Changing logo on JAS login & Welcome page.?

ice_cube210

VIP Member
Hi List,

I want to chage the logo on the JAS login page and on the welcome page after you sign in. I have been able to do this quite easily on earlier tools releases by just replacing the .gif file that was being called with my own file keeping the file name the same. This used to take effect immediately without any service restart etc.

Now I have two systems - 8.9 & 8.11 both on Tools Release 8.94 and WAS 5.0.2.3/5.0.2.2 , Windows boxes and i cant seem to be able to change the logos like I used to earlier.

I tried replacing the logo on the login page login-logo.gif located at \webclient.war\share\images\login but after replacing the file the image does not display at all , but shows a blank box with a red "X" instead. The moment i restore the original file the image displays correctly again.

Same was the case with the welcome.gif file located at
\webclient.war\taskexplorer\ui.

Any one on Tools Release 8.94 and higher been able to change the logos on the login and welcome page...?

Thanks in Advance

Is there no one out there whooz done this on TR 8.94 and higher..??

Thanks

We're on 8.10 tools release 8.94 and we changed the logos in the way that you suggested was possible in earlier versions. We haven't had any problems. Are you sure you are changing the correct .gif files? The best way to find out where the logos are coming from is to pull open the page (http://[root]/jde/owhtml) then right click on the logo images and select properties. It should give you the path to the images. My guess is that you are changing the wrong files. Good luck!

Josh,

Thanks for your response. I did change the correct files. because the moment i change it back to the original file it displays it properly.

Could you tell me which logos you changed. I am currently trying to change two logos.

login-logo.gif located at \webclient.war\share\images\login

and

welcome.gif located at \webclient.war\taskexplorer\ui

So I am pretty sure that I am changing the right file. I suspect some setting at the WebSphere level may be preventing it from displaying the updated image.

Any thoughts...any one.....?

This may or may not have anything to do with your issue but are you clearing the browser cache after changing the images? Try either that or using a browser that has never seen the images once you make the change.

Also, check your http server access logs for the http return code given for the image file when the page is loaded. Post it here.

[ QUOTE ]
Josh,

Thanks for your response. I did change the correct files. because the moment i change it back to the original file it displays it properly.

Could you tell me which logos you changed. I am currently trying to change two logos.

login-logo.gif located at \webclient.war\share\images\login

and

welcome.gif located at \webclient.war\taskexplorer\ui

So I am pretty sure that I am changing the right file. I suspect some setting at the WebSphere level may be preventing it from displaying the updated image.

Any thoughts...any one.....?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff,

Thanks for your response. Yes I am clearing the browser cache and also tried from a new browser. I have also set the browser options to " Check for newer vesions of stored pages" as "Every visit to the page"

I checked the HTTP Server Access logs. You are right the code returned when the image is changed is different from the when the original image is used.

This is what it looks like

Before Change
172.17.32.122 - - [23/Nov/2005:15:46:18 +0530] "GET /jde/share/images/login/login-logo.gif HTTP/1.1" 304 0

After Change
172.17.32.122 - - [23/Nov/2005:15:51:23 +0530] "GET /jde/share/images/login/login-logo.gif HTTP/1.1" 404 74

Before Change
172.17.32.122 - - [23/Nov/2005:15:46:48 +0530] "GET /jde/taskexplorer/ui/welcome.gif HTTP/1.1" 304 0

After Change
172.17.32.122 - - [23/Nov/2005:15:54:21 +0530] "GET /jde/taskexplorer/ui/welcome.gif HTTP/1.1" 404 68

Any idea as to what the code means...

Thanks in Advance

"Teach a man to fish..."

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html

Is the http server *nix? Do you have permissions set properly?

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff,

Thanks for your response. Yes I am clearing the browser cache and also tried from a new browser. I have also set the browser options to " Check for newer vesions of stored pages" as "Every visit to the page"

I checked the HTTP Server Access logs. You are right the code returned when the image is changed is different from the when the original image is used.

