speed of file size enlargement gbrspec

rememberme

rememberme

Hi, JDEList!
I have such kind of problem: during the composing of new Full Server Package for PY7334 (OW XE SP19) the speed of file size enlargement ent_serv/jdeow/ddp/b7334/packages/py7334FS/spec/gbrspec.ddb is 50-100Kbps. The file by itself at the end of the process should have the size ~1Gb. Question: How can we speed up this process?
Dep.Serv ( P4 3GHz 2Gb RAM Win2k Server SP4 ) <-1Gbps -> Ent.Serv (Intel Xeon 3GHz 8Gb RAM Win 2003 Server Sp1 MSSQL Server 2000)

How long is it taking to build the gbrspec? With that
hardware specification I would say it is probably
normal for the build of the gbrspec to take 40mins to
an hour.

8 hours
crazy.gif

10x for reply
smile.gif

Do you have indexes on the F98741 table in the central
ojects database? That is the table the gbrspec is
built from.

Indexes shouldn't matter: it does a simple "select * from f98741".

This file is the largest spec file in the system. It will always take a fair amount of time to build.

The package build process does a SELECT * FROM F98741 (as Alex P. point out). It reads a record at a time and then generates the appropriate TAM formatted version. The TAM files are simple indexed sequential files like good old Dbase. One record is read from the F98741 at a time, formatted and then written out to the GBRSPEC.DDB. With 2 million plus records in the F98741 it will take a while. Other than speeding up the underlying system as much as possible -- faster disk subsystem, eliminating network bottlenecks, turning off active virus scanning on .DDB and .XDB files etc. -- there is really not much you can do to speed up the build process.

You will also notice that a significant amount of time is spent building the TAM index, GBRSPEC.XDB. After GBRSPEC.DDB is created the package build process read the file and generates the index. During this time you will notice a large spike in CPU activity on the package build machine.

With your platform specs I would guess that a full package is taking 4 to 5 hours, yes? If so then you are seeing pretty standard build times.

Regards,

Back