IBM Websphere Licensing with 8.11

ARJOHNSON

Can anyone tell me how to base my Websphere licensing using 8.11? Thanks!

It depends on whether or not you are a new customer or an existing customer who is upgrading to 8.11. If you are a new customer, your contract should include the cost of unlimited licenses (as many CPU's/Servers as you want). If you are an existing customer (for instance, running Xe or ERP 8.0 and upgrading to 8.11) you will need to add the technology foundation to your contract. It isn't cheap, but then again it isn't cheap when they bury the cost into new contracts, either.

My company upgraded from Xe to 8.9 in 2004; we never purchased the technology foundation and because of this we must do so if we run out of CPU licenses for our existing WebSphere installation. Probably won't happen so long as we continue running Citrix - but as soon as a decision is made to upgrade to 8.11 or beyond we must factor the cost of the app server licenses (whatever that may be, WebSphere or Oracle Application Server.)

thanks for the reply... sometime back.. websphere was ordered in an attempt at possibly implementing the web client.. which it never was.. .now the licensing needs renewed..and we are moving toward an 8.11 upgrade. I'm just curious if what we have is sufficient? Do I base the number of licenses needed on the number of Websphere installations I plan on having (2 servers for intance).. Is there a user license at all?

This is what we currently have:

*APPLICATION SRVR NETWORK DEPLOYMENT PROC ANNUAL SW MAINT RNWL
Quantity (2) Amount @3,000.00 6,000.00
*APPLICATION DEV FOR WEBSPHERE SW AUTH USER ANNUAL SW MAINT RNWL
Quantity (2) Amount @800.00 1,600.00 Total Points 33.72 Total in USD 7,600.00

You should take a close look at your contracts and speak with your account representative. The contracts I've seen indicate either specific number of CPU's (they mean actual physical processors) rather than a limit to the number of servers. If I have 20 WebSphere licenses, I should be able to install on 20 1-CPU machines or 1 20 CPU machine or any variation of this so long as I don't exceed 20 CPU's. I don't know that they license per user - but things change daily. Who knows what Uncle Larry has up his sleeve now that the market has shrunk to its current size.

[ QUOTE ]
If I have 20 WebSphere licenses, I should be able to install on 20 1-CPU machines or 1 20 CPU machine ..

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, a 20 CPU server? Where'd cha find that? I bet ya that one would be one smokin fast web server!

Actually, we have a 14 CPU HP but not using it for WebSphere. We have a few 32-processor pSeries 570's (not using those for JDE just yet). When we do, we'll be using LPAR's and of course we'll have dynamic CPU access when necessary.

and us poor "wintel heads" have to make do only 8 CPUs in our heavy iron!!!! have a good one Charley!

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, a 20 CPU server? Where'd cha find that? I bet ya that one would be one smokin fast web server!

[/ QUOTE ]

You might still need to verticaly clone it...20 times.??..lol..
wink.gif
to make full use of 20 processors rite...coz the 1.3.1 JVM performs single threaded garbage collection, and GC being the area that requires the most CPU power..

I know its hypothetical , but like you mentioned would interesting to see how a 20-Way Box would perform

I'd bet it doesn't perform much better than a 2 or 4 processor box due to the single threaded nature of the JVM you mentioned - but once you scale to a certain number of users scaling out usually doesn't hurt.

Back