Oracle Open World - Useful Information

MichaelSeymour

Just wanted to give you a little information about Oracle Open World. I realize that many of you attended Quest and only have budget for one conference per year, but I think that this year’s Oracle Open World is not to be missed for JD Edwards Customers, especially customers considering or planning an upgrade. There will be over 50 sessions that cover EnterpriseOne content! You can check out the whole course catalog here - Course catalog

I would like to call out 2 particular things in this Oracle Open World that are different than what you have seen before.

Upgrade Workshop
This is probably what I consider to be the highlight of Oracle Open World for JD Edwards’ customers. This session will be four hours and repeated four times at Open World. It will be for customers considering or planning an upgrade from EnterpriseOne XE or 8 (but World customers can get value out of this too). This hands-on workshop will cover key technical differences, project planning, and tools to help plan and execute your upgrade project. Consulting and corporate resources that know a lot about planning and executing upgrades will host the session.

OpenWorld X-Treme
This is the weekend before Oracle Open World and does cost additional, but is well worth it. There will be two types of sessions for you. First and probably most popular will be the hands on labs covering a variety of topics from deploying Web Client, developing Powerforms, and developing integrations using the new Web Services Gateway. We will also have detailed technical sessions that will go to a level of depth normally not seen at conferences, we are going to assume our audience is knowledgeable to be able to really drill into details. These topics include diagnostics and tuning your IBM iSeries. You can find out more information here: X-Treme Weekend

We are also going to have sessions on other hot topics including Unicode, how we are going to uptake Oracle technology, upgrade tips and techniques, optimizing performance, security and web client.

Overall conference ifnromation can be found here: http://www.oracle.com/openworld/sanfrancisco/conference/index.html

Thanks and look forward to seeing you at the conference.
Michael Seymour

I have heard that OpenWorld is more of sales pitch than anything else.. Is this really worth our time and money to attend--? Anyone have any comments? We are definitly looking for more tips/techniques/gotcha's etc.. as we decide on which way to upgrade-- 8.10 or 8.11...

Thanks for any input..

I attended and presented at the last Quest User conference. I would say
that it was a useful conference, especially for obtaining upgrade
information. I have not attended OpenWorld, but have heard the same,
it is more of a sales pitch. From taking a quick look at the
pre-conference agenda, JDE stuff is a pretty small piece of the overall
OpenWorld picture. If your choice is between attending OpenWorld in
August or Quest in April, then head to Quest. But hey, that's just my
$.02 worth...

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

I attended the last PeopleSoft Connect conference in 2004. I would say that for the money, I got a lot more out of it than I did at this years combined OUG/Quest event. Yes, even if you count my blown chance at a cruise. While both events were worth while, there were definitely more educational sessions at Connect which appealed to my interests. If you are an Oracle database shop, which my company is, you can't go wrong.

It is pretty much expected that you are going to get a vendors spin when the vendor is in control of the conference...but at least Oracle is open to the idea of a user driven conference. PeopleSoft wasn't so keen on the idea as I'm sure most folks can recall.

Its a shame what is happening to HP World/Interex. They had to close their doors this year and they have not so subtly blamed HP for the loss of revenue and interest...lets hope the same doesn't happen to the Collaborate event after 2006.

I attended Quest 2004, Connect 2004 and Quest 2005. I think Quest gives you a better bang for the buck. Connect 2004 had 15,000 people. It was a zoo. The Moscone Center is set up in 3 different buildings. You have 15 minutes between session. Moscone East is across a busy street. I got shut out of the more popular session because the rooms only hold so many people and you have to get there early. This year they expect 30,000 people. Good luck to those who attend and please report back. My two cents.

Patty

Here are my thoughts about Oracle Open World

1. I think the content in the Oracle Open World will be more relevant to your current business than last year's Connect. Why? Well, I pretty much determined the session list from both conferences. Last year, the feedback I got from customers was - you had a lot of JDE content, but not enough on Upgrades. So, I came up with the idea of the upgrade workshop I have a feeling the upgrade lab during the week will be one of those can’t miss events. 4 hours dedicated to upgrade from dedicated to upgrade resources from Oracle? Where can you get that kind of information, other than here?

2. Any company-sponsored conference is going to try to sell you stuff, just a fact of life. The EnterpriseOne Technical sessions for the most part are not going to be all that sales oriented. I cannot speak for the rest of the conference, just for our sessions. I actually am going to recant this, we are going to be selling – but selling why you should upgrade.

3. The conference is going to be large, but for the most part the EnterpriseOne Technical sessions will be in the same bldg and close to the same rooms. You may have to walk to a different building for the larger sessions/keynotes.

4. Last year, PeopleSoft was somewhat light on bringing key development/support people in for the conference. At Oracle Open World, there will be at least double the number of EnterpriseOne Technical resources. This means the sessions will have more depth and people will be more equipped to answer questions. The demo grounds will staffed to both answer your questions about current products and to talk about futures.

Here are my tips for the conference:
- I would register for the Upgrade Workshop on Tuesday. This seems to be the day with the least amount of EnterpriseOne Content. Second choice would be Weds.
- Thursday will be the day with the most EnterpriseOne sessions. I know people often like to leave early from these things, but I think it would be better to arrive late and stay for Thursday.
- For the most part the session overlap (key sessions at the same time) is not that bad. However, I have identified one problem and I am in the process of seeing if we can “informally” repeat one of the overlapped sessions. I will post to this board when I know the details.