This is what it looks like

Before Change
172.17.32.122 - - [23/Nov/2005:15:46:18 +0530] "GET /jde/share/images/login/login-logo.gif HTTP/1.1" 304 0

After Change
172.17.32.122 - - [23/Nov/2005:15:51:23 +0530] "GET /jde/share/images/login/login-logo.gif HTTP/1.1" 404 74

Before Change
172.17.32.122 - - [23/Nov/2005:15:46:48 +0530] "GET /jde/taskexplorer/ui/welcome.gif HTTP/1.1" 304 0

After Change
172.17.32.122 - - [23/Nov/2005:15:54:21 +0530] "GET /jde/taskexplorer/ui/welcome.gif HTTP/1.1" 404 68

Any idea as to what the code means...

Thanks in Advance

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff,

Thanks for the link. Well code 404 is for Not Found....which kind of puzzles me that the file is very much there with the same name. And how is it able to pull the same file name..once the original final is renamed back again.

And a snippet for error code 404 is

"This status code is commonly used when the server does not wish to reveal exactly why the request has been refused, or when no other response is applicable.
"

Dont know why it does not wish to reveal it to me..lol..

Well to answer your other question no the web server is not a Unix box...its a Windows box...running Win 2000 Advanced Server, IBM HTTP Server 1.3.26 and WAS 5.0.2.3

And file permission for all those files is "Everyone"...

Commonly know as "404 Not Found", this occurs when, for whatever reason, the http server cannot find, access, what the uri (file in this case) requested.

Knowing that this a windows box makes it really wierd. Usually you get this kind of stuff by not chmodding or chowing the file on *nix.

How are you creating the replacement images? Have you made a copy of the original, saved the original as file.gif.bak and then renamed the modifed version as the original?

Do you happen to have file extensions for known files types hidden? Tools|Folder Options|View|Hide Extensions for Known File Types. I apoligize if I offend your knowledge with this last question but I am doing a bit of grasping at straws here.

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff,

Thanks for the link. Well code 404 is for Not Found....which kind of puzzles me that the file is very much there with the same name. And how is it able to pull the same file name..once the original final is renamed back again.

And a snippet for error code 404 is

"This status code is commonly used when the server does not wish to reveal exactly why the request has been refused, or when no other response is applicable.
"

Dont know why it does not wish to reveal it to me..lol..

Well to answer your other question no the web server is not a Unix box...its a Windows box...running Win 2000 Advanced Server, IBM HTTP Server 1.3.26 and WAS 5.0.2.3

And file permission for all those files is "Everyone"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff,

I am renaming the original image...say weclome.gif to welcome_original.gif. I then rename my custom file welcome_new.gif as welcome.gif located in the same directory.

I tried all permutations and combinations - ie doing the change with services running, stoping changing restarting, rebooting the machine etc etc....

The "Hide Extensions for Known file types" is not checked. and no you did not offend my knowledge with this question...lol..on the other hand I really appreciate you spending time on an issue such as this....

Try editing the original file (after making a backup of course) to see if that works. That way you would keep the same file, permissions, etc.

This seems like a pure http server issue. The http server is just not finding the file you are asking it to find. You aren't serving all content through WebSphere are you? Ahhh, shouldn't matter.

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff,

I am renaming the original image...say weclome.gif to welcome_original.gif. I then rename my custom file welcome_new.gif as welcome.gif located in the same directory.

I tried all permutations and combinations - ie doing the change with services running, stoping changing restarting, rebooting the machine etc etc....

The "Hide Extensions for Known file types" is not checked. and no you did not offend my knowledge with this question...lol..on the other hand I really appreciate you spending time on an issue such as this....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jeff,

By the way, List sorry to bring up an old post.

Jeff, your last suggestion did the trick. If I edited the original image itslef using an image editor like paintbrush, then the updated image showed up fine on the web page.

It still baffles me, why renaming the file wouldnt work, even though all permissions etc were the same. Any way I got I wanted so I guess I will just let that mystery remain unsolved. Its not really worth breaking your head over any way.

Thanks

What about this jdelogo-onwhite.gif the 200x41 pixels one, on 8.95 and 8.94? It is a page backround. It seems like changing it has no effect, almost like it is read from somewhere else or is hardcoded, not read from where it appears as a file... I have already explored cahcing on the web app server and the browser, that's not why, so any other ideas?

Anybody on the jdelogo-onwhite.gif (left top corner)?
Is it a frame background? Or is it generated with each application? Has anyone changed it successfully?

Back