Create!Form 3.2 Upgrade

Devki

We just about to upgrade our very old version of Create!Form to version 3.2. How difficult is it to install and configure the software? I am just planning on getting some training on the design tool and have never done any install or config myself.
Any advice would help.
We are on AS400 520 iseries and OW xe with all Citrix Clients.

Thanks
devki

Devki, 3.2 is very different from the version of Create!form that is hosted on the AS400. Training is a good idea, the 3.2 version is very powerful and has alot of features that were not available in previous versions. You will now be able to use the plug-in as well. (Adobe plug-in that allows for merging of JDE PDF's on local workstations or Citrix Server).

Install is straight forward, is there something specific you need assistance with?

We recently upgraded to 3.2, and it went very smoothly. The biggest issue we had was getting our forms projects upgraded to work with 3.2. Since we were upgrading from version 1.2, our forms projects would not convert correctly, requiring extensive reworking. But we knew that was an issue since version 2.0 came out (which is why we were still on 1.2).

There are a couple of consultants lurking on the boards who may be able to provide some support, if you need it.

We upgraded from V1.2 to 3.2 about a year ago. We're also on an AS400 OW XE Citrix Servers. The projects did not migrate and all had to be redesigned. I did not take any training but the support at CF was wonderful. The tricky part for us all had to due with getting the plug-in to work on the citrix servers. It was a whole different set-up than it was with v1.2. I'd ask a lot of questions about that if you can.

Devki - I agree with the others... install and configuration in itself should not be a problem. Your biggest task will be getting your existing form projects to upgrade/migrate cleanly.

If you are looking at upgrading from Create!form v1.2 to v3.2 then my advice is to start a new form projects and rebuild what the old version did. In my experience, it takes just as much time if not more (and a lot more frustration) to let Create!form try to upgrade an older form project to the current version.

If you're going to using the plug-in to merge form projects in Acrobat Reader on Citrix, check with CFI for what version is supported. I don't believe they support the current version of Acrobat Reader but I could be wrong.

Karen.

Thanks for a good feedback.
We are planning on re-designing rather than migrating the old to the new.
Thanks
devki

For the Designer Workstation, do you need to install full Adobe (standard or professional)? I know the technical requiremnts do not call for full version but is it better to have a full Adobe Acrobat. I believe that ver 8 is not fully tested and certified yet however only ver 8 is available. which means we have to go with version 7.

thanks
devki

Devki -

Yes, you will need to have the full Adobe Acrobat software installed on the design workstation. When you save a form project Cform designer makes a call to Acrobat Distiller in order to compile components of the form project into PDF files. Off the top of my head I'm not sure how Adobe differentiates their Standard vs. Professional products.

I'm doing work now with Cform designer v3.2.10.6261 with Adobe Acrobat version 8 and haven't had any problems.

Karen.

Thanks Karen.
So is it possible to do parallel testing when you only have one Enterprise Server B7334sys lib and CF 1.2 piece is already on the AS400; I cannot installpiece of CF 3.2 on the same AS400 (Enterprise Server) in B7334sys lib in the test mode? Correct?
How are you designing and testing?
I appreciate you time.

thanks
devki

Parallel testing is possible, since the part that runs on the AS/400 is the same for all versions of Create!Form.

Hi Devki. You can parallel test with the older versions - they make use of the CPKRNL function, and while the new version does not need this (there is a specific print conversion string supplied with EnterpriseOne in the newer releases that was designed for Create!form) it can still work with it. Older versions use the "“-s POSTSCRIPT_PRINTER –l cpkrnl –f prt_CpPDFToPDF" conversion string, the new releases (of Create!form and E1) allow for use of the *JDE PDF string.

Back