Published application over Citrix

janicej

Well Known Member
Hey, list.

Does anyone know of a way to publish a single interactive application as a published app in Citrix? Maybe a parameter after the activconsole.exe?

I’ve got users at a remote site accessing EnterpriseOne over a WAN. They need one inventory inquiry program. Right now, I’m using role security to remove everything except the one program they need, but it would be so much cleaner to be able to publish that single application. Any ideas?

I had looked at this, but I have not implemented anything. I know you can create shortcuts to an application in EOne, so my thought was that I could create a shortcut and then publish the shortcut instead of the standard EOne executable.

I hope this helps... If you do implement it, please reply and let me know how it worked.

Thanks,
Matthew

you can still access somewhere else with a shortcut...
id say you got the best way with removing everything

I tried publishing the shortcut, but it wouldn't run...maybe because it's not an executable? I'm not terribly Citrix savvy. I know just enough to keep it up and running.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Janice,

In the past, I've had to tackle something like this. At the site I worked at, we were using Workflow which sent email shortcuts to users so they could launch applications - similar to what you're trying to do. Initially, the attachments would not work just as you've described. Eventually got this to work but it was't that straightforward! If I remember correctly, there is some local configuration involved on user PCs to get this working as well as Citrix tweaks.

The good news is that I know there was documentation on the 'Knowledge Garden' that covered this in detail. Whether or not it's still there is a different matter. I'll have a 'dig' when I get a chance - in the meantime, if you want to have a crack - try searching along the lines of 'citrix and shortcut'; 'citrix and workflow and email'.

It's been mentioned already but worth saying again - security still needs to be looked at. In particular, you'll need to look at the 'exits' from the application(s) you are giving users.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Sanjeev

you can publish either a batch program that has the following or directly publish :

"{path}oexplore.exe shortcut.jde" - that will start oneworld and open up the specific application. However, oexplore.exe will be running in the background - so the user will still be able to get to the application.

I asked for a modification back in 1999 that would "hide" oexplore.exe if launched in this way - using a command line option "/hide" - but I do not believe it got implemented. You could always try publishing a Rapidfire script that would launch oneworld and then go into the application, and if the app window closed then it would shut everything down tidily (www.rapidfireonline.com)

Thanks, everyone...good input. I'll give this stuff a try and get back to you.

Back