Poor web performance

corkyj

Since implementing HR/Payroll back in March of this year, we have constantly (5 - 10 times daily) had to clean the connection pools using the web SAW tool for JAS servers. This is done in response to either very slow response time, menus not being displayed, users not being able to login, or ORA-00600 errors being reported by our Oracle DB. For each of these issues if we clean all connection pools using the SAW web tool, the issue goes away. Has anyone else seen any issues like this? Any help would be appreciated. I have made several attempts to get call center support with little help.

[ QUOTE ]
I have made several attempts to get call center support with little help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're getting great value for the megabucks jdorasoft charges for support, huh?
tongue.gif

One thing you might try is setting your architecture to be 1-user 1-CallObject Kernel. When users share CallObject kernels it becomes exceedingly difficult to analyze the root cause of a problem. This is because if one user goes down, all users sharing that CallObject kernel go down.

You'll need to be on the right SP to allow 1-User 1-CallObject kernel (look on KG or call JDE for this info). This configuration is less scalable than sharing callobject kernels. But if you are have 5-10 outages a day, it would seem that scalability can take a back seat until you isolate the problems that is hanging your system.

Cheers,

Chris

Don't forget, maintenance includes software upgrades, updates and the latest Tools Releases. Besides, half the time they do a good job. Getting to the right person is always the biggest challenge, but most help desks have that problem.

HI
have you checked the JDBJ connection pool section of the JDBJ.ini file on you JAS server ?
max connections should be 50.
There was a tools release put out recently which had incorrect default value of 5 which caused me issues similar to those you are experiencing.

see below.

[JDBj-CONNECTION POOL]

; The minimum number of connections to a data source. When closing old connections,
; the value set by this parameter will remain in the pool regardless of use.
;
; Valid values: 0 or greater
; Default value: 5

minConnection=5

; The maximum number of connections to a data source for all users. Additional
; database connection requests beyond this value will be queued for the next available
; connection.
;
; Valid values: 1 or greater (must be equal to or greater than "minConnection")
; Default value: 50

maxConnection=50

We is using Webshpere on OraPeeps E811, 8.94, I5 with several LPAR (PRD on 1 LPAR) I don’t know if any of this applies to you or not. First, we changed the I5 so no resource sharing between LPAR, changed the Max Heap on Web App Server down from *NOMAX (despite the warnings), and increased the initial heap a little. Increased net processes to 16 from 4 in jde.ini. Our biggest gain came from the nomax change which seems to help the GC perform more efficiently or something even on total system overload.

Cleaning up the cache via SAW may help but it may just be coincidence (like for us)

We gots help from IBM on Websphere (OraPeeps does not do performance tuning by the way, surprise!)

Can you reproduce performance problems in testing?
Is it just interactive or do batch jobs run slowly?
Is it always slow or intermittent?
Are you monitoring your heap? (SAW System Summary)
Are you monitoring your GCs?
Do you have any vacation coming up?

We reproduced the problem in test, played with some settings, reproduced probs in production after hours and then applied WAS changes then could not reproduce probs in production (like locking the entire system up for 15 minutes while the nomax heap cleared up???) Since our problems have been intermittent we are still skeptical, but since we started tuning things we have had much better response.

Also, we have noticed far too often that the package build process has been running during some of our user complaints of either performance or error messages and since our tuning this has become more apparent.

Good Luck

Mikey,
Do you know what increasing the maxconnection too high would do to the system? I ask because mine is set at 150.
Corky

No, sorry i'm no expert with that.
Its difficult getting assistance with that kind of issue, as you need a websphere guru, not a CNC guru.
I imagine you may have memory issues with it set that high ? How does your server seem to be performing memorywise ?
Maybe performance would be better if you reduced it to 50, and created a vertical clone of your app using Websphere Network Deployment ? The manuals suggest that this will improve performance, as websphere has problems making good use of a servers full resources.

We are in the process of upgrading from WebSphere 4.0 to 5.0.2 using Network Deployment vertical and horizontal cloning. We are also upgrading the OS from W2K to W2K3. We are hoping this will fix some of these issues we have been having. At the same, we are also upgrading Tools Releases from 8.92 to 8.94. We'll see how it goes.
Thanks for your input Mikey.

So, how did the Network Deployment upgrade work for you in terms of improving websphere performance?

Great. Today is our 3rd day and we have not had any of the issues we were having previously with our web servers. I'm not sure what to credit with this improvement. My guess would be the foundation level change from 8.92 to 8.94 is the primary improvement, but ND with WebSphere 5 is probably helping too.

Back