Converting from OneWorld to World (no joke!)

Hi List, sorry for jumping in so late. Just taking off on Andy's response of World being better than OneWorld in some respects how does one respond to these suggestions? I recently was exposed to the functionality of World and found that they have a reporting tool called FASTR which can do drill down reporting. I am not aware of any tool in oneWorld that can do this. (if there is then would be obliged if someone can dispel my ignorance). Also OneWorld has FAR TOO MANY clicks and hence can only mean reduction in efficiency when users move from world to oneworld. I will soon be getting some world users to move to oneWorld hence making this business case is important to me. Would be grateful if anybody could give me justifications from the user point of view that i can give them with a clear conscience.

Best regards
Shrikanth

Simple question...complex answer.
OneWorld gives the user a view of green screen data through a GUI lens (for those moving from World). The OneWorld "grid" can be used to easily print data or download information from OW to Excel. Here is the first "hitch" point; to poll our users, those who enter information (AP, PO, etc.) do not like the system nearly as much as those who use it solely to retrieve data. The Enterprise Report Writer can be used to develop drill down reports, and can perform the duties of both FASTR and World Writers (including updating tables)...but here is a second "hitch" point. ERW is a very complex and powerful tool that is not for the untrained or faint of heart. Further, the IT support required to deploy a new report is much greater than in the green screen (where a version created is a version available to everyone (with access) instantly.

As we are a small shop (3 JDE folks supporting 200+ users), OneWorld has been a good educational process; however, were we to do it over again, we would likely have remained on World. OneWorld has hit us with technical support requirements that we do not have the bodies to deal with.

There is much more to the issue, but this has to be addressed on a company by company basis...

Re: RE: Converting from OneWorld to World (no joke!)

We use GL Inquiry for drill down reporting for financials. Its a pretty good product that intigrates directly with OneWorld.

www.theglcompany.com (Their website is a little annoying.)

AJ

On a scale of ridiculousness from 1-10, this task request is a 10. I've only dealt with maybe up to a soft 8 on the high side. But my reply is always about the same.

"Sure, I'll get right on it. And wow, it's been a while since I updated my resume. Weird. No idea why that came to mind."

[ QUOTE ]

"Sure, I'll get right on it. And wow, it's been a while since I updated my resume. Weird. No idea why that came to mind."

[/ QUOTE ]

Too funny.

Dude, would you like ould a job as a consultant? Seriously, you should just quit. As soon as you are done with all that shiznit, they will just lay you off anyways.

This is unusual, but I once knew a company that implemented One World on the CNC architecture and there were so many problems they had to reimplement One World on an AS/400. However, I've never heard of backward migration from One World to World. With SOA, World has become so obsolete, I don't think this is a wise long-term strategy. Of course, I don't know your company's circumstances.

Talk about bumping up an old thread...

Anyway, I came across this thread while doing some research. Robert, how did this all turn out anyway? I'm sure many on the list that forgot about this topic would love to hear the end result.

Are you on SAP? Was it a train wreck?

Hope things turned out well.

Back