Create!Form & Media Text Attachments

TimPierce

Reputable Poster
We currently pass a PDF to Create!Form that contains the Text from a JDE Media Text Object.

If there are any control characters such as Tabs or Carriage Returns, Create!Form replaces them with a block of Question Marks which is then printed on the report.

Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks.

Hello Tim -

I take it from what you describe that you have other output (with text media objects) that merges with Create!form correctly and have narrowed it down to the control characters causing the problem with this particular text media object.

Are you merging off-line using a printer configured to merge/print or inter-actively with Acrobat Reader? What version of Create!form are you working with?

Hope I can help -

Karen Swaeby.

Hi Karen, thanks for your reply.

Yes, the situation is exactly as you describe. I am using version 3.2.11.6308.

The PDF looks fine, but when the document is sent to the printer the question marks appear. Interestingly when I look at the attachment through the web interface I can't see the erroneous characters, when I look using a fat client, I can.

Tim -

"The PDF looks fine, but when the document is sent to the printer the question marks appear."

It sounds like the Create!form PDFmerge is "hiding" the erroneous characters from view in Acrobat Reader but when you print they are still part of the job. One thing to try is taking Create!form out of the equation completely - if you "un-merge" the PDF in AcroReader and then print does the PDF and media text attachment print correctly?

"Interestingly when I look at the attachment through the web interface I can't see the erroneous characters, when I look using a fat client, I can."

In the case of the web interface vs. a fat client, are both configured the same? Sounds like the fat client does not have the Create!form PDFmerge installed (or it's not configured to merge automatically).

I'm thinking that the erroneous characters are part of the PDF text attachment and Create!form is just passing the attachment to the printer. What application/function is creating the text attachments? Is it possible that the program producing the media text attachment is the source of the erroneous characters?

If you'd like me to look at the files you're working with you can send them to the address associated with this account.

Karen.

Karen, thanks for your help on this.

In the end the problem wasn't C!F related. I used a JDE Business Function 'Scrub Illegal Characters' on the offending field and that seems to cure the problem.

Kind regards,

Tim.

Back