8.11 UBE Performance

kanderson

We are in the process of upgrading from Xe SP22_L1 to 8.11 8.94_K1. Our testing is consistently giving us very poor performance on UBE's, both custom and JDE written. We are seeing run time from 2 to 10 longer in 8.11. Both installations are running on the same iSeries with similiar jde.ini configurations.

I have tried to get information from JDE on what to expect in 8.11 performance compared to XE, but they have been unable to produce anything.

I have tested the UBE's against both a Unicode and a non-Unicode database with no significant difference.

Make sure you have EDRSQL running on the AS/400. This was not a requirement on Xe:

EDRSQL service can be checked through the Operations Navigator:

--> Go to the server, open Network, Servers, and click on TCP/IP. The EDRSQL service should be started. EDRSQL is a TCP/IP service (Extended Dynamic Remote Sequal Server), which runs an AS400 job named QXDAEDRSQL.

Per today's customer consortium conference call, if you have not converted to Unicode, your UBE's will take the performance hit big time, like 10 - 50% increase.

I did the Unicode conversion and the UBE's still had the same performance problem compared to Xe performance.

Obviously you have another bottleneck that is a greater hindrance to performance than what one might see with a non-Unicode database. When everything else is equal, then you should see the difference.

Post you jde.ini (Enterprise Server), jas.ini and JDBJ.ini.

Do you have all the required PTF's as indicated on the APAR?

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/events/jde_links.html

When you move form B733.X to 8.9/8.10/8.11 you can expect a 50% decrease in performance. i.e. a UBE that took 10 minutes under Xe will take 15 minutes in 8.11. To maintain performance you'd need a box that had 50% more CPW.

Are you giving me the 50% decrease in performance based on your experience or is this documented somewhere? That seems like a big issue for JDE not to have that documented. I would need to upgrade to the new i5 machine with more CPW per processor. I can add more CPW to my current machine by adding processors, but it will not speed up a single UBE.

I am attaching the jde.ini. I am not including the jas.ini or jdbj.ini since I am only concerned about batch performance at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 95678-jde.txt
    8.9 KB · Views: 163
Both experience and documentation. We're also IBM VAR for OraSoftEdwards so we have sizing tools for all platforms. I've done 6 8.9/8.10/8.11 upgrades with 3 on AS/400.

I've attached some JDE documentation on sizing for 8.9/8.10/8.11. You also need an IBM sizing since the JDE one is just a 'ballpark'

What model AS/400 are you on? How many users? What modules?

Your JDE.INI looks good. Just a few things I might change. I normally use a lower IPC range. I think the 'SQL Package Library=2' should be commented out after the upgrade as well. When you have the chance shut down Xe and 8.11, stop QUSRWRK and delete all SQL packages (except those that begin with Q). This will take AWHILE since in the JDE.INI you have 'SQL Packages=2' active.

[JDEIPC]
maxNumberOfResources=6000
maxNumberOfSemaphores=3000
startIPCKeyValue=7101

[JDENET_KERNEL_DEF2]
krnlName=UBE KERNEL
dispatchDLLName=JDEKRNL
dispatchDLLFunction=JDEK_DispatchUBEMessage
maxNumberOfProcesses=4
numberOfAutoStartProcesses=2

[JDENET_KERNEL_DEF4]
krnlName=SECURITY KERNEL
dispatchDLLName=JDEKRNL
dispatchDLLFunction=JDEK_DispatchSecurity
maxNumberOfProcesses=5
numberOfAutoStartProcesses=3

[DB SYSTEM SETTINGS]
;SQL Package Library=2

Attachments

• 95685-Upgrade Sizing Comparison.zip
    8.7 KB · Views: 216
Thanks for the performance documents. We have an iSeries 825 with 4 processors active and 24 GB Main Storage. We currently have about 80 users.

We are using Financials, Sales Order Processing with Advanced Pricing and Advanced Transportation, Procurement, A/P, and A/R.

Can you give me an explanatin on what the SQL Package Library=2 means. I can't find this setting in the PeopleBooks or Knowledge Garden. We bring services down and delete all SQL packages 3 time a week.

Thanks.

I had a question about the SQL Packages in QRECOVERY not too long ago. In the answer, the Oracle consultant explained that the SQL Package Library=2 will force each batch job to create its own unique SQL package in QRECOVERY.

I did not get the full explination as to why, but I would assume it is for troubleshooting purposes. It may also help isolate the SQL Package from the general collection for special cases, like the Table Conversions, where you might not want to use an existing SQL Package or pollute what is there.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Kevin,

I think dougrezanka correct on the interpretation of SQLPackages=2.

Your AS/400 has 4400 CPW which on paper is 1/4 more horse power than you likely need with all users on the system. I'd get your IBM Partner to do an official sizing to tell you what you really need.

Colin

We have everything running on the AS/400, including WAS. Right now I am just looking at UBE performance. There were no 8.11 users on the system while I was doing my testing.

Back