Disable multiple menus

slats

Hi all,

I am in need of help here! We are running 8.11 and I am looking at securing some menus on the HTML clients. We have a company with 4 sub divisions and on the main menu they all have a separate company menu. The problem I have is I do not want company 1 to see the menu from company 2,3 and 4. I have tried to do a recursive disable from P559000 but that does not seam to work. any ideas??

Attachments

• 116222-menu.JPG
    116222-menu.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 249
Slats,

Use the menu filtering button on an admin/development (fat) client. You can then select the role to change. Right mouse click on the parent menu node and select view by role and slect the role from the list. Then just turn each (sub)menu item on or off. Don't forget to save. You will then need to refresh the cache on the web server.

Hope this helps.

I know that I can do that but it is the main menu I want to hide so when they log in the user can only see there menu. Also with 50 roles and 4 menus it would take me forever!!

slats,

For task views, to which I believe you are referring by main menus, in the task view properties (accessed from menus design) there is a secured check box. This works in conjunction with the Solution Explorer Security in Security Workbench. If the task properties check box is ticked and the appropriate Solution Explorer Security radio button is selected (I can't remember which) for the appropriate role, then the task view is not seen by that role. The problem is that if the task view properties secured check box is ticked, it is all or nothing by role. A role gets access to all the views or it does not get access to any secured views. As such, I don't think this will do what you need.

You may need to redsign your view structure. Have one view to which all roles have access. The first level of tasks would be the different menus that each role would access. These can then be secured by role, so that each role has access to their menu and only there menu. As you are probably aware, you only need to prevent access to the top "branch parent".

As far as entering the security for this - yes it is tedious, but it is a one-off activity unless you are changing menus and roles periodically. There is no other method of entering this security in JDE of which I am aware. If you know what you are doing, and I do not recommend this, I believe it is possible to enter the data directly into the appropriate table(s).

I think re-ordering the menu structure is the way to go. That was a excelent suggestion
smile.gif
In the long run it will make it much easier for people to manage. This is my first time on menus and I wish I had never started!!

Slats,

I would agree with setting up a single taks view and then filtering it by role, using multiple tasks views is a pain from a visibility point of view because you end up with lots of them to manage, as previously stated you only need to prevent access at the top level using the fine cut tool.

With regard to the security issues, I came across a product called Discovery from a company called AllOut Security, it worked on the principle that the task view could be fine cut into roles, and then the discovery tool would then work out all of the programs, reports interconnects etc relating to a View\Role would be diplayed in a grid, the grid then enabled different actions to be applied for different applications. Once this is set the F00950 table is automatically populated. In practice this came out with an accuracy rate of 90-95% in almost no time at all.

There's another tool from the same people available which merges different task views if a user is a member of more than one role.

Might be worth a look...

Hope this helps

Paul

You can also use fincut and Save options to disable the some menus on the solutions explorer. After all disabling these applications and reports,users still can access this applications from the row exit. so you need to apply, application security also.

Hi,

Firstly, I have seen people apply row security to tasks (on the first level). This is a 'dirty' fix and may or may not work on your version - would need testing.

A better bet would be the menu reorg and applying finecut to the top level as suggested above. I have a tool which does this if you don't have the time to do it manually.

If your company doesn't want the menu to be reorganized then creating finecut for new roles would probably be neater than row security for existing users.

If you go to the trouble of creating new roles I would use finecut rather than attempt to use row security as even if it works for you I have seen versions of JDE where row security doesn't work on tasks.

Back