Global poll - what version of OneWorld are you running ?

We are OneWorld Xe Update 7 SP23_K1 and also coexistent with World A73 Cum 12.

devki

If you're co-existant OR if you're company has multiple copies of Oneworld running - then choose the highest version that is live. However, if you're in the midst of an upgrade - then count only the version that is live at the moment. That way, we should "even" out those versions.

Well - Xe users are forging ahead now, still need more customers to vote !

I think this is about the halfway point in the poll. Still obviously need a LOT more votes - however currently there are almost an equal number of Xe/ERP8.0 customers vs 8.9x customers (70 vs 73).

I'm still surprised the numbers are that high - but it is certainly in line to a degree with what the midwest numbers are so far. If you know an "occassional" JDEList user out there that might not have voted - get them to vote please !

Please provide the direction to get there. I found it after a search with
global poll. You might have more vote. I did mine. Thanks for reminding.

Global poll - what version of OneWorld are you running ?
#118218 - 03/17/07 08:12 AM

Thanks.

Robert St-Cyr (RSTC)
FilSpec Inc.
Responsable Syst=E8me Informatique
Person in charge Information processing system
Oneworld B7.3.3.3 (XE) sp19.1 J1 Update 6 / Oracle 8.1.7.4.1/windows 2000
SP2, Citrix W2K XP Metaframe 3.0
514-333-8990 ext: 24 Fax: 514-333-8091 Cellulaire/Cellular:
514-605-9694
Email : [email protected] , [email protected]

altquark <[email protected]>
Envoy=E9 par : [email protected]
2007-03-24 13:15
Veuillez r=E9pondre =E0
JD Edwards=AE EnterpriseOne <[email protected]>

A
[email protected]
cc

Objet
Re: Global poll - what version of OneWorld are you running ?

Well - Xe users are forging ahead now, still need more customers to vote !
Jon Steel Director, Partner Alliances The iConsortium Visit iConsortium
Visit personal website [email protected] 24/7 Assistance - (904) 382 5701

Hi Jon,

I also voted only once for XE, though we have 10+ XE partners and 3 on ERP 8.9.

Regards,

Zoltán

I find it quite curious that XE still leeds the pack. Just goes to prove that Oracle has not made a good case for upgrading.

Not at all - it makes perfect sense.

Heres my opinion - it ain't any official viewpoint, but its my 2cents worth.

Xe and ERP 8.0 are darn stable products these days for Financials, Distribution and Manufacturing. If you're like the 90% of customers and are only solely interested in that functionality, and you are on Xe - then why upgrade right now ? You're supported until 2013, you have your users sitting on a VERY stable platform and you've never experienced such low call-volumes with your users ! Its not a good idea to rock the boat ! Get some of that ROI back, after all you paid enough for the darn product in the first place !

Secondly - the new products are a little scary. You've invested heavily in your Citrix implementation, and all of a sudden theres all this conversation about Java Application Servers. You did your homework as a CIO, probably came across this site - and read about poor Performance issues and loss of user "enjoyment" with the client. You've already taken a hit with your users in the past, implementing Xe - you DON'T want to push them back down that road all over again, not when they're just getting used to using Xe.

So you're going to hold on as long as possible. You've got some big changes you'd rather spend the money on - such as that huge Active Directory migration, or perhaps you want to migrate all your unix boxes from HP to IBM (?!).

Now - many companies aren't necessarily like that. They might be looking to push for new functionality - perhaps they're interested in all that self-service code that the web product provides, or maybe they're just sick and tired of Xe's crappy purchasing modules and are looking for something that really works (!). Maybe they're looking for some magic interface functionality and they've been sold on the idea of Fusion Middleware. These companies are still growing, and the ERP hasn't found its little "niche" yet. When you're still rolling out, you might as well look to the future of the product as much as possible.

Xe has gone the same way as World - its a very stable, nicely running product that really nobody complains about anymore. There is always a certain resistance to change - and sometimes it makes financial sense for companies to resist for a short term.

Heres another interesting viewpoint. I have a little My Yahoo stock portfolio of companies I've been involved with professionally. Its a nice little list of a couple dozen companies. The companies that I know are on Xe and aren't really pushing hard for an 8.9x upgrade - their stock prices are rocketing. The companies I know that are in the midst of difficult upgrades ? Those stocks are down or static. It might not be a direct link - and I have to put the disclaimer that it is really just a very small % of Oneworld customers - but its a very interesting observation.

Maybe I should try and put this up as a new poll ?!

Anyway - don't flame me - I'm just giving a personal opinion ! I'm involved with 8.12 upgrades - and eventually, once the dust settles, those companies will be FAR better prepared in a few years than the Xe customers - but its just some interesting observations given the current economy !

Jon,

Have you been chatting with our CIO? Your first two paragraphs describe our situation very well.

And, by the way, our stock opened at $64 dollars/share, $1 off our 52 week high point. When I started here five years ago, the stock traded at $62 a share, it has since done a 2 for 1 split.....

Gregg

Since I did your Xe upgrade - its certainly one of the companies I have in my little list !

So far we've seen 169 responses - which is approximately 3% of JDE Customers - so theres a ton of variance.

However, what is strikingly clear is that Xe+ERP8.0 is 50% of the OneWorld users. The 8.9x camp is pretty strong with the remaining 50% - so its a pretty good tie between them.

If this was a presidential race, they'd be doing a recount about now and looking at the hanging chads !

ok - we've had 1,000 hits on this page, and its pretty much the end of the poll.

