Extremely poor build performance 8.94_P

msouterblight1

VIP Member
All,

I am experiencing extremely poor build performance after upgrading from 8.94_N to 8.94_P. From the workstation, when BusBuild kicks off, it was running for HOURS and still hadn't begun to build the dlls, it was still pulling the NERs from the DB. The actual spec files finished and the source code was still being generated in the package folder on the dep. server! I ran the build on the Dep. Server and it ran fine. I can switch back to the previous Tools Release, and the build runs fine from the workstation.

Something is causing the build to go slow on the workstastion with 8.94_P, but is fine with 8.94_N, and the weird thing is the Deployment Server is not affected.

Any ideas???

Check your JDE.INI file on your workstation for 8.94_P. Do you have an entry in this file under the [INSTALL] section that looks like "WaitForBusBuild=Y"? If so, this is why it might be taking longer.

Also, do you have antivirus software or defrag software running on the 8.94_P workstation? These will also degrade performance.

Hi,

The INI is fine, the build with 8.94N is being done with the same exact INI and it works great. It just goes extremely slow when creating the NER source code.

Thanks

One way to determine what is going on is to turn on the jdedebug.log during the build. I know this will cause the build to go even slower, but the log might have some clues as to what is going on during the NER Generation. Incidently, if you run this way, just build the business functions (without specs), that way the NER generation will be close to the first thing that occurs.

When the NER is getting generated, busbuild is accessing the RDB spec files and Data Dictionary. Is it possible that the DD on the workstation was empty? I know you said you switched back to N, but did you try switching back to P again and rebuilding. If the DD files in your spec directory (dddict, ddtext) were empty this could explain the slowness on that workstation. WHen you switch back to N, then the DD's were essentially built from the previous run.

In any event, you should be able to view the log to see what is taking the most time. Is the generation constantly hitting the F92 (DD files)? Is the log showing excessive SQL activity?

Good luck,

Chris

All,

To troubleshoot this even more I did the following:

1. snapshot to 8.94_P.
2. Try package build. It went extremely slow.
3. Rename System folder to System_894P
4. Copy the System folder from my 8.94_N snapshot (now I have tools release 8.94_N with the specs I was using in my 8.94_P snapshot.
5. Resubmitted build. It went fine.

This is definitely an issue with Tools Release 8.94_P.

Another funny thing happened. I attempted to build an update package with 3 BSFNs and 3 DSTRs. The package finished successfully on the client side, but the DSTRs all errored on the PDF for the server. However, if I went in and looked at the DSTMPL.sts file in the package directory on the server, it finished successfully. I have seen this happen before due to timeout issues...

The other thing I noticed, that may be causing the issues with full build takign so long is that each of the BSFNs I selected appeared twice in the cmdfile.txt file in the package directory on the Deployment Server. It would appear that each BSFN is being built twice!!!

Back