Warehouse Automation - DSI vs RFSmart

vchai

Hi Group,

We're looking at some warehouse automation solutions for our ERP 8.0 system. Two that we're looking at actively are RFSmart and DSI. I was wondering if anyone can comment on their solution regarding ease of use, ease of installation, support, ease of modification and integration to ERP 8.0, etc. Any comments to help us decide between the two would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Vincent

We went through the whole vendor evaluations late last year with the two same vendors. In the end, we chose DSI, albiet very close. We could have went either way. With DSI, all the functionality was built into one system. From what I recall, the RFSmart solution had separate applications to handle differnet functionality but was still in the process of integrating their product lines. At the time, in the RFSmart product, there was no user modification functionality.

We couldn't wait for the new product version and didn't want to choose RFSmart and then have to upgrade several months after implementation. I just looked at the ICS website and see they have version 3.0 out which would have been better to compare against DSI. The products may be very similar now. I don't think you will go wrong with whatever you choose.

From the DSI persective:
DSI has a good methodology for coming in and asking a lot of questions during requirement analysis. They'll then go back and code your initial scripts. After that they'll come in and setup your server and get you going with testing and modifications, handheld setup, etc. We did not take any script classes but were able to easily modify the scripts on occasion with the toolset. Support was good.

The DSI solution uses business functions already in EnterpriseOne, in OMW, look for the ND3N objects. I think since your on ERP8, you can use the XML calls. We had to upgrade from Xe Update 5 to Update 8 to get this functionality which speeds the transactions up (changes to Enterprise ini file).

Grant.

A company I worked used DSI but had major problems. They ran all of their CNCs and engineers through trying to resolve it. We swapped out servers and memory trying to resolve an elusive memory leak.
They finally gave up after almost 6 months. We then went with RFSmart and they implemented in 3 weeks and it has been almost flawless.
It was much more scalable as well.

Our RFSmart went live 33 days ago. Good so far.
We spent a year to implement 17 work flows.
Saw you are on ERP 8.0, SP 23, that's good.

Back