Task View Question for 8.10 (Web Client)

ARJOHNSON

When making a change to task views right now in XE .. the change can be seen right away..
With the HMTL client in either 8.10 or 8.11--

1)do you have to regen objects for that task view change?
2)Can users be on when the regen is occuring?
3)If a regen is necessary.. do the users just log off and back on to see the changes once it has completed?

Thanks!
Angie
XE Update 7, SP23_T1

[ QUOTE ]
When making a change to task views right now in XE .. the change can be seen right away..
With the HMTL client in either 8.10 or 8.11--

do you have to regen objects for that task view change?

[/ QUOTE ]

Angie,

Web client menus are generated in real time from a table. So no, a regen is not needed for a menu change. If the object is new or changed, then you will need to regen and you will need to stop and restart Websphere for the object to be used. Since you are using Solution Explorer in XE, you are one step ahead of most clients who are looking to upgrade to 8.10 or 8.11. For those clients, they will need to upgrade their menus from OneWorld to Solution Explorer first, and then do their upgrade. If anyone is interested in that process, I can send you a whitepaper on that topic.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Thanks for the reply Gregg. It's been over a year since I took the Web class at JDE.. We're still trying to decide if we will go with the web client when we upgrade to either 8.10 or 8.11. So I'm trying familiarize myself again with HTML basics.

Angie,

With 8.10, you can choose between web or citrix. With 8.11, you're "all
in" on the web. Take a look at the migration path to Fusion. If
you go that route, I don't think that you can go directly from 8.10 but
you can from 8.11

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.
175 E Park Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150
(716) 879-3169

Gregg-- In regard to 8.11.. I've heard that it's all web client.. however one of our developers stated yesterday that they saw a post out on JDELIST that mentioned that 8.11 works with citrix as well. Just wondering if citrix works with 8.11 however it's just not supported?

No, 8.11 does not work and is not supported with citrix. In 8.11 and
beyond, JdOraSoft is introducing powerforms. Powerforms are only
availible on the browser. They have inserted a flag into the
application to only allow development and admin tools to process on a fat
client. 8.11 Developers will need to continue to use the standard
tools, but need to add one more tool. They will need to have Websphere
Express installed on their fat clients to allow them to gen the object.
In a later release, my guess 8.12, the admin tools will be web enabled.
It is asking too much to completely change the development tools over to
developing directly in html. We'll see that change in Fusion.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

Hi,

What they're doing is installing 8.11 Web client on a
Citrix server and letting users access the Web
interface from their Citrix Clients.
In a few words, they're publishing IEXPLORE.EXE
with a link to their Web Server.
Seems to be more WAN-efficient that 8.11 HTML traffic
alone.

[ QUOTE ]
What they're doing is installing 8.11 Web client on a Citrix server and letting users access the Web interface from their Citrix Clients.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are real pluses to this approach. The biggest being IT control over the browser. IT can control the web service packs and patches as well as standardize on one specific web client instead of trying to trouble shoot someone's JDE client issue on a beta version of Mozella running on a Linux gui hosted by a Mac running a G4 processer. OK, that is a little extreme, but you get my point. We have enough issues to deal with to keep JDE running smoothly, adding in multiple wild cards with the browsers will just make life that much more challenging.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

Yes - 8.11 does work on TS. NO - 8.11 does not work as a FAT or THIN client - it works as a Web Client ONLY.

When someone states that 8.11 is working on a TS, they are stating that the user logs into the TS, then runs the web client from there. The benefits of using the TS is (or can be); performance (since some desktops sux), security and more security.

It's easier to maintain Web Client security on a few TS's than it is a few thousand desktops. If you require your employees to log into a TS and run IE (or other browser) from the TS - you can better fight Spyware, Viruses, and directed surfing (you can strictly point user to ONLY JDE or redirect them from the internet to the Intranet).

8.11 does use FAT Client Tools for development - but, like Greg stated - the developer must have WSEX installed in order to test applications.

HTH

(db)

With what you mentioned though.. aren't you then providing and supporting both the web client/servers and a CITRIX farm; seems very costly and inefficient?

This is Great information-- I really appreciate the feedback!

Hi Angie,

Unfortunately, 8.xx Web Client is very inefficient, how
can a Web thin client need 512 Mb RAM and PIII CPUs???
As Larkin said, you gain security and maintenance
simplicity by publishing it on a Citrix farm.

Angie,

Let's say you have three hundred users, all with different machines of different configurations... Maintaining IE (or other web browser) on several hundred machines, making sure that Anti-Virus, Security Patches, Spyware Updates and PEBKAC issues are all properly configured for optimal JDE Web Performance - can be a real nightmare.

Now move those 300 user to a TS/Citrix farm and have them run the JDE Web Client from there. You might have a dozen TSs to maintain - which is FAR better than 300 individually customized machines. The Cost to the support staff (for the JDE Experience, anyway) dwindles, remarkably!

BUT - the cost of the beefy TSs to handle the users is the Flip-Side of the coin.

IMHO

(db)

[ QUOTE ]
With what you mentioned though.. aren't you then providing and supporting both the web client/servers and a CITRIX farm; seems very costly and inefficient?

[/ QUOTE ]

Angie,

you don't HAVE to run 8.11 as a published application on a Citrix farm. The corporate behemoth that is writing the software has not made this a recommendation. Yet. But as you can see, some of the more vocal and senior CNCs on this list are making their recommendations. Look at it this way, you just received several hundred dollars worth of free advice.......

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

Angie,

you don't HAVE to run 8.11 as a published application on a Citrix farm. The corporate behemoth that is writing the software has not made this a recommendation. Yet. But as you can see, some of the more vocal and senior CNCs on this list are making their recommendations. Look at it this way, you just received several hundred dollars worth of free advice.......

Gregg-- Absolutely.. I understand that. It just seemed as though it was redundant.. to have users accessing JDE html client on their desktop as well as supporting them through Citrix. I would think it would be easier to go with one way or the other. Just my 2 cents.

In our case.. I'm afraid we just won't have everyone (especially AR users) sold on the HTML client.. hence my question on whether or not HTML client was mandatory in 8.11 --which from all the information to this post -- it is regardless of whether it's used via citrix or on the desktop.

I'm grateful for the many post to this question. It's great to get back so much information!

Back