JAS Errors for WebSphere 5.0.2 on Intel and slow Performance

Jay Paff

Hi all,

We are running WebSphere 5.0.2.3 on IntelNT going against a iSeries 550 EnterpriseOne server running Xe SP23_F1. I know that SP23 had a bug where debug was turned on by default and can't be turned off and this is fixed in a later One-off. My question; Is anyone seeing the following error message in their JAS log and what does it mean?

2005-07-22 15:22:25.466 [ Worker Thread - OWVirtual_Thread_Group7 Assigned To com.jdedwards.runtime.virtual.OWVirtual@26cecb23] JDBC : JdeJdeBLOB->StoreBLOBOverflow
java.sql.SQLException: [SQL0803] Duplicate key value specified.

Even though Oracle says we should be able to run hundreds of folks on our configuration, our Web performance is horrid and is getting worse as more people use it. Currently, we maybe peak at 30 connections total and response is in the 10s of seconds and sometimes over a minute. I have done all the standard tuning things, like moving the ODBCs to a separate share pool, implementing HTTP compression, jacking up the heap size and turning off class GC and still performance is suckie. Has anyone found any magic bullets that make a world of diffence for Web performance? To contrast this, Citrix response is great (sub-second generally) so I believe the issues lie with the Web configuration specifics like the JAS.INI file. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.
confused.gif

For your performance issue it may be possible to fix it manually.

Look in HTMLClient.ini for the line byPassSerializableObjCache and make sure it says

byPassSerializableObjCache=FALSE

You must do this or your performance will continue to be poor.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all,

We are running WebSphere 5.0.2.3 on IntelNT going against a iSeries 550 EnterpriseOne server running Xe SP23_F1. I know that SP23 had a bug where debug was turned on by default and can't be turned off and this is fixed in a later One-off. My question; Is anyone seeing the following error message in their JAS log and what does it mean?

2005-07-22 15:22:25.466 [ Worker Thread - OWVirtual_Thread_Group7 Assigned To com.jdedwards.runtime.virtual.OWVirtual@26cecb23] JDBC : JdeJdeBLOB->StoreBLOBOverflow
java.sql.SQLException: [SQL0803] Duplicate key value specified.

Even though Oracle says we should be able to run hundreds of folks on our configuration, our Web performance is horrid and is getting worse as more people use it. Currently, we maybe peak at 30 connections total and response is in the 10s of seconds and sometimes over a minute. I have done all the standard tuning things, like moving the ODBCs to a separate share pool, implementing HTTP compression, jacking up the heap size and turning off class GC and still performance is suckie. Has anyone found any magic bullets that make a world of diffence for Web performance? To contrast this, Citrix response is great (sub-second generally) so I believe the issues lie with the Web configuration specifics like the JAS.INI file. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Brother,

Already done that based off of yours and others suggestions in the past. Essentially, I think I have done or tried almost every suggestion out there with no luck. So thanks to you and everyone else!

Unfortunately, our site runs so much customized stuff that its a wonder any of it performs well. As given to me by the Powers that Be; the app I have to judge performance against is Work with WO. This app has been modified to return 75 rows in a single fetch (I know, I know, we have to lie in the grave we dig for ourselves) however no amount of cajoling will convince the Powers that we need to be at 10 rows. The Powers feel that if Citrix can return 75 rows in less than 2 seconds, than 12 to 15 seconds is unreasonable for Web.

After 8 months of extensive work with my Intel Web configuration, going through numerous reinstalls, tuning JAS.INI on the enterprise and web servers, HTMLClient.ini, httpd.conf for compression, tuning heaps, garbage collection and threads, etc. Doing all of this without comprehensive documentation that is applicable to my configuration. CONCLUSION: The only real improvement I'll be able to make is to simplify my environment i.e. AIO.

As a buddy jokes about my company, "Standards? We have so many standards we don't know which ones to follow!" Well my spin for WAS/JAS/HTTP docmentation, "Documents? There are so may documents you'll be lucky to stumble upon all that you need for your environment!" CONCLUSION: For E1 Web, you better only follow Oracle's documentation, because IBM's documentation may not apply to your particular version of things. So Oracle better give us what we need and not tell us to talk to IBM!

Wow! More than you wanted to hear is it? I guess a little of my frustration is showing through.

I understand, corporate life is a bit frustrating.

Take a read of this:

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.
"Not very long," answered the Mexican.
"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American.

The Mexican fisherman explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.
The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"
"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs... I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat. With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers.
Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can negotiate directly With the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City or Los Angeles! From there you can direct your huge enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.
"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.
"And after that?"
"Afterwards? That's when it gets really interesting," answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!"
"Millions? Really? And after that?"

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife, and spend your evenings while having a few drinks, play your guitar and enjoying your friends."

[ QUOTE ]

Wow! More than you wanted to hear is it? I guess a little of my frustration is showing through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back