Global poll - what version of OneWorld are you running ?

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
ok - since the announcement of the following breakdown provided for by the Midwest group :

* XE......24%
* 8.0.....11%
* 8.9.....19%
* 8.10...19%
* 8.11...24%
* 8.12.....3%

its time we roasted this old chestnut once again and found out what everyone is really up to !

Please vote only once. I'm sure we'll be skewed somewhat because of only JDE List customers will see this, and because this is in the "Technical" poll. I also provided the estimated date that each version came out with (don't persecute me if its a little wrong !)

Wow

At the end of the first day - 1 vote for each version above Xe except 8.12?! Lets keep the votes going !

Jon,

Thanks for providing the poll. After reading the original post, I had thoughts about doing the same myself and then after wading through the post emails I'd received, I found you had already done so.

Here is a little extra information/comments.

Firstly, other possible sources of result skewing via double counting are in the case that some organisations have more than one employee that is a member JDEList. In addition there are a large number of consultants that are members of JDEList - for which I am most thankful. If they voted on behalf of their clients there is a possibility of double counting.

If I remember correctly, B7333 from SP16 onwards is Xe and B7333 prior to SP16 was B7333. Someone may like to confirm that.

No - B7333 was always Xe, it was "officially" released with SP13.1 and I actually know some companies that still run Xe with SP15.1. B7332 can use the same service pack sets as Xe.

Jon,

Thanks for the info.

Our first version of Oneworld was B7332 and while implementing it, every problem we came across we were told by JDE that it was fixed in B7333 (Xe was not mentioned). It got that way that we were thinking that B7333 was not just "the best thing since sliced bread" it was better - "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, faster than a speeding bullet ... " and produce world peace. But I digress, so we upgraded to B7333 (SP11 I think - still no mention of Xe). When we upgraded to SP16 (that's probably why I thought SP16 and not SP13.1 was the change), we were under the impression that we were upgrading to Xe - the victim of all the Xe marketing hype, I guess. I take it, that prior to the release of SP13.1, B7333 (all SPs) was "officially" known as B7333 and from the release of SP13.1 on B7333 (all Sps) was "officially" known as Xe.

B7333 wasn't available prior to Service Pack 13.1 unless it was to pre-release (beta) customers. There really wasn't much time between SP11 and SP13.1 by the way - so you were probably "sold" on the very early pre-release of B7333. The "Xe" flash screen appeared with SP13.1 - so it was very likely that the beta versions that were shipped out to customers like yourself didn't show "Xe" - and only when you then jumped all the way to SP16 did you finally see the Xe flash screen !

Every one of my customers I made sure was on SP15.1 before they went live with Xe (B7333) since there were lots of issues with the early service packs of that series - especially with Citrix and Terminal Services. Then the next "best" service pack was 18.1 - and then finally everything settled down when SP20 came along and they came out with the "one-offs".

So - how are you doing on 8.11 now ? I think I remember someone from your establishment coming to Quest "Focus" in 1998 or 1999 - I met them in Denver back then and introduced them to Massinghill ! Good to see you're still running OneWorld !

Jon,

It must be getting reasonably late for you, I was not expecting to read any reply until tomorrow.

I really appreciate the "behind the scenes" information. Looking back, with what you have said, now makes more sense. We were not on SP11 very long, it might have been 2 or 3 months.

We have been averaging at least one person to the Quest Global/Focus conference from 1999 to 2004, when I was asked to attend (now that was a surprise - and my one and only trip to the northern hemisphere so my wife and I made a world trip out of it). I don't think we have sent anyone since.

We are doing quite well on 8.11. It has only been about 4 months since we went live, and we are still tying up a few loose ends, but "steady as she goes". Our users who were using the fat client in Xe are complaining about the increase in response time now they are using the web, but that was always going to happen - just moving from a fat client to web will do that, before anything else. Our users who were using the web in Xe have not complained much at all.

Well - so far, the figures are intereting. Certainly showing some responses from the 8.9x users out there - but Xe is starting to pull away somewhat ! If you haven't voted - please vote !

My other favorite Al Capone quote is "You can get much further with a kind
word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." That seemed to be
PeopleSoft's mentality during their short tenure of owning JDE.

Maybe you should put a note on the World technical side letting them know there is an interesting poll over here. I imagine a lot of World customers considering converting would find the results very enlightening.

Done. I hope I didn't "spam" the forums too hard !

Anyway - at the end of the first day the results are interesting - showing an even split between Xe/ERP8.0 users and those using ERP 8.9 - certainly an eye-opener for me so far - I'd say that so far, theres weight in those Oracle figures !

But we're far from over yet. I'm going to perform a "final count" a week before Quest Global (around April 10th) - and I'll be "bumping" this post as much as I can (if Eric doesn't mind) to try and make sure that users don't miss it !

It'd be nice to get a sticky for a month, Eric !

Jon,

Maybe if iConsortium bought a nice banner ad for a few months, you could convice Eric to give you a sticky post?

Interesting that the unscientific poll here matched the midwest numbers fairly closely..... I guess my shop has company camped out in XE-ville....

I tell you, so far I'm kind of amazed ! The Midwest numbers are being supported pretty darn well. As time goes on, however, lets see what happens - since I'm sure anyone involved in a 8.x project is frequenting JDEList more than a stable Xe user would be these days.

Only one vote is accepted so I selected 8.10.
We also run Xe and ERP8.
Clark

I also submitted only one vote (8.11). However the other clients (5) I frequently visit (and who will probably not reply to the poll are currently on ERP8.0 Update 1 (2 clients), ERP8.0 but implementing 8.12, 8.10 and implementing 8.11

Feel free to include these numbers in the poll

Well, at the end of day 2 and the Xe and ERP8.0 customers are now starting to pull slightly ahead again. I'm still amazed at the number of 8.9x customers out there - but its still early days !

Glad to see some World customers are joining in !

I also support multiple customers who will not respond to this poll as they have no JDE expertise. The breakdown is as follows:-

B7332 - 1
Xe - 5
8.10 - 2
8.11 - 1
8.11_SP1 - 2

JDE World 7.3 cu 5...heavily modified...but we are going to A9.1!

Do I get extra credit?

Back