Oracle 10g, Windows, and JDE.

CNC Monkey 5000

Hi everyone,

This being my first post on the forum, I hope I'm doing everything right. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer their thoughts.

We are getting close to go-live on our JDE 8.12/8.96, running 10G R2 on all windows 03 (enterprise-32bit) our data, and app are on separate systems. Please let me know if you need further detail.

My question:
Is there anyone out there running 10g-R2 on windows currently for their JDE? We have a monster box specced for that data server and thus far, it's never had any trouble. Our consultants are raising a point regarding a 3gb "limit" because of windows/32bit, and telling us that with over 50 users we will probably have performance issues and database dismounts, despite having way over-specced our hardware for the projected 80 concurrent user total. Obviously, we're not a huge shop at all.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that I find it hard to believe Oracle would release 10gR2 if it had such glaring problems under such small loads in 32bit.

All this seems to be based on just one of their clients who is having problems. I bet the next thing they give us is a nice bill to help us "convert". I can't find anything similar on the net or otherwise to support their claims.

Does anybody have any thoughts? If it turns out this is a real problem, frankly, I'm more inclined to just migrate the data into a UNIX based OS rather than do a 64bit migration. But I really don't want to mess with what we've already set up over the past year just because the consultants are raising alarms that I can't verify anywhere else. Seems more likely to me that their other client just needs to do some better "tuning" or possibly some other problem could be causing their issues.

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can offer some insight, or their opinion.

Well, correction...

I did find a few docs on the 32bit limitations of 10g... According to those though, the client connection limitations shouldn't come into play on enterprise server until those connections are in the thousands... I'd still very much appreciate any thoughts, and I'd also be especially interested in anyone else's experience with 10g/32

As far as JDE we are still in the process so I won't be able to speak to th at directly. As to the 32-bit question, our servers don't have any problem taking up all 8 GB of ram when running, we haven't hit any ceiling.

You just need to make sure that you have your Physical Address Extension (P AE) set in your boot.ini and you should be set. Oracle does run JVMs undern eath that may need to be tweaked but only if there is a compelling reason t o even start looking there, they should be fine in 99% of the cases.

Hope that helps somehow...

Peter Douglas
Voice: 208.542.8253
Email: [email protected]

[cid:[email protected]]

Re: RE: Oracle 10g, Windows, and JDE.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as JDE we are still in the process so I won't be able to speak to th at directly. As to the 32-bit question, our servers don't have any problem taking up all 8 GB of ram when running, we haven't hit any ceiling.<br><br>You just need to make sure that you have your Physical Address Extension (P AE) set in your boot.ini and you should be set. Oracle does run JVMs undern eath that may need to be tweaked but only if there is a compelling reason t o even start looking there, they should be fine in 99% of the cases.<br><br>Hope that helps somehow...<br><br>Peter Douglas<br>Voice: 208.542.8253<br>Email: [email protected]<br><br>[cid:[email protected]]<br><br>

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much... I think you've confirmed what I was thinking... PAE is the answer to this potential problem for us. I think we'd be up a creek if I didn't use "enterprise server", since I don't believe PAE is supported in standard. Let alone the amount of memory we need anyway.

Hi Monkey Boy,

I think your consultants are being a little bit pessimistic/paranoid.
We're running Oracle 9i under Win 2003 E.E. (32 bit) with more users than your eventual max with no problem. The issue is not specific to 10gR2, in fact this issue (address space under Windows 32) is the same regardless whether Oracle or SQL Server or . . .

Our CONCURRENT user load varies between 80 - 100 users. We have seen higher. We use the /3G switch in the boot.ini file to give more memory (not PAE - PAE is a kludge in my opinion) to the application memory space.

I won't say that we have a "Monster" box - its a 3+ year old Dell server, 4 CPU, 6GB Ram, and multiple I-O controllers, drivers, Raid 1+0 with 15K RPM drives.

We have both the Oracle Database and JDE Enterprise server running on the same box. No other apps. We are an engineering / manufacturing company and use full Financials, Manufacturing, Inventory, Sales/Shipping modules. G/L Detail table is around 3 million rows. Item Master getting close to 200K.

Our performance has been great, and with the # users as small as we have (and you) the memory allocation works OK within the 32 bit limits.

I would agree with the other responses that your memory shouldn't be a problem.

This does not mean you won't have performance issues, though. The DB can be poorly tuned, you didn't say anything about your disks and they are the most likely cause of such issues, plus having the network in between the DB and JDE would cost you some extra performance in any case.

Bill: Welcome to the list. ;-)

The reality is that RAC just isn't what it was cracked up to be. The experienced Oracle DBAs and JDE consultants in JDE shops don't understand RAC clustering well enough to justify using it. They would be better off to go with Windows clustering instead. And, the marginal difference between SQLServer on Enterprise Windows vs. Oracle on Enterprise Windows is not significant. Why not just go with SQLServer (?).

The problem isn't Windows; its the inherent scalability limitations of weak clustering technologies.

Not sure who "Bill" is, but I really apreciate all the responses.

I'll give it a shot without PAE, and see how that goes. Like I said, we haven't gone live yet, so the extent of the 32 bit limitations effect on us remains to be seen.

Thanks again everyone, I'll be hanging out here quite a bit to offer any help I can in return! I gather that's how these things work!

I would agree with the consultants!
Actually we have a client with the similar situation as yours. And they are facing the memory issues with Oracle 10gR2 on 32-bit Windows 2003, even the /PAE and AWE and been turned on.
Luckily TR 8.96 has started to support Oracle 10.2.0.2 on Windows 2003 - x64(check the MTR for details).

Back