JDE Licences

Niallo32

We are planning to migrate to a new business system before the licence renewal date of JDE next year.

After which we would need to have read access to JDE to check history and there is a possibility that if there were problems with the migration, we would still need to transact on JDE.

My question is, if you dont get the Software Protection Code from Peoplesoft/Oracle, then can you login to JDE?

Are there any ways around this?

Thanks in advance

Niallo,

I have a client that has not been on JDE maintenance since March of this year. They have the same situation as you do except that they plan to move to a new system later than you do.

In any case, they have 2 AS/400s both running JDE. We were able to get Software Protection Codes with no problem. There is a Oracle/Peoplesoft/JDE Web Site where this can be done at although I can't remember the URL.

Oracle is very helpful. You can call them and they will tell you the URL. To my knowledge you can use JDE idefinitely. I think that our date when the Software Protection Code next expires is something like 2011.

Good Luck.

Niallo32 <[email protected]> wrote:
We are planning to migrate to a new business system before the licence renewal date of JDE next year.

After which we would need to have read access to JDE to check history and there is a possibility that if there were problems with the migration, we would still need to transact on JDE.

My question is, if you dont get the Software Protection Code from Peoplesoft/Oracle, then can you login to JDE?

Are there any ways around this?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply. Can you clarify exactly what you are paying for when you pay your annual licence fee?

I always had assumed that it was for the ability to use JDE.

If I dont pay the annual licence fee and I then login and I breaking the law? I would'nt like to go down this road.

Are you sure that the next SPC is not for a few years and it is readily available from Oracle?

Niallo,

I think you can use JDE indefinitely without paying for maintenance. What maintenance gets you is the ability for telephone support, software upgrades, and so on. If you don't need it then you don't have to pay. However, most companies do prefer to have it.

I recently upgraded the SPC code for my client (who does not have maintenance) from the URL so I am pretty sure it can be done.

However, I am not a lawyer or an accountant, so I am basing what I am telling you based upon what I was able to do. I would never do anything that is not within the law. The best thing to do is to call Oracle/Peoplesoft/JDE and discuss it with them. They were very good about it with us. Or review your JDE contract with a lawyer or accountant at your firm to be sure of your position.

Niallo32 <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Can you clarify exactly what you are paying for when you pay your annual licence fee?

I always had assumed that it was for the ability to use JDE.

If I dont pay the annual licence fee and I then login and I breaking the law? I would'nt like to go down this road.

Are you sure that the next SPC is not for a few years and it is readily available from Oracle?

Niallo,

Our company no longer pays Oracle for maintence. We use TomorrowNow for support. We still actively use OneWorld. Our license agreement allows use to do so. Please check your contract. Before you lose support, download the SPC generator tool from Oracle's website. You can then regenerate your SPC code. It will be good for at least ten years. I trust you will be off of JDE by then.
cool.gif

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Niallo32,

You can download the SPC generator for EnterpriseOne from Oracle/PeopleSoft's website. Use this anytime to generate a license key that will last you until 2019.

Good luck!

It is not required to be on maintenance to use the software. You can call
in anytime and get an SPC code. You are still a customer even without
maintenance. We have many World customers who have gone this route and
decided to use our services instead of paying very expensive maintenance to
Oracle. Obviously, this is not a decision to be done lightly, there are
many considerations such as your future ERP solution strategy before
deciding to get off vendor maintenance.

Andy Klee
www.JDEtips.com/Maintenance.asp.

Thanks for all the replies. We currently pay two sets of charges - one to Peoplesoft/Oracle for licences for all our Users and a monthly charge to the vendor here who provides support on JDE. The charge I was referring to is the first one above - the annual licence cost. Do all your answers still hold true in light of that?

[ QUOTE ]
... The charge I was referring to is the first one above - the annual licence cost. Do all your answers still hold true in light of that?

[/ QUOTE ]

YUP! That is exactly what we are talking about.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Thanks Greg - Just wanted to ensure I had'nt got the wrong end of the stick and ended up in a lot of trouble!

Back