8.10/8.11 Migration Questions

dmcmillian

Dear JDE List,
I have a few questions regarding migrating from XE to either 8.10 or 8.11 as follows:

1. Is the same toolset used for 8.10 and 8.11?

2. Are custom modifications to Applications and UBEs preserved or do they have to be manually applied in the new version?

3. Is a migration with a medium amount of modifications a 5 week or 6 month project?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi,

1. Is the same toolset used for 8.10 and 8.11?

A . Yes 8.10 & 8.11 basically have the same tool set. Tools release 8.94 and up can be used for both 8.10 & 8.11

2. Are custom modifications to Applications and UBEs preserved or do they have to be manually applied in the new version?

A. Anything in system code 55-59 should come thru clean ,some retrofitting might be required.

Any standard object that has been modified would definitely require retrofitting.

If you are staying on non unicode you will need to retrofit even custom business functions that R/W to files and also setup the Flat file encoding for all programs that do Flat File I/O.

3. Is a migration with a medium amount of modifications a 5 week or 6 month project?

Other than number of customizations , the duration would also depend on other factors such as the number or environments you have , no of modules used, no of users... your architecture..citrix/ or JAS...testing time frame, user training etc etc..

If you are going for 8.11 then you necessarily need to have JAS servers also setup..

So its hard to say how long it could take...but from start to go live in 5 weeks is not realistic. Think more on the lines of 3 - 6 months..

My answers :

1. Yes, the same except that 8.11 doesn't allow fat clients.
2. Mostly yes if you keep them on the 55-59 systems. Some retrofitting may be necessary
3. Think more about 3 to 9 months, depending on your luck and resources.

Great Answers. Thanks very much. This made me think of a couple of more questions.

1. How are Applications affected if you go to 8.11 versus 8.10? Does something special have to be done to go to 8.11 since everything runs on the Web?

2. What about custom business functions? Is anything special required for these?

3. Last one. My client has about a 1000 versions? How will this impact the migration?

Thanks and I really appreciate it.

Hi,

1. No, just be sure that no LOCAL UBEs and BSFNs are run.
2. No changes if you leave your databases as non-Unicode.
If you convert your databases to Unicode, you'll have to
revise your BSFN (every Unicode char = 16 bits, not 8!)
3. No impact, be sure to checkin all these versions before
the upgrade.

Regarding the impact on custom C Business functions, since in 8.9 and above the default is unicode , the upgrade process actually changes all your custom business fuctions to read and write to unicode.

I am attaching a JDE doc which explains the changes that need to be made. It should give you a better picture. You actually need to make changes to Custom C Business Functions in both cases - i.e data in Unicode or Non Unicode

Regarding versions, for batch versions the upgrade process does not carry forward job queue settings of XJDE & ZJDE versions. So if you have set specific job queues for these versions, be sure to set them specifically in your 8.10/8.11 DV before moving to production, else they will use the default job queue in the new release

Attachments

• 95614-Unicode and C Business Functions.zip
    7.8 KB · Views: 200
Be aware that there are major changes to the distribution module - from fields being removed to new fields being added. All these can have major impacts on customization.

Our experience at OmniSource was not good - we have put the XP 7.333 to 8.10 conversion on hold after about 6 months' effort until at least Jan 2006 because of relatively minor (I'd call "careless mistake") issues that had rather nasty side effects - in the JDE code (not customizations, although some affected our customizations).

For example, you should be aware that if you use the User Reserved Number field [F4311.URAB] in 43/Purchase Orders, OW 8.10 uses the field (SAR submitted, supposedly being fixed) - wiping out your changes. We found several other oops situations (unicode functions not working, etc.) in the JDE code, but it got to a point where we felt that we were doing software repairs that were best left to Oracle, so we stopped until they had a chance to get things cleaned up a bit (we hope, anyway).

Our business relies heavily on the distribution system - we're a scrap processing/brokerage firm that buys and sells scrap - either directly or through a brokerage-type arrangement - with very little processing of the material - so the distribtion module has to work pretty close to perfect to be acceptable to us.

I just wanted to highlight a likely issue with the custom versions: the underlying UBE's and their PO DSTR's are likely to change, so a lot of versions may need to be re-created, or at least processing options will need to be checked/fixed. Also, upgrades usually do not handle versions with ER overrides correctly.

Ideally, you should document all versions with ER overrides, all Processing Options, Data Selections and Vocabulary Overrides before and after for comparison and follow up on any discrepancies.

Back