8.12/8.96 package builds

msouterblight1

VIP Member
All,

Can someone please tell me why the new process creates a local database for the specs, and then copies those records to Central Objects?? Why wouldn't they just design the process to write directly to Central Objects???

Just wondering...

Thanks

It needs both, so I guess if it were doing it straight to the CO DB, then it would have to copy it the other way around afterwards anyway, so overall it would be about the same...

Ok.. But why does it need both? Couldn't they just have designed it so that 1 DB is read from everywhere??

Ha, if you read the ads, they would make you believe that that was exactly what they did ;-)

No, Developers need the local copy - there's still a need for LOCAL specs.

Re: RE: 8.12/8.96 package builds

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.. Can you please clarify?

Re: RE: 8.12/8.96 package builds

[ QUOTE ]
The installation guide says that you if you have an existing server install ed it will use that instead, is that not correct?<br><br>Peter Douglas<br>Voice: 208.542.8253<br>Email: [email protected]<br><br>[cid:[email protected]]<br><br>

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that spec files using proprietary .ddb and .xdb files needed to be done away with for several reasons, mnost of which we are all aware of. The local spec 'files' were replaced using MSDE as a storage method. Think of the local 'SQL' database as simply a storage method as it has very little to do with it being a real database.

If MSDE is installed, the E1 client installation will not install it. My experience has shown however that it may be best to uninstall MSDE prior to the fat client installation. YMMV.

As for why we store specs locally on a fat client, that question was debated and decided over a decade ago.

Is this what you were asking?

Alex is correct...xml specs...though development is still done on a client machine...therefore the need to have some sort of "local" copy. If you watch your builds, especially the updates...the update will take time, then the server is almost instantaneous...simply because the "build" is done for the client and then the records just copied over to CO's.

Back