Radio buttons and check boxes

peterban

peterban

Reputable Poster
Hi Eric,
having spent the last day or two trawling through the old posts to try and nail some issues I have a suggestion!

What about putting checkboxes/radio buttons to flag the "technology" - initially on the user profile acting as a default - through to the post where they can be flagged or not.
e.g. World, EO 8.10, Tools 8.96 etc etc

This would have greatly speeded up my searching!!

Cheers and keep this great site going!

Peter

Hi Eric,

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure that I understand what you are asking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not alone
cool.gif

...but I supposed, that the problem is my English
blush.gif

Regards,

Zoltán

Peter, Eric, Zoltán,

I would like to endorse Peter's idea. Though I think that check boxes would be better as users/members would probably, in most cases, refer to a variety of technologies and posts/threads would also refer to a variety of technologies.

If I understand Peter's suggestion correctly, it is to provide a number of check boxes on the Users/Members profile to indicate the technoloy (eg. World, EO 8.10, Tools 8.96, etc) they use. This would partially overcome the problem of missing configuration information on posts (you're not alone there, Zoltán).

In addition to the check boxes on the Users/Members profile, the same check boxes indicating the technology to which the post/thread refers could be available when making a post. Personally, I think this would be better suited to the initial post of a thread, but if available to all posts, it could be used to trigger a new thread if different technology check boxes were marked to the ones in the rest of the thread. Which check boxes to mark for the initial post could default from the Users/Members profile.

The search facilities could then be enhanced to search for defined technology by means of the check boxes.

However the question remains - What about the vast existing knowledge base in JDEList? It would be a lot of work to update it. Or it could be set for threads started from a certain date forward.

Just my AUD 0.02 worth.

Hi Peter/Eric and Szia Zoltan
wink.gif
(your English is better than our Hungarian
laugh.gif
),

Yes that right Peter !

Initial list might include the thread types as a first pass e.g. World, EO (with versions as a seperate check box), Database plus other (Createform, Optio etc etc)

Consultants are a problem (lol) as they use lots of different platforms.

I dont think that any enhancements to the search facility would stop us searching the old post. Indeed in terms of the old data, some programs could be writen to check for the information required in the check boxes (NOT MANUALLY). This wouldnt capture all data but should get a large chunk of it ... but Im getting carried away
blush.gif

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter, Eric and Szervusz Peter
wink.gif

I already understand the idea and I like it.
...but please, let me be a bit cynical.
As far as I see, there is nothing only the nick name in the profile of 99% of the members, who registered in the last few years. Eric, can you confirm it?

Eric can make it required on the registration panel and/or on new posts, but I ask you, what is the guarantee, that poster will mark right check-box(es) and won't mess up all. I won't be wonder, if some (or many?) posters will mark all of the check-boxes.

As far as I follow JDEList, I see, many "members" easily find the exlamination mark icon, the Caps Lock on the keybord, the T, N, E, G, R and U letters and many time the poll panel too (why???)
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

...but DO NOT attach their release, not even when they were "prayed" for it by others dozen times.

OFF: By the way, I do not understand, why use some "members" totally meaningless the poll panel, when they can preview the post?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

ON:

Regards,

Zoltán

Back