Converting from OneWorld to World (no joke!)

• Thread starter Robert Robinson
  • Start date
Robert Robinson

Robert Robinson

Reputable Poster
For reasons too numerous to discuss here, our management has mandated a devolution from OneWorld to World. I thought this was a bad dream, brought on by too many face plants onto my keyboard, but we are going to do this...
tongue.gif

Has anyone tried this? If so, how were the A/R and Payroll conversion (de-conversion?) issues addressed? Any White Papers on the topic (yeah, right)

Man, do I feel silly even asking this one...
crazy.gif

Hey, did you read my April Fool's issue or what? I knew I should have
copyrighted it!

New EnterpriseOne to World Program Initiated

For clients concerned about future migration paths, JD Edwards announced a
new EnterpriseOne to World Migration program. John Schaff, World Migration
manager, said "I've been waiting for this day! I feel totally vindicated
about staying with World Software. Ever since OneWorld came out I knew that
World's rock solid functionality and total lack of CNC requirements would
bring us to the top. As Ed always said, who in their right mind would want
to use a mouse for heads down data entry?"

Andy
Free copy here: http://www.JDEtips.com/4-1-2006.asp

Re: RE: Converting from OneWorld to World (no joke!)

Would that it were a joke...

I don't think even Mr. Schiff would believe it...

I had to check to see if this post had a April 1 date on it. I've heard of people who are coexistent, or trying to be, give up...but never a E1 to World outright conversion. At least the next time I think I'm having a bad day, I'll think of this post and count my blessings.

First the bad news...already probably know, there is NO method of getting A/R back to World that you will get from Oracle. They state it in black and white.

Now the really bad news...you would essentially need to create table conversions for every table in the system that can't be absolutely, positively identified as being in coexistent format, and since you're already at 810, that isn't going to be many.

Just thinking off the top of my head...I'd say the easiest method would be to worry about things like the AB, and other master tables, perhaps UDC's, and then do a point in time switch, where essentially all your history is kept on E1 (or in E1 tables to be reported on by something like Crystal).

Thinking, again, just off the cuff, if you want to bring over history, it's essentially just as if you decided to go to Oracle or SAP applications from a project standpoint.

By the way, when did they start allowing testing of LSD in the Plymouth, MI water supply?!?
wink.gif

Wow, how depressing ...
frown.gif

If you ever find the time please list the reasons why - I'm sure it would make a good story.

Good Luck Robert!

No comment...

Can you remember where you saw it in "black and white"...I just might need that document...

I'm thinking of changing my avatar to a chalk outline...

Solution ID 200782418, Converting PeopleSoft World Accounts Receivable (A/R) to EnterpriseOne A/R. But you could probably find the same text in the conversion manuals for HR, Distribution, Service Billing, etc., etc..

My mouth is still stuck open...

You don't even want the outline left...think Jimmy Hoffa...I'm sorry, shouldn't pile on the pain.

[ QUOTE ]
For reasons too numerous to discuss here, our management has mandated a devolution from OneWorld to World.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW !! That sounds like a very lengthy project !!

Shailesh

Contractor - Technical

Searching for my resume...

I'm curious what their reasoning is? Even if you go
to World support for it is going to expire along with
OneWorld so why bother? The path from World leads to
Fusion also.

confused.gif
Don't leave us hanging on this one - What are their reasons? Joy

confused.gif

It's like this...

German parent runs SAP
American kids run JDE 8.1, 7.3 and E810
German parent wants everyone on same system
Conversion of kiddies will take place in '07 (?)
Reporting issues of kiddies require them to be on same platform
As much pain as would be involved in a move back to World for the 1 company, it would be less than if all the kiddies were to meet on OneWorld (green screen kiddies have major mods, training, etc).
Welcome to my world.

Now that you outlined the reasons...if reporting is the issue, couldn't you possible spend the money/time with something like Crystal Reports that would be able to grab data from multiple systems to create consolodated reports? Or provide an interface from one or more into the one to be used for reporting?

Just brain stormin...or at least brain sprinkling.

Reporting is not the only issue; it includes the synergies of having everyone on one release, in one environment...

[ QUOTE ]
For reasons too numerous to discuss here, our management has mandated a devolution from OneWorld to World. I thought this was a bad dream, brought on by too many face plants onto my keyboard, but we are going to do this...
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude! that sucks! I thought I had it bad with a request to move from Solution Explorer back to OneWorld.... Good luck.

Back