BSFN OCM Mappings Recommended by ORACLE-PSFT-JDE

list6654

An Oracle consultant has recently recommended (strongly) that all BSFNs be mapped to the Enterprise Server, even for pre 8.11-releases . In fact, he suggested that mapping BSFNs locally would hurt performance. He said that this recommendation applied to both Citrix clients and Web clients.

This again appears to be another flip-flop by JDE. Beginning around release E1 8.0 JDE and PSFT removed the W* environments and OCM mappings that mapped the BSFNs to the Enterprise Server. My 8.10 did not have these mappings so my Citrix clients use local C code.

I am curious if anyone else has heard this most recent recommendation from Oracle-PSFT-JDE. I am also curious if anyone else has heard the same. I am also curious if you are on a pre-8.11 release if you switched back. If so, what procedure did you follow to set up the W* environments (since they are not in planner).

Bunk. Ask your 'consultant' for empirical evidence or even a white paper to back up his claims. I've seen absolutely no evidence that performance gains can be realized by mapping all of your business functions to the server for non-web clients. This has been discussed many times before on this list.

[ QUOTE ]
Bunk. Ask your 'consultant' for empirical evidence or even a white paper to back up his claims. I've seen absolutely no evidence that performance gains can be realized by mapping all of your business functions to the server for non-web clients. This has been discussed many times before on this list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to see this information as well. This was one of the quesitons I asked when we first updated to 8.10 and I was told there were no mapping changes needed. This was be several JDE sources as well as several who were not.

Time to get a new consultant! Unless you are using the web client, which absolutely requires a logic server, you are WAY better off running business functions locally. I have screaming fast hardware on the back end, but my performance using business functions takes a nose dive if I process business functions on the logic servers. So I echo Charles "I hate cruise ships" Anderson, BUNK!

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Back