I have also attached a brochure for your reading pleasure.

Thanks

Attachments

• 94917-JD Edwards EnterpriseOne at Oracle OpenWorld Summary.pdf
    250 KB · Views: 154
So since posting these messages (besides being labeled spam) I have been barraged with the same question - "you say there is a lot of content at OOW for E1 Technical, but it sure doesn't look like it when we peruse the website." I can totally understand that, as I have a hard time finding stuff on these websites. I think the amount of content is evident if you look in the course catalog (http://www28.cplan.com/cv_106/sessions_catalog.jsp). The course content is very stable at this point, but expect some last minute additions/subtractions.

For the Week of Oracle Open World:
1. In the search catalog page, select "Application Technology" for Track down
2. Select search

You will get a lot of entries, the ones that that have significant amount of JDE content (I may have missed one or two but this is the jist),:
HOL106A Workshop for Customers Upgrading from JD Edwards EnterpriseOne XE or 8 to JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 8.11 (Part 1)
HOL106B Workshop for Customers Upgrading from JD Edwards EnterpriseOne XE or 8 to JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 8.11 (Part 2)
S1714 Unicode Your JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications: Dos and Don'ts from an Upgrade Perspective
S1715 Implementing JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Web Client: Tips, Techniques, and Guidance
S1721 Strategies, Tips, and Techniques to Improve your Upgrade of JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
S1946 Applications Lifecycle Management for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne, Today and Beyond
S240 Monitoring JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Security
S605 Leveraging Standards in Oracle E-Business Suite, Peoplesoft Enterprise, and JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications
S606 Process and Integration for Oracle Applications and Oracle's PeopleSoft Enterprise and JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications: The Road Ahead
S690 Putting On Your SOX, One Code Change at a Time
S705 iSeries Security Setup for JD Edwards World and OneWorld
S707 Optimizing Performance of Your JD Edwards EnterpriseOne System
S708 Implementing Oracle Portal with JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications
S709 Development Tips and Techniques for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
S710 Securing Your JD Edwards EnterpriseOne System
S713 Migrating JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications to Oracle Technology
S716 JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools and Technologies Road Map
S717 Upgrading to JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 8.11
S720 Successfully Deploying and Optimizing JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Web Client
S975 Extending the Integration of JD Edwards EnterpriseOne/OneWorld interactive/batch applications and Native iSeries Programs, Using a Generic Business Function
S1604 Unified Process Platform: Human Task to Business Process Management
S1607 Reporting and Analytics for Peoplesoft Enterprise and JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications: A Roadmap
S1640 Top 10 Tuning Tips for PeopleSoft Enterprise and JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications

For the Weekend Event:
1. In the search catalog, select "WKND Applications Technology" for Track drop down
2. Select Search

You will get about 25 sessions, not all are JDE. But the ones with JDE content are:
W1497 Integrating PeopleSoft Enterprise, JD Edwards EnterpriseOne, and JD Edwards World Applications in Oracle Portal
W525 Business Analysis and Simulation Workshop
W535 Developing JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications for Web Deployment
W540 Developing Powerform-Based JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications Kendra Barton ,Oracle
W541 Deploying JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Web Client
W545 Tune Your iSeries for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 8.11
W546 Optimizing Your JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications with Your Oracle Database
W547 JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Maintenence and Diagnostic Tools
We are adding some integration sessions, but they are not up yet. They will be more oriented on lecture. This will pretty much fill up the entire weekend.

I don't know about you, but I think this is a significant amount of content. Certainly more than last year's Connect.

Thanks.
Michael

I don't find this information to be spam in the least. I believe I am in no way biased towards any particular software or hardware vendor, although everyone has their preferences, but I think that your activity on this site is a good thing.

One could take the opinion that anyone who attempts to market or sell anything on this site is guilty of the same offense. This applies to all of the excellent and not so great 3rd party vendors who sell EnterpriseOne and World compatible software products and tools. It also applies to consultants who use this site purely for self marketing purposes. (** I'm not referring to those who contribute to the overall knowledgebase by providing thoughtful answers to questions in addition to marketing their names and businesses.

Relax Mike. If you are referring to the posting labeled "RE: [SPAM] Re: Oracle Open World - Useful Information" I think you will find a reasonable explanation. JdeList is not only a web forum but also a mailing list. It is quite likely that someone's company labels jdelist messages as [SPAM] and this person was simply replying via the mailing list and the [SPAM] label got included in the reply subject.

You work for Oracle and cannot expect to wade into a user's forum without hearing some forthright comments. Now take your licks and make your case.

[ QUOTE ]
So since posting these messages (besides being labeled spam)...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't noticed the actual post labeled '[SPAM]', but now that you mention it, you're likely correct. I also sometimes forget that this site is also a mailing list!

[ QUOTE ]
Relax Mike. If you are referring to the posting labeled "RE: [SPAM] Re: Oracle Open World - Useful Information" I think you will find a reasonable explanation. JdeList is not only a web forum but also a mailing list.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually meant it as a little bit of a joke. You guys are pretty receptive to my posts and I appreciate it.

This helps tremendously ---Thanks for all your help and information given! I am planning to attend the conference (if I can find a hotel
frown.gif
) Thanks again!

Back