Snapshot on the Deployment Server

wloban

Well Known Member
I am preparing to install 8.10 on the deployment server where Xe is currently installed. I would like the ability to be able to access Xe for the installation of Esus if the need arises. Can I use snapshot to save off the Xe install prior to installing 8.10? If so, do I need to install 8.10 in the same folder as Xe?

Thanks,
Bill

Well OraSoftEdwards says that you can use the snapshot on the Deployment Server for upgrades.

I used it my self to save my 8.10 snapshot before starting my 8.11 upgrade. So far so good, but I havent tried restoring the 8.10 snapshot as yet on the Deployment Server so cant give you any "gotchas" as yet..

Check out the solution id - 200783328 on KG. It gives you the steps and do's and dont's. If you cant locate it I can send it to you

Bill,

I have done this many times, just ensure that the snapshot folder is actually B7333, this is different to how you would do it on a client, it takes a shot of registry, windows files, c: root files and put it in the B7333 folder.

Because 8.10 has an MSDE engine instead of access I would be tempted to change the snapshot.exe to the one delivered with 8.10 or latest SP.

FYI E810 installs by default to X:\Peoplesoft\E810 so there is no issue with folder naming, the two can co-exist quite happily and you can toggle between the two, again ensure that you snapshot 810 its its own shared folder. The only time I had a problem with it turned out to be a virus on the DepServer.

Paul

Hi all,

I got a big problem now. When I switch the system from 8.10 back to Xe, I forget to save and just click restore. Now when i try to login to OneWorld, it prompt me 'Licence Violation' - You are not licensed to execute this application. For more information please contact your J.D.Edwards Sales Representative. Is there any solution to fix the problem? Please help.

ITKen.

Hello
I believe that some issue may occur with OCX registration while using snapshot on the Deployment Server.
Do not forget to run the utility provided by JDE :
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 d:\peoplesoft\e810\system\bin32\jdectocx.ocx
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 d:\peoplesoft\e810\system\bin32\jdeocx.ocx
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 d:\peoplesoft\e810\system\bin32\dataitem.ocx
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 d:\peoplesoft\e810\system\bin32\Design.ocx
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 d:\peoplesoft\e810\system\bin32\RDAReportview.ocx </pre><hr />
when switching to EO 8.10 or the same script with modified paths when switching to Xe.
Regards,
Loïc

I've used SnapShot on a deployment server before. Don't like it; don't recommend it. Use another server for your 8.10 upgrade. It will work much better and you don't have to worry about what third party software is compatible with what JDE release.

Hi List, we have the following problem. when we were changing the snapshot from 8.10 to 8.0 on the deployment server, we forgot to save the old one and restored the new one. this gave us an error. when we clicked out of the error we found that the 8.0 instance was not logging us in. it was giving a "Licence Violation - You are not licensed to execute this application. For more information please contact your J.D.Edwards Sales Representative." error.

After further research on this forum we copied the old jdeapp, jdeauth, jdemod, jdespec .ddp and .xdp files to the current instance and the application allowed us to log in.

However now we find that the snapshot has affected the registry entry. Even after we transfer to 8.10 the registry is still pointing to 8.0. This is giving the attached jde.log, which basically says it cant find the correct registry entry (i think)

Has anybody encountered and resolved such an issue. Both we and our CNC consultant are entering unknown territory here so we cant say how serious this problem is. We might be constrained by not having adequate backups of the deployment server before the problem occurred since our backup tapes go back just one week.

Pls help

Best regards

Shrikanth

Attachments

• 95059-jdeerror.txt
    10.9 KB · Views: 374
Hi,

If I were you, I would run the first CD of Deployment
Setup on a isolated PC (same machine name, disk
partitions, OS, DB client, MDAC, C++, Adobe, etc. of
your true Deployment).
There's no need to run all CDs, just the first.
Then, I would export/import the missing regkeys from
/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/JDEdwards to your Deployment.
You can copy them by floppy, USB drive, CDRW, etc.
I would take a look at the REG file before applying
to compare both versions to find out what is missing.

Sebastian Sajaroff

I've had this same type of thing happen to me as well. Not sure if Snapshot was the culprit or upgrading the server to a new operating system. All I did was manually change the name of the B7334 folder to B7334bak with the ERP8 snapshot active. Remove the JD Edwards entries in the registry. Reinstall ERP8 on the deployment server from the CD without any pathcodes (requires licensing but the SPCService.exe application makes this less of a hassel now). Then copy the contents of the B7334bak to the new B7334 folder. You can do the same for the 8.10 side as well. As long as you have your folder structure saved you should be fine.

This process fixed the problems I had. I hope it helps you.

Kevin

Thanks a lot Sebastian and Kevin for your ideas. Atleast we have a direction to follow now. I shall report back on our progress soon. Thanks again

Best regards
Shrikanth

Back