Xe on 2003 Presentation Server 4 Machines

EkilErif

Hi List,

Our environment consists of the following:
1 x AS400 (OneWorld Database)
3 x Windows 2000 Application Servers
6 x Citrix MetaFrame XPe Servers

We are now looking at rebuilding our Citrix farm using Presentation Server 4 on Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1.

Has anyone else got a similar configuration or had issues with Xe running on Citrix PS4 on Windows 2003?

Kind Regards
Richard

I just finished upgrading our farm from Metaframe XP FR3 to PS3 w/2005.04 sp.

What kind of hardware are you running your Citrix boxes off of? We had MS come in and tell us that we'd get be able to get 10% more users per box... yea, that wasn't so accurate. I learned the hardware that Xe needs horsepower, not TS tweaking. The more processor you can give it, the better it will run.

Over the next few weeks, I plan on finding methods to tweak some perforamnce outta the boxes.

Hi Brian,

You have now been running on 2003 for some time now. How is it going so far?

We will be running 6 Citrix Servers, each server has Dual Xeon 2GHz processors and 4GB of memory! We are only supporting around 50 - 70 users which works out at around 10 - 15 users per server. The boxes should be able to cope fine.

Our developers are opposing the upgrade saying that XE is not supported on 2003 and PS4. I think they are just too lazy to take the time to test their work!

Anyway, I would really appreciate you letting me know how your experience has been?

Kind Regards
Richard

Well, your machines are much better than ours. I have 4 Compaq DL360's (dual 1.2 w4gb memory) and I can max out at 45ish users before I run out of memory. (I have 2 G3 servers too, I don't know how many max users it can take.)

Like I said before, we aren't running PS4, only PS3 with the 2005_04 sp. Which actually upgrades the PS3 binaries to PS4. We just need to change our licensing to 4 and boom, we're at 4
smile.gif

As for the experience. It's been fine. We have some applications that are hanging up a bit, but I'm of the opinion that it's a coding problem. Since I'm low man on the poll, they think it's a Citrix problem, so I've placed a call to Jeff Pitsch to see if he'll do some consulting work. (Brian Madden turned it down
frown.gif
)

If you have any specific questions, let me know!

I'm sorry if this has been covered elswhere, does anybody have updates on moving to Presentation Server 4? We are still on win2000 server, would it be better to move to win2003 before moving to Presentation Server 4?

hi, we are using w2k3 with ps4 and jdeOW V.XE Sp19.1 and it just isnt stable for us for some reason. i have had people look at our farm and everything looks ok. but the jde published app just freezes, crashes, or just dissapears at random for my users.

We are looking for some answers too. Couldn't get any help from Oracle or Citrix. We are upgrading Citrix Metaframe 1.8 to PS4 and the OS from WINNT to WIN2K3 SP1.We are running ERP8 SP22 on the old server and will be running the same on the new server.
Appreciate if any one can post their experiences with this scenario.

Here's an update. We just went live with XE on presentation server 4.0 and win 2k servers (not win2003) and it seems to be improved from what Metaframe XP was for us. We are up to 120-140 users and seem to be doing pretty well the past 2 weeks. In february, we'll be adding an additional 50-100 users so we'll see how things go at that point but I'm pretty thrilled with how things have gone so far. Clients have to be updated to 9.0 to fix any printing issues. Other then that, we've had a couple of freeze ups but that's it, most have not complained.

I'm sorry I missed your post.

I implemented Presentation Server 4.0 on Win2K3 at the beginning of last year across 9 terminal servers, 150 concurrent users (running B7333XU7SP22Q1). Everything went well EXCEPT we found that Citrix started becoming very sensitive to Windows Client updates. Let me explain.

Over the past few months, Windows updates become more and more frequent. The client base (more than 500 named users), since the company has used citrix over many years, has various versions of citrix client installed.

What we found was that with the monthly Microsoft patches - various citrix clients would suddenly start having issues. These would vary - for example, from inability to connect to the server farm through to printers not being mapped correctly etc.

Moving to Presentation Server 4.0 and Win2K3 is fine - but be prepared to update your entire clientbase and make sure they are on absolutely the latest citrix client.