So what does the poll tell us ?

Well, in my opinion, I'm initially surprised at how many 8.9x customers are live - its a pleasant surprise, but that also indicates the technical challenges that many customers have had to face. However, it certainly isn't the "61%" that JDE Midwest announced - more likely that its around the 40% number at MOST.

Secondly, however, I think that it is plain that Oracle has smudged some of the numbers slightly - even though the poll only shows about a 5% of the end-users, its probably as accurate as Oracle's poll. There are lots of comments that support the fact that the majority of Oneworld users are still on Xe or ERP 8.0 - although there are signs of movement towards 8.9x in many camps. However, to claim that many of these customers are "live" on 8.9x is a little advanced yet.

This little thread should certainly be ammunition back at Oracle if they try to force you, the customer, down an upgrade. Remember, Xe (and ERP 8.0) is currently supported until at LEAST 2013 - whereas the latest versions only have support for 5 years beyond their release ! That means that 8.9 will probably be dropped from support far in advance of Xe - so be very careful about the reasons for your upgrade !

We also don't really know anything about Fusion. We've seen some backpedaling over the past year from Oracle with regards to the product - specifically with the statements that show that the existing product lines will be supported far longer than initially anticipated. We are also starting to get a sense that Fusion might not fit some JDE customers from a functional perspective - so be very careful about banking on vaporware !

Its good that customers join together and let their voice be heard. I'm looking forward to hearing what customers have to say at Collaborate - not necessarily what Oracle has to say ! Remember, this conference is the opportunity for YOU, the customer, to be heard - not necessarily for you to be lectured at !

See you all at Collaborate !

Jon,

I think one easy way for Oracle to fudge these numbers is by basing their claims on the number of USERS of a particular version, rather than the number of INSTALLATIONS. This poll asks how many installations of the various versions of JDE exist, but the number of users of those versions could produce wildly different results. For instance, if Praxair is on 8.11 (I don't really know, this is just an example) and my company is on Xe, then we have one using 8.11 and one using Xe. But if we count users, then we have 3000 using 8.11 and 240 using Xe. That's a huge difference, and I'd bet my last dollar (if I haven't already) that Oracle uses whatever count makes their numbers look best.

Don't hold me to that last dollar thing -- I was really planning to bet my last dollar in Vegas.

I thought about that as well to be honest Bill - but I already know that the majority of very LARGE customers are holding off implementing the latest version - the really big JDE customers would likely be the LAST to upgrade - and I'd probably hear if they were likely to make the transition !

When I am talking "very large" - I'm using the "above 1,000 concurrent user" implementations.

However, there ARE companies with "unlimited" licenses still - even though they have significantly less concurrent users. Since Oracle has massively changed their licensing (again) to become named user licensing for new licenses - this figure can really be corrupted and fudged around with.

There are some really nice numbers I'd love to have a real look at :

1. Number of customers on EnterpriseOne over time
2. Number of USER LICENSES sold on EnterpriseOne over time
3. Revenue of EnterpriseOne software sales over time
4. Revenue of EnterpriseOne services (at Oracle) over time
5. Revenue of EnterpriseOne Maintenance over time

Those are the big 5. Find out what those figures look like from 2000 on, and you'll fully understand what the future of OneWorld looks like.

Of course, its all a pipedream anyway cos Oracle is about as likely to release the above information as they are to release EnterpriseOne as opensource !

There is a lot of good discussion and comments on this thread, and I think it is healthy discussion. I'd like to put in a couple comments:

The numbers that Oracle provides on customers on a release are typically titled "Customers in Motion" and reflect customers on or going to (key phrase) the releases shown. The momentum is significant, and if I understand the poll numbers correct, it shows 59% on 8.9 and previous, 41% on 8.10 and later. The "going to" group, which is a significant force from all I've seen, could explain the difference (latest public are 51%, 49%).

Also, the Oracle support policy is clearly posted in writing - one place to access it is http://www.peoplesoft.com/corp/en/iou/upgrade/e1_upgrd_resources_evaluate.jsp - so if you have questions about which releases are supported in what timeframes, you don't need to speculate. Jon, your statement about 5 years of support is not correct - there is extended support available for our most current releases which moves it out beyond 5 years.

Lastly, Oracle has taken great pains to make clear that customers will not be forced to upgrade - is your comment, Jon, because you've seen that, or just in case?

Dan

Hi Bill

Praxair is on XE (for the most part). 3400 + users in North America. 4500 + users in South America. 300 + users in Europe. 300 + users in Asia.

One instance to support North America. One instance to support South America. One instance to support Europe. Two instances to support Asia (because of double byte languages). We have one tiny region still on World. We have several instances of Oracle Financials, one instance of Computers Unlimited, one instance of SAP R3. So how many customers does that make us?

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin

I'd say 5 instances = 5 customers. 7900 named users is about 3700 concurrent users. Over 5 instances, that is 740 users per instance, which is a good sized customer. Add the development structure you have into the mix, and its definately a larger customer.

When I was in charge of the scalability group at JDE, I used to have a favorite statistic. 1% of customers generates 20% of the revenue. I used to come out with that when asked by the company why I was pushing so hard with some of the benchmarks and scalability studies "only to satisfy a small number of large customers"....

[ QUOTE ]
7900 named users is about 3700 concurrent users. Over 5 instances, that is 740 users per instance, which is a good sized customer. Add the development structure you have into the mix, and its definately a larger customer.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the business and how they operate. We currently see only about 10-15% of the named users online during peak times as concurrent users.

Back