E1 Multi-Foundation on AS400, anyone?

jlowell

We have been trying to setup multi-foundation on our system for a few weeks and have not been successful. We currently have two Enterprise Iseries boxes; one has PD9 and the other has DV9 and PY9. We would like to set it up so that we can install service tools release on the Dev side and test for an extended period of time.

Anyone running Iseries, v5r3, EnterpriseOne 8.93 or above using multi-foundation out there? So far we have not been able to find anyone with experience with this endeaver.

Most of the documentation that PeopleSoft is supplying is based on Xe and using only 1 server. PeopleSoft says that this will work and they recommend that we set up multi-foundation, but they have come short in supplying answers and solutions. As it is, a few sources describe multi-foundation as a nightmare to administer.

Any insight would be appreciated.

From the lack of responses, my suspicion is that there are very few, if any, E1 multi-foundation on AS400 shops around? I have yet to talk to anyone running one of these shops, especially multi-foundation with two E1 servers. Peoplesoft says they exist, but will not provide a contact point. Several Peoplesoft consultants, present and past, that I know have admitted that they have never seen one in operation. I guess this is like searching for Big Foot.

I have had a multi-foundation install of 8.94_L1 and 8.95_A1 as well as an 8.95_A1 and an 8.95_C1.

I have several customers for whom I've configured multi-foundation on iSeries, at releases from Xe to 8.10. The general approach remains the same regardless of release, so the Xe docs provide a good starting point (there are also 8.10 iSeries multi-foundation docs available on the KG), though obviously a there are a few release-specific settings like directory/library names to consider. Administration isn't such a big deal, so long as you're not building tons of packages for each Tools Release - even if you will be, you can configure a non-default foundation location to avoid having to copy the Deployment Server System and SYSTEMCOMP directories backwards-and-forwards.
One recommendation I would make would be to create a dedicated custom path code on your development system for use with the multi-foundation environment, probably as a copy of your Production path code. This way you'll be able to perform your Tools Release testing without comprimising your ability to fully support your production system.

Rgds,

[ QUOTE ]
I have several customers for whom I've configured multi-foundation on iSeries, at releases from Xe to 8.10. The general approach remains the same regardless of release, so the Xe docs provide a good starting point (there are also 8.10 iSeries multi-foundation docs available on the KG), though obviously a there are a few release-specific settings like directory/library names to consider. Administration isn't such a big deal, so long as you're not building tons of packages for each Tools Release - even if you will be, you can configure a non-default foundation location to avoid having to copy the Deployment Server System and SYSTEMCOMP directories backwards-and-forwards.
One recommendation I would make would be to create a dedicated custom path code on your development system for use with the multi-foundation environment, probably as a copy of your Production path code. This way you'll be able to perform your Tools Release testing without comprimising your ability to fully support your production system.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting and good to hear. We have been unlucky even with upgrading with single foundation. We have several bolt-ons that keep us from proceeding and because of this we need multi-foundation to work. We tried for several weekends to make it work with the help of Peoplesoft, but we couldn't get it off the ground. Not being able to find anyone at Peoplesoft that had actually seen multi-foundation run on mutli-AS400 servers did not help matters much. We keep asking Peoplesoft for contacts with others that have a similar setup, but we get no help.

Have you had any specific problems with the mutli-foundation setup? Also, when you mention multiple servers, are the two servers sharing code or are they completely seperate? If they are seperate, then isn't mutli-foundation for one server then? I'm just trying to get the scenario right as i've been looking into it as well. My company has 2 LPARS but they share system specific info.

I have installed Multi-Foundation with V5R3 on Xe but I believe my experience can be of help. Differently then documented when you have Multi-Foundation on V5R3 you need to have different IPC initial address between all 400s in the shop as well as different from what is being used on any Windows servers you may have.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you had any specific problems with the mutli-foundation setup? Also, when you mention multiple servers, are the two servers sharing code or are they completely seperate? If they are seperate, then isn't mutli-foundation for one server then? I'm just trying to get the scenario right as i've been looking into it as well. My company has 2 LPARS but they share system specific info.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have two physical servers, 570 & 820. The 570 is our primary server and contains the system libraries such as OL9, DD9, SY9. The secondary server, 820, uses the 570 for some security. In other words, F98OWSEC and such only exist on the 570. However, security is different between ennviroments. PD and PY share tables, while we have different tables mapped for DV9. It gets very confusing.

[ QUOTE ]
I have installed Multi-Foundation with V5R3 on Xe but I believe my experience can be of help. Differently then documented when you have Multi-Foundation on V5R3 you need to have different IPC initial address between all 400s in the shop as well as different from what is being used on any Windows servers you may have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the times we tried to setup MF, we did use different IPC settings via the JDE.INI file. After talking to several people, including Oracle, we have come to the conclusion that our setup is slightly beyond the norm and may take some extra handling to get it setup.

Back