OneWorld, Canon Printers and iSeries

Jay Paff

Hi all,

We have hundreds of OutQ only printer definitions on our iSeries with corresponding printers defined in OneWorld. Recently, my company has made the switch to Canon LAN printers. In order to get the duplex printing to work with the Canon printers, we were instructed by the Canon support company to create printer device descriptions for the Canon printers. Of course, none of my other non-Canon printers have iSeries device descriptions and they work just fine. Soooo, I created the device description and started the writer. OneWorld prints do not work to this print device, they just sit on the OutQ in a sending status. However, if I delete the device description and just create an OutQ, things print. This would be fine, except for duplex printing not working and not being able to select different paper trays on the printer. Has anyone any experience with setting up iSeries Canon printer definitions and getting them to work through OneWorld (Xe)? Is anyone experienced with OutQ definitions on the iSeries, are there print parameters I can specify on the OutQ to select different paper trays?

Thanks in Advance, Jay

Jay,
What model is your Canon printer? I looked at their website and found that some printers only seem to accept a proprietary Canon printer language. OW has very limited printer language translation.
Dave

Check the Canon website .. there is now an application for iSeries you
can download and install (you need to send away for a license code) that
creates a full workstation customisation object to support duplex ,
stapling etc ... its only been available very recently

I haven't tried it myself yet but it might work ..

Canon MFD are touchy when it comes to iSeries use .. if you create a
device description it must use the *IBMSNMPDRV driver (and its still
flaky) otherwise it has to be an outq with the lack of functions
included

825 iSeries , Xe Prod , 8.11 Testing , Citrix , Jetforms

Thanks
George

I hope one of the suggested solutions has worked out for you. Don't you just want to hug the person that got a great deal on those Canon printers?
wink.gif

If you're still searching, I might be able to help. Once upon a time, we needed to get "print immediate" working with a line printer, and specify which tray to print on. I never found a way to specify the tray using the OUTQ. I ended up writing CL/RPG that would specify which tray to print on AFTER the report was sent to the iSeries; the output was directed based on which OUTQ the report was sent to, as well as the report name. Ugly but effective, we just turned the program off after 2 years of running it in the background every 20 seconds! Just send me an email if you want more details (and I really feel for you if you do!)

Thanks so far for all the responses. Its good to know that others love theses Canon printers as much as I do. Keep the responses coming.

Thanks, Jay

Back