I had never seen issues with citrix clients and Microsoft patches before with Metaframe XP and earlier versions of citrix - and it was a pretty nasty surprise when we started seeing issues with the users. Each month (ie, with the latest set of patches) we were seeing groups of complaints with regards to citrix connectivity. I'm sure that eventually, the user community will eventually finally update but it is a gotcha that you have to be aware of.

Lastly, I also encountered some printing issues that required some of the citrix fixpacks. My recommendation is to keep your citrix implementation more up to date. You're going to find that Presentation Server 4.0 is a little more hands-on than prior versions of citrix.

By the way, as far as running JDE on Win2K3 is concerned - the ONLY issue ever encountered is the fact that by default, USERS only have read-only access to directories on the server, and you have to set write access to specific files and directories ! Apart from that, Presentation Server 4.0 works well with every version of OneWorld I've tried !

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, as far as running JDE on Win2K3 is concerned - the ONLY issue ever encountered is the fact that by default, USERS only have read-only access to directories on the server, and you have to set write access to specific files and directories ! Apart from that, Presentation Server 4.0 works well with every version of OneWorld I've tried !

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you give me and idea of the files and directories that need write access? I ran into the same problem, so I used filemon and regmon to see what was going on. Things got progressively better in my test environment as I changed the NTFS settings on the files that errored out, but I am still getting one unusual error that I can not pin down.

When a test account initially launches JDE, I get the..

Failed to update the system registry. Please try using REGEDIT.

Every time the test account opens JDE. When I run regmon while this happens it does not show any errors so I am a little confused. When I run the application as a local admin everything is fine, so I suspect it is some kind of permission issue. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Even if it is just nonspecific general recommendations for installing JDE on 2003 Server with PS4.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you give me and idea of the files and directories that need write access? I ran into the same problem, so I used filemon and regmon to see what was going on. Things got progressively better in my test environment as I changed the NTFS settings on the files that errored out, but I am still getting one unusual error that I can not pin down.

When a test account initially launches JDE, I get the..

Failed to update the system registry. Please try using REGEDIT.

Every time the test account opens JDE. When I run regmon while this happens it does not show any errors so I am a little confused. When I run the application as a local admin everything is fine, so I suspect it is some kind of permission issue. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Even if it is just nonspecific general recommendations for installing JDE on 2003 Server with PS4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually figured this out yesterday afternoon so I thought I would post what I found...

Grant Full Access permissions on the following 2 keys for local group "Users" or "Remote Desktop Users" or whatever local group you use for access to the TS using regedit:

1) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JDEdwards
2) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

Grant Full Access permissions on the following files and folders for local group "Users" or "Remote Desktop Users"

C:\b7\pd7333\
C:\b7\system\
C:\jde*.*

It seems, by default, Windows 2003 server takes write access away from common users in places Windows 2000 allowed it.

I did a few tests with this yesterday afternoon and everything is fine now.

We are currently running Citrix Presentation Server 4.5 w/ a SQL Server 2005 clustered for the Datastore. Our JDE version is older though. We are running JDE OneWorld, Release B7333, SP 20, update 1 with an AIX Oracle DB backend.

As for the stalling, we were seeing a lot of that to start with, but we discovered the problem seemed to be related to Session Reliability. After disabling it, the problems seemed to go away.

Sessions were also closing unexpectedly; this was related to some security that needed to be specifically set in the registry:

Grant your JDE users Full Control rights to the following key:

• HKLM\Software\JDEdwards\

Grant your JDE users rights to the following folders:

• C:\B7
• C:\WINDOWS\debug\UserMode\ChkAcc.log
• C:\jdeapp.xdp
• C:\jdeapp.ddp
• C:\jdesec.xds
• C:\jdesec.dds
• C:\jdemod.ddm
• C:\jdemod.xdm
• C:\jdeauth.dda
• C:\jdeauth.xda

We are however now noticing other issues with the more advanced security settings on Windows 2003. When users put in a purchase requisition, the notification email is not being sent. Using SysInternals File Mon, we are able to see that some files called spvg.8 are not being written to the C:\ drive due to access being denied.

Is there a way to set JDE up so these sorts of files get written to a temp folder that we control, rather than opening up the Root drive to the “everyone” group like Windows 2000?

Thanks for any advise.

From a non JDE expert.

Back