New JDE World White Paper on Customer Connection

dhashimura

Well Known Member
I hope this is the correct forum.

First of all, a global support analyst emailed me the spreadsheet when I was unable to either open or download the World White Paper. Customer Care contends that the problem lies with my PC. Because one of our network guys also could neither open nor download the spreadsheet even from outside our firewall, could somebody please give me any ideas for the source of our failures?

Thanks!
Debbie

Hi Debbie

I've had the same problem with downloading spreadsheets. I'm not so sure it's a PC problem.

Nicholas,
Thank you! And, if you open a case with Customer Care, I'll be your friend forever. An Oracle global support consultant told me that no other customer reported a problem with the download. I wonder how many responses like ours it will take to convince them otherwise. Debbie

Oddly... today I went to check on something and I was unable to download a white paper and have no troubles before. Tell me if this is the same trouble either of you are having.

I find the solution I'm looking for, page all the way to the bottom and you see Oracle's response is an "Attachment". Normally I think you can click on the "Attachment" and it brings up the document in a new browser window. Or you can right click and save the attachment from the link. Today, I click on the Attachement word and a new window "blinks on and then closes" immediately. I thought it was a pop-up blocker issue or something so I turned off all blockers and it still occurs. I tried to Save As the attachment and I just get a cryptic error message that tells me nothing.

My symptoms are different. If I try to download the white paper doc, the transfer appears to begin but never completes. (I get a window where pages fly from the world on the left to a folder on the right.) If I simply try to open the doc, the process also appears to begin but again never completes.

What frustrates me is being able to do most of the searches & downloads but not being able to convince Oracle that the problem is on their end when I cannot. Twice, it's taken months before I've been told that "my" problem was due to soemthing THEY did.

I've had the same issue numerous times. I just simply open a call with the help desk and ask for the white paper to be emailed to me as an attachment. How they can claim that its not their system is beyond me. I have Adobe updated, and there are no problems with downloading .pdf files from other vendors.
Did they say WHAT the problem was on your system? Or did they just say it was your problem? My suggestion is that you open a call just on that issue...and see what they say.
I believe this dates back to when they combined the PeopleSoft and Oracle websites. It was at that time (last year) that I began to have this problem.
FWIW, the results I get are a blank screen, and the words "downloading..." on the bottom. Nothing ever arrives and the session eventually times out.
Good luck on finding a solution!

For what it is worth, I have had the same problem, Find the attachment, but it doesn't open. I figured it was just the one attachment I was going for (and I guess I don't really expect Customer Connection to work right).

I also ask the support line to email directly to me since I have never been
able to open it up on the website. I vaguely remember looking into this a
while ago and discovered that in actuality the standard adobe reader IS NOT
called, but rather an "ActiveX" version of adobe reader. Rather than trying
to tweak IE security to allow this I gave up and resorted to asking for it
directly.

Luckily Support has always been gracious with these requests.

S. E. Tuthill
A73 C11 V5R3

esolch,

When I opened the case because I couldn't save or download the World White Paper spreadsheet, I selected Customer Care but was first contacted by a Global Support analyst who eventually realized the case did belong with CC. I sent CC the same print screens I sent to GS originally. Here's his reply:

"I tried that link both inside and outside of the Firewall/network and it was able to load both times.
I can only assume its something on your PC, either in your IE settings, or MS office settings.
You would need to speak with your help desk for these issues as we can only support the website, not a workstation.
I can recommend to make sure your IE is current on updates and also uses all standard settings.

Regards,
Mark Harris
Support Analyst

Oracle Global Customer Care
1-800-477-5738 Option 2"

When I told Mark that our network guy (who said it wasn't our settings blocking the download) couldn't download the doc even from outside our firewall, Mark told me to check that I could open other xls files through IE. (I could.) "Something on your end is stopping it, it could anything from a IE setting, to something in Office."

When I said there were 5 other World customers encountering download problemss, he said,
"I do understand that some people have issues downloading from the website, but with many different systems or security options it will be an issue.
I have seen admins block customers from storing cache or even cookies.
We about 300,000 unique downloads a day from the Support area, where Customers are downloading solutions, word docs, or anything else.
If you would like me mail you any attachment that you need, please let me know."

Thank you ALL for your responses! When my next download fails, I will immediately ask for an email attachment.

Debbie

Debbie;

I just chalk it up to the complexity of the world we live in and call the support desk when I can't get what I want.
I figure until they come out with a white paper on how to identify this problem on your PC (which I can't download), I'll just continue to call the support desk.
Needless to say, my frustration level is pretty high on this particular issue.
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Ellen

Ellen wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
Debbie;
I just chalk it up to the complexity of the world we live in and call the support desk when I can't get what I want.
I figure until they come out with a white paper on how to identify this problem on your PC (which I can't download), I'll just continue to call the support desk.
Needless to say, my frustration level is pretty high on this particular issue.
laugh.gif
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ellen -

Maybe this is a specific strategy by Oracle to make your life a living hell until your company switches over to Oracle Applications...

I wouldn't put it past them!

Regards,

Steve;
I have a few descriptions for it - nothing that is printable here.
grin.gif

I do think that if they are going to tout themselves as world class - then they need to deal with the little irritating issues that when added up, cause the user community to say "HM, perhaps there are other vendors...."

Sannan,

I just experienced the same symptoms as you while trying to open the attachment for Solution ID 200784158. (I attached the error message that appeared when I tried to save the attachment.) Anyway, I know I said I would ask Oracle to send me any docs I cannot open, but I must share this with them. It was 1 of 4 World Year End 1099 Solution IDs, each with an attachment. I was able to open the other 3 attachments!

Also, about a week or 2 ago, a link appeared on the Customer Connection page for "JD Edwards World 2006 1099 Updates - Available December 2006." I had to ask Oracle for that page as a document since my web page would load only a few lines at the top. I tried clicking through Updates + Fixes >> E1 + World Update Center >> Year-End Update Information >> 2006 Year-End Updates System Requirements but again could only get to the first bullet point about JD Edwards World 1099s—Available December 2006. Have you tried looking at that information yet?

Debbie

Same thing happens to me! And it took a long time for it to even bring up the "partial" window that you get? I tried some of the other links on the main "updates" page and they seem fine. I tried the "bad" link you are talking about multiple times and had the same poor results each time. Give them a call!

Hi Ellen,

FYI--After an Oracle employee, who isn't part of Customer Care, "tried to access the various website pages and Customer Connection just hangs", I now have an open call about malfunctioning links on Customer Connection. I've been asked whether my problems began with PS or Oracle's web site. I think my problems also began when Oracle combined its site with PS'.

Debbie

Back