Server Integration Services.
Simple, robust and very useful for numerous ETL tasks.

We even use it as our middle-ware platform.
In conjunction with bssv server(services) it proves to be very good.

Hi Hari,

Unfortunately, my thoughts cannot fly beyond E1 8.12, TR 8.96.40 :( I am imposed to do everything in this version.

As far as I aware, I have to use WSG to accomplish this task.

I see the word 'Integration' in your signature, I hope you can guide me to implement WSG.

Apps:
We usually update JDE Z file from outside application (.NET) and let users to verify the data within jde and post.

Reports
As for as reading data you have lot of option depending who are the audience. You can write report in NET, SSRS, powerpivot etc.

I also love to know more how other people utilizing tool outside JDE. e.g sharepoint

Hi Rauf,

As per Oracle, WSG and XPI support retired 6 years ago. See Doc ID 749083.1 for more information. So, you are on your own if you implement it. Your best bet (on implementing WSG) is to contact Oracle support for documentation. They will probably advise you to upgrade, so you can use the latest technologies.

I see the word 'Integration' in your signature, I hope you can guide me to implement WSG.

I specialize in .NET / web services integration with E1 using our own product. My knowledge of WSG is somewhat limited. May be someone else in this forum can assist you.

Hi Hari,

Unfortunately, my thoughts cannot fly beyond E1 8.12, TR 8.96.40 :( I am imposed to do everything in this version.

Why would you try and start an implementation and development process with a product that no longer exists and has been out of support for a number of years ?

You have BSSV as part of your tools release - why wouldn't you use that ? Or update the tools release at least ?

It sounds like you don't pay maintenance to oracle, hence you can't update your software. If thats the case, then JDEList isn't an "alternative" to your maintenance subscription with Oracle. You either keep up with maintenance, and gain access to the latest versions, or you drop maintenance and freeze your implementation - ie, no more development or modifications. You cannot do something "in between".

You've been given a number of different options. Don't integrate, integrate with a simpler method, or upgrade so you can gain the integration benefits of the latest software which was likely introduced after your company stopped paying for maintenance.

Hi Hari,

You also have XML CallObject. You should probably read the Interoperability Guide.

Brian - I think Rauf is looking for outbound web service call from E1 to a third party system (Rauf - correct me as needed). So, XML call object will not be of much use.

Jon Steel,

( Sorry to read something written on the basis of GUESSING :( :( )

There is an active support contract for my company.
But we are not updating our version because of heavy customization done for HR/ Payroll.

I hope, I need to look for updating only TR to 8.98.4, without touching application release.

Last edited:
Good ! It came across that you might have dropped support.

If you can update your tools release, I'd suggest updating to the most up-to-date version possible. A tools release will still need application suite testing, as it is the equivalent of an "operating system" for the ERP applications on top. However, there shouldn't need to be any retrofitting or development activity involved.

Go with the later tools release, and then start to investigate Business Services (BSSV) as your integration point.

If you were on a newer version of E1, I'd recommend using AIS - which only needs 1/10th the development effort that BSSV requires.

If you were on a newer version of E1, I'd recommend using AIS - which only needs 1/10th the development effort that BSSV requires.

Can AIS do outbound web service calls (i.e. consuming a web service from E1)?

If you were going to build a JDE app these days that requires external services you could look at using active components and effectively make a composite app that appears to the user as an E1 app. But that sort of digressing from the topic of this thread.

To go back to the OP. I would strongly suggest trying to get the business to upgrade to the 8.98 tools as this opens up a number of options that aren't available on 8.96. Plus 8.96 had a few ugly bugs when dealing with things like XML Interop.

Back