Replacing 8.11 deployment server

Maria Miller

Has anyone replaced their 8.11 deployment server?

I have the support document titled: Changing out a Deployment Server. I've gone through a couple deployment server replacements with other releases. Is there anything special/different about doing an 8.11 deployment server swap? Do I need to go through all of the 8.11 install cds? I remember when we initially installed 8.11 it took a long time for the deployment server install.

thanks Maria

The process for 8.11 also should be similar to what is mentioned in the doc. You need to specifically take care of of shifting your MSDE database from one deployment server to another for 8.9 and above.

Just run the first CD for 8.11. Dumping the CD contents on the machine and then installing should make your install process a little faster. Disable any active anti-virus scan

You are retaining the same host name right?

Ice,

For the MSDE databases, here is what we plan on doing.
- deattach MSDE databases on old server
- copy E811 folder over to new server
- attach MSDE databases on new server

Does this sound right?

Thanks for the tip on dumping the install cd on the machine.

We are changing host names. Our current server has ERP8 (snapped off) and 8.11 (active). We are moving 8.11 to the new server. So it will get a new name. Which means I'll need to update the F00942, F00945, F983051, F9861 in our Oracle db. Also will need to update f9650 & F9651 in MSDE db.

Maria

Maria,

After attaching the MSDE databases back on the new Deployment Server you will also need to re-associate the MSDE databases users with the master database of the MSDE instance on the new deployment server.

Run the following script against your new MSDE instance after attaching the MSDE databases from the old deployment server

use PSCTL811
go
sp_change_users_login 'Update_One','JDE','JDE'
go

use PSData811
go
go

use PSDD811
go
go

use PSOL811
go
go

use PSPlan811
go
go

use PSSY811
go
go

use PSVL811
go
go

Do not think of this as replacing a deployment server. Think of thos as (1) Install the Deployment server (2) A copy of the PeopleSoft directory, (3) Copy of ODBC registry entries and (4) SQL server change out.

(1) I is obvious. Just install the deployment server like it never existed.

(2) Blow away the Peoplesoft directory just created with a copy of YOUR Peoplesoft directory from the old machine.

(3) Use regedit (not regedt32) to export the registry keys from one deployment server to the other (search the Knowledge Jungle)

(4) This is a SQL server change out. Export all logins from the old MSDE database and import them on the new server. This matches SID's, etc.

Next created an attach/detach script on the old deployment server. Run this script on the new deployment server to reattach all of the SQL databases.

NOTE: You need the MS SQL Server Tools to navigate and run these scripts.

As long as you meet all the MTR's you should be fine (C Compiler must be installed & configured, Acrobat Reader, etc.)

We have gone through the steps outlined in the document: Changing out a Deployment Server. This included the steps for changing the name of the deployment server. We ran the first 8.11 install cd. We de-attached the MSDE dbs, copied the 811 folder over, re-attached the MSDE dbs, and re-associated the MSDE db users with the master db. Now we are having problems logging into DEP811 on the new deployment server. Attached is a zip file with the error that we are getting, the jde.log, & jdedebug.log.

The jde.log contains this error "Machine name in JDEAUTHUNI spec files does not match current machine name".

On the screen, I get Security Violation error and it wants me to setup security. If I continue on and try to setup security, I get error "Invalid Authorization Code/Expire Date".

In step 4. of the document: Changing out a Deployment Server, it says to "Be sure that your security files have been included in the copy/restore or you will have problems logging in." Which security files is this refering to?

We copied the folllowing files from the old deployment server's C drive to the new server' C drive (these didn't exist on the new server before we copied them over):
jdeappuni.ddp
jdeappuni.xdp
jdeauthuni.dda
jdeauthuni.xda
jdemoduni.ddm
jdemoduni.xdm
jdesecuni.dds
jdesecuni.xds
security_root.inf

The only other security files I can think of are the ones in 811\Client and those did get copied over to the new server.

I'm wondering if we should have ran through all of the install cds on the new server, instead of just the first cd.

Any suggestions?

thanks Maria

Attachments

• 95808-login_errors.zip
    92.6 KB · Views: 165
Maria,

If you are changing the name of the Deployment Server, I would think that you need to keep the license files genrated on the New Deployment Server, rather than replace them with the files from the old one.

That is after you ran CD1 and entered the new SPC code, make sure the new files genrated in the C:\ are the ones you use. Beacuse these files will have the name of your new deployment server. If you replace them with the ones from your old deployment server , they would obviously contain the name of the old deployment server and cause the mismatch.

Did you take a backup of the new files created on the C:\ before replacing them from the old machine..? Try restoring them back and then try to sign on.

The files didn't exist on the new server. So when we did the copy there was nothing to replace.

Maria

That doesnt sound good. The files should exist. I am not too sure of when they get created, but I am pretty sure that till Xe atleast it was after the first CD , coz thatz when you enter the SPC.

May be in 8.11 you need to go till the second or third Cd before the files get created.

I just had a look at the time stamp on the files on my 8.11 Deployment server, and it def looks like they get created only after the entire installation is complete. So maybe you have to go thru the entire install first and then do the restore operations. Just install one pathcode, so it will save you time.

The key would be the auth/sec/mod/app files that are created in the C:\ on the New Deployment server.

Although you enter the SPC during the first cd, it does not generate the security files until after all 4 cds. We just re-installed 8.11 using all 4 cds and now we are able to log into the deployment & planner environments. Yeah!

Maria

Maria,
Where did you get the support document? We are testing our disater recovery procedures. The support document would be a great addition to our restore procedures folder.

Thank you,
Dave

Back