Submitted Jobs Security - Deleting active jobs.

dschlieder

Well Known Member
Did a quick search and couldn't find this discussed anywhere.

Has anyone implemented row security on the submitted job search screen to prevent users from deleting jobs that have not completed, i.e. job status of S, W or P? And maybe prevented them from terminating active jobs?

We have a group of users who no matter how many times we tell them not to delete incomplete jobs, they do it anyway. They simply select all of their jobs and delete them all regardless of the status - for some reason they can't seem to stand having anything there.

Of course this can lead to corrupt data if a job is deleted or terminated in the middle of a process that updates records as it processes. Or they delete a waiting job and don't know they did and expect it to have completed.

In some cases we have told them that if they know what they are doing they can terminate an active job. Not sure that that is a good idea either.

However we want the power users, i.e. the IT staff that know what the ramifications are to be able to do these actions.

Since our security is not environment specific and we only have the one logic server for all environments, I'm gun shy about making changes without some thoughts on this issue from someone who has already gone down this path.

We have never put in any row security before so this is all new ground to us. And JOBSTS is not set up for row security in the DD.

Any insight into securing this application would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Schlieder

Have you considered completely removing their ability to delete their job records?

They really don't *have* to delete their jobs if you are using R9861101 to do the cleanup.

[ QUOTE ]
Did a quick search and couldn't find this discussed anywhere.

Has anyone implemented row security on the submitted job search screen to prevent users from deleting jobs that have not completed, i.e. job status of S, W or P? And maybe prevented them from terminating active jobs?

We have a group of users who no matter how many times we tell them not to delete incomplete jobs, they do it anyway. They simply select all of their jobs and delete them all regardless of the status - for some reason they can't seem to stand having anything there.

Of course this can lead to corrupt data if a job is deleted or terminated in the middle of a process that updates records as it processes. Or they delete a waiting job and don't know they did and expect it to have completed.

In some cases we have told them that if they know what they are doing they can terminate an active job. Not sure that that is a good idea either.

However we want the power users, i.e. the IT staff that know what the ramifications are to be able to do these actions.

Since our security is not environment specific and we only have the one logic server for all environments, I'm gun shy about making changes without some thoughts on this issue from someone who has already gone down this path.

We have never put in any row security before so this is all new ground to us. And JOBSTS is not set up for row security in the DD.

Any insight into securing this application would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Schlieder

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with BOK on this one...I usually recommend that users can not delete any jobs...and use the purge utilities to do them from an administrative mode.

We have found the combination of security to keep them from deleting jobs
while they are processing. They can delete them while the job is in Waiting
status, but not while the job is Processing. Note attached file.

Joy Fernandez, System Administrator

Pedernales Electric Cooperative, Inc.

P.O. Box 1

Johnson City, Texas 78636-0001

830-868-5035

Re: RE: Submitted Jobs Security - Deleting active jobs.

Hi Joy,
Couldn't find your attachment. Can you try uploading it again... sounds like a good doc

RE: RE: Submitted Jobs Security - Deleting active jobs.

User / System Role

Object Name

Version / From Value

Object Description

Security Type

Description

View

Add

Change

Delete

OK/ Select

Copy

Scroll to End

Run

Install

Product Code

TOMTOM

W986110BA

Submitted Job Search

Action Security

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

H95

TOMTOM

W986110BB

AS/400 Job Master Search

Action Security

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

H95

TOMTOM

W986110BC

Job Maintenance

Action Security

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

H95

TOMTOM

W986110BD

View Logs

Action Security

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

H95

TOMTOM

W986110BE

Job In Process

Action Security

Y

N

N

N

Y

N

Y

H95

TOMTOM

P986110B

Job Control Master

Application Security

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

H95

P.O. Box 1

830-868-5035

RE: RE: Submitted Jobs Security - Deleting active jobs.

SORRY.....

W986110BA 1-Action Security View-Y, Add-Y, Change-Y, Delete-Y, OK/Select-Y,
Copy-Y, Scroll-to-End-Y, Run-[blank], Install-[blank], Product-Code-H95

W986110BB 1-Action Security View-Y, Add-Y, Change-Y, Delete-Y, OK/Select-Y,

W986110BC 1-Action Security View-Y, Add-Y, Change-Y, Delete-Y, OK/Select-Y,

W986110BD 1-Action Security View-Y, Add-Y, Change-Y, Delete-Y, OK/Select-Y,

W986110BE 1-Action Security View-Y, Add-N, Change-N, Delete-N, OK/Select-Y,
Copy-N, Scroll-to-End-Y, Run-[blank], Install-[blank], Product-Code-H95

P986110B 3-Application Security View-Y, Add-Y, Change-Y, Delete-Y,
OK/Select-[blank], Copy-[blank], Scroll-to-End-[blank], Run-Y, Install-Y,
Product-Code-H95

P.O. Box 1

830-868-5035

Dave

I just have action security at the app level...P986110B, view only for *PUBLIC. There are some ADMIN type groups that have rights to delete. My two cents.

Patty

Thanks to all for your suggestions - it's given me some avenues to pursue with management to see what way, if any, we may want to lock this down.

Happy Holidays!

Dave Schlieder

P.S. Supposed to be in the low 80's for Christmas - no snow skiing this year! But maybe some water skiing!

Dave

"Supposed to be in the low 80's for Christmas"

I'm jealous. I'm in Southwest FL and it was a chilly 44 degrees this morning. My FL blood isnt' used to this.

Patty

I feel for you in California and Florida.

Here in Spokane, WA, we're just coming out of a 3-week spell when temperatures didn't break freezing. We're hoping to make it up to 40 degrees today!

Merry Christmas to all on the list!

Re: RE: RE: Submitted Jobs Security - Deleting active jobs.

I just tried another method available in EnterpriseOne Version 9. Try using Button Security (Type U) to remove the OK button from W986110BE for people who do not need to have the abbility to delete processing jobs.

If you do it on the *public level just add it back to those individuals who should have this ability.

Back