Connect DB2/400 to MS Access

cdawes

VIP Member
Weird thing but I need to access a MS Access database from the AS/400. A UBE needs to run on the AS/400 to grab data from the Access database.

All of the setup (environemnts, datasources, OCM's) is complete and is identical between client and server.

The process works when initiated and run locally from the client.

Any ideas on what's required to the AS/400 talking to MS Access? Simply configuring the same DataSource and OCM's seemed almost too easy (hence why it no work).

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks,

Colin

(Working on E810 with Tools 8.94 running 100% Web)

I hope, for your sake - that someone can tell me I'm wrong.

Until then, I do not believe you can run an MS Access db from your ES - if your ES is not an IT/Windoez box. Even though the mapping may exist in the OCM - the network layering for the Access DB has to be LOCAL or found using the use of '\\servername'... the iSeries is natorious for missing the mark, here.

(db)

I may be completely off track here due to limited AS/400 experience, but do you think that the IFS can help here.

i.e. having the access db on the IFS..?

Colin,

The only E1-based solution I can offer is to use JDBNet. I have not used this to read Microsoft Access database from the AS/400 specifically but I have used it to read MS SQL databases from an AS/400 UBE. JDBNet should in theory allow you to access any E1 supported datasource by using an enterprise server "gateway" machine that has access to the database type you want to access.

It does take a bit of configuration and you would need a Wintel box running E1 enterprise services.

This has been discussed a few times on the list. Search for JDBNet.

IBM has something called Information Integrator (it used to be DB2 Information Integrator and now may be called Websphere Information Integrator) that they recommend be used. It works but it’s pricy.

RJS too has a product (RPG2SQL I think – not sure) that does something like that.

Free options are limited to type 4 JDBC driver. They are out there and people have used them. This means that he would have to write a little bit of Java code.

Aspen

